Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Ridgeline has 35930 miles (I'm old and, alas, don't drive as much as I used to). When I went in today for air bag recall service and State Inspection I was informed as follows:
I should have timing belt package installed (water pump, crank seals, drive belts, coolant exchange) because of vehicles age--6 and one half years--not mileage. Honda, I'm told, states that "whichever comes first", age or mileage, requires this action. Cost: $989 Dealer also states that the Timing Tensioner is "starting to leak fluid" and should be replaced along with the belt package. Cost: $173.88
Dealer further states that the "transmission fluid is discolored" requiring a transmission fluid exchange. Cost: $199
Total estimate: (tax included) $1491.26

Yikes! I haven't towed anything or driven in sub-zero weather, etc.; the engine temp has always hit the same spot and stayed there. Please advise.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
It's probably worth doing. Age can affect various components.
Timing tensioner is normally part of the 'TB package' also.

Regular changes of ATF would avoid blackened fluid and a change now. I had a fluid exchange (not a 'flush') done for $140 including the fluid.

Regardless of who does it, you are smart to have the fluid changed. Don't forget the transfer assembly and rear diff (VTM) if you have not kept up on those.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
That's insane! Go find a nice shop and get that done for half that. Just because you're old and paid everything off , don't go wasting your money. I'll bet the tensioner is not leaking and the tranny fluid is fine. You can certainly change it but I highly doubt you're in any trouble....with your truck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yikes! I wonder if that is the original transmission fluid.

Concerning the timing belt service - BS on the tensioner - No way they would know it is leaking unless they take a lot of parts off. I had mine done at 7 years and 52K, but I am a worry wort as my mom used to say. The parts including the tensioner looked new. If I keep it long enough I will not do another TB service until 10 years or so. The tensioner may give you a clue if it is going bad. You can google how it sounds on RL or Odyssey and the sound is rather noticeable.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Ross, are you the original owner? If you are, or are not, can you track your maintenance history back to see what has been done to your RL? There are a few things that I believe time over mileage should be changed, but the owners' manual is a good place to double check on what the dealership says. My dealership often recommends services that don't match what my Maintenance Minder says, which is what I go by.

If you have not had fluids changed, or cannot document that the were changed; i.e. transmission, VTM4, brake fluid etc. it would be good to do so, but again, it's all about what's been done thus far. Like another post said about going to an independent shop, have them inspect your timing belt etc. to see what shape it's in. Personally, with my 2007 with 79K, I'll be looking at it on the mileage scale, not time.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Somebody's tryin' to hose you down big time. Trans fluid change is easier than oil & filter.
Just get that done at any reputable shop.

Regarding the TB, I'd do it at 10 years.... but I don't know what this "inspection" deal is; are you "required" to do what they tell you to? If not, wait for the 10 year mark.... you'll be fine unless you're in severe operating conditions.

As for the leaky tensioner..... how can they tell, unless they took off the timing belt cover???? If they found fluid leaking in that area, then OK - get the job done. BUT I am highly suspect that this is the case. Everything about this smells big time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 2006 Ridgeline has 35930 miles (I'm old and, alas, don't drive as much as I used to). When I went in today for air bag recall service and State Inspection I was informed as follows:
I should have timing belt package installed (water pump, crank seals, drive belts, coolant exchange) because of vehicles age--6 and one half years--not mileage. Honda, I'm told, states that "whichever comes first", age or mileage, requires this action. Cost: $989 Dealer also states that the Timing Tensioner is "starting to leak fluid" and should be replaced along with the belt package. Cost: $173.88
Dealer further states that the "transmission fluid is discolored" requiring a transmission fluid exchange. Cost: $199
Total estimate: (tax included) $1491.26

Yikes! I haven't towed anything or driven in sub-zero weather, etc.; the engine temp has always hit the same spot and stayed there. Please advise.
I just bought a 2006 Ridgeline with 80,500 miles and took it to a local dealership to get new keys programmed. They recommended $2100 or so of services be done, including the timing belt (they quoted me $1400 for that), replacing a bad motor mount, fixing an oil leak, changing fluids, replacing spark plugs, and replacing windshield wipers.

The engine cranks and drives fine, so I'm not worried about spark plugs yet. No major movement when shifting or revving, so I'm not worried about motor mounts yet. Not leaving any oil spots in driveway or parking lot at work and I can't smell any burning off, so oil leak is not a major concern at the moment. I did change the windshield wipers myself for less than half of the $85 they quoted me, and I changed my transmission fluid and rear differential fluid myself for <$100.

I am letting the timing belt ride for a year until I get closer to 100k miles.

This is not a recommendation for you to do the same, but my wife's former Santa Fe had a timing belt replacement schedule of 60k miles. We finally remembered to do it at 115k, and the mechanic showed me the old one after he took it off. It looked fine.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
You should schedule the timing belt service. 7 years is what the manufacturer (Gates) recommends. No need to go to the dealer - you can go to a trusted mechanic to get the work done.

Not sure how they know the timing belt tensioner is leaking without removing the cover...

Your spark plugs are probably fine, but you should get them re-tightened to avoid Cylinder #4 issues.

Doing a drain + fill on the transmission fluid isn't a bad idea, given the age and how you're over 30k miles.

Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years (2 years if you live on the coast), regardless of miles. It absorbs humidity from the air and goes bad over time.

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts
Ross,

I'm confused, how can your 2006 Ridgeline be 6 1/2 years old? My 2006, I purchased in June 2005, and has a date of manufacture of March 2005, so my belts were 123 months old when I replaced them last month.

My minimum estimate is it's 9 years old, and somewhere in the forum was a post that Honda originally recommended the Timing Belt Change at 105k miles but later updated it to 84 months or 105k miles or which ever comes first. Your Belt is at least 108 months old, since we do not know the date of manufacture, and this is an interference engine, meaning if it fails your rebuilding the engine minimum $3500-$5000. I can tell you from experience the belt will go from "looking" fine to fail with no notice. Also to truly inspect a timing belt, timing belt tensioner, everything is apart, at that point just replace the parts.

Since those prices are from a Honda Dealer I can tell you that they fall right in line with several dealers I called here in California, (San Bernardino County). I had to look at it like this 2 payments to replace those parts were much less expensive than replacing or rebuilding the engine. I got the service, of all those parts, excluding the ATF for less than $1000, with a coupon mailed from Honda, which was 30% off at any Honda Dealer.

I also believe the Transmission Fluid will show up on the maintenance minder system at approximately 30,000 miles. As several moderators on this site have said in the past, Honda's like fresh fluids. Also since it's a 2006, it is probably still Honda ATF Z1, and not the newer Honda ATF DW-1, which to truly change it out would require a minimum of 3 Drain and Fills, although not necessary, unless your seeing transmission shifting problems, towing, or suspecting cross contamination between the ATF and Coolant.

Personally I'd wait a few weeks and you'll probably get a similar flyer(junk mail) from Honda with service specials, 30% off timing belt package, $149.99 ATF Change, along with several other discounted services.

Unfortunately with the minimum info in your profile it is difficult to recommend a Dealership or Local Honda Shop, or even a forum member who may be willing to help.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,587 Posts
Ross,

I'm confused, how can your 2006 Ridgeline be 6 1/2 years old? My 2006, I purchased in June 2005, and has a date of manufacture of March 2005, so my belts were 123 months old when I replaced them last month.

My minimum estimate is it's 9 years old, and somewhere in the forum was a post that Honda originally recommended the Timing Belt Change at 105k miles but later updated it to 84 months or 105k miles or which ever comes first. Your Belt is at least 108 months old, since we do not know the date of manufacture, and this is an interference engine, meaning if it fails your rebuilding the engine minimum $3500-$5000. I can tell you from experience the belt will go from "looking" fine to fail with no notice. Also to truly inspect a timing belt, timing belt tensioner, everything is apart, at that point just replace the parts.

Since those prices are from a Honda Dealer I can tell you that they fall right in line with several dealers I called here in California, (San Bernardino County). I had to look at it like this 2 payments to replace those parts were much less expensive than replacing or rebuilding the engine. I got the service, of all those parts, excluding the ATF for less than $1000, with a coupon mailed from Honda, which was 30% off at any Honda Dealer.

I also believe the Transmission Fluid will show up on the maintenance minder system at approximately 30,000 miles. As several moderators on this site have said in the past, Honda's like fresh fluids. Also since it's a 2006, it is probably still Honda ATF Z1, and not the newer Honda ATF DW-1, which to truly change it out would require a minimum of 3 Drain and Fills, although not necessary, unless your seeing transmission shifting problems, towing, or suspecting cross contamination between the ATF and Coolant.

Personally I'd wait a few weeks and you'll probably get a similar flyer(junk mail) from Honda with service specials, 30% off timing belt package, $149.99 ATF Change, along with several other discounted services.

Unfortunately with the minimum info in your profile it is difficult to recommend a Dealership or Local Honda Shop, or even a forum member who may be willing to help.

Good Luck
Perhaps there is a conspiracy in California for Honda dealers to overcharge for the timing belt service??

A decent price for the COMPLETE service is around $700.

Here's one for $580 plus tax including the tensioner. Do some shopping for the timing belt service!

http://www.andersonhonda.net/Specia...R_PUMP-Cockeysville-MD/14479860?cs:o=14479860

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts
Which is why if we knew where he was we could recommend something.

Don't forget in CA our taxes are higher than MD, and there are waste disposal fees. I'm also certain the hourly rate in CA is higher than elsewhere.

MY OTD price with Timing Belt, Tensioner, Serpentine Belt, Coolant (2 Gal, even though we all know it needs about 1.5 Gal), Cam Seals & Crank Seal (approximately $170 worth of parts), I trust the Dealer I took it to, after calling 4 other dealers, two of them were $30-$50 less but 1.5hr and 2 hrs of driving and a day off work not really worth it.

And the local independent shop was actually about $180 higher than my local Honda Dealer, considering the coupon.

And the Deal at Anderson looks "GREAT" but the 2500 mile trip one way isn't worth it even if I could visit my family in the area

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,069 Posts
If it were me, I would do the change being that the truck (and belt) are now 9-10 years old. You may be able to go five more years with no problems, but I really wouldn't stretch it that far. It's a necessary service. Assuming you've owned the truck since new, you've already gotten many good years of service from it. If you'd like to keep it going, the major maintenance items probably need to be considered. I had the timing belt service done along with replacing the water pump, tensioner and seals for $710 out the door. A good mechanic can do the job in about 2.5-3 hours. The parts are only about $300-350 retail and less for a dealership, I'm sure. Nonetheless, if your fluid maintenance (other than engine oil) has been lacking, I'd do those as well - tranny fluid, front transfer case gear lube, rear diff VTM-4 fluid, brake fluid and power steering fluid. Your spark plugs are likely fine, but, as suggested, I would have them checked for proper torque. It'll be like a new truck when you're all done.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well..... My 2 cents is no way on the belt..maybe..maybe..in a few years. There has been no known original timing belt breaking ever that i am aware of on rl.

Way over priced for tranny fluid. I just did my own and a crv all the fluids and dif and paid retail at dealer for honda fluids 120 bucks. If u are not doing the tranny and dif yourself..buy the fluids from honda and find a mechanic that will do it for you.
Timing belt with pump and tensioner is expensive by me too about 1200. Did it myself.
Oh ya, my tensioner was leaking when replaced but was at 150000 miles.

I wouldnt change plugs til 100000 miles imo.
While at it if it was my 06 i would flush brakes as well.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I thought you were talking about a fluid exchange not a D&F. I agree it should not be anywhere that high, regardless.
And the tensioner should be part of the TB package.
I agree on checking the plugs for torque, but outside of the TB change, fluid changes are most critical.
I have seen other ridiculous prices across the country, not only CA but we likely don't have the lowest. Someone quoted something just over $500 for a complete TB job several months ago. Must have been a special deal.

The other resource is to use a reputable independent mechanic that is OK with you bringing in your own fluids at a much lower price.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I did change the windshield wipers myself for less than half of the $85 they quoted me,
Just pulled this out of your post WesM. The dealership replaced my wipers during and oil change for $13.00!

Seriously, I just want to reiterate the importance of knowing the maintenance history of the vehicle you are buying. I assume the OP is the original owner, but some posts and other threads make me cringe when people buy used RL's without knowing their maintenance history. IMHO maintenance records can add or detract from the RL's value at resale on the private market.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just had my TB replaced, 285000 KM and it was bad. The previous owner did nothing in the way of recommended service at all. Did not replace water pump or hydraulic tensioner. Both looked like new. Did replace idlers and one bolt was loose causing oil leak. Got the parts from a jobber and had a small shop do the work, very reasonable.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Crank seals?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,860 Posts
Personally, I am not concerned about the 7 year TB change.

When Honda published a maintenance schedule (never for the RL), the normal service schedule called for a TB change at 105k miles or 7 years. But now that Honda has gone to the MM system (maintenance minder ... beginning in 2006 for both the Pilot and the RL), there is no published time frame for a TB change. The only time related maintenance items are brake fluid (every 3 years) and if minimal miles are driven, an oil change every 12 months.

If you are in the severe service category, the maintenance intervals are halved on several items (tranny fluid, rear diff (VTM-4 fluid), TB change, etc.)

My 2006 Pilot now has 120k miles on it and is approaching 10 years of age. I plan to get the TB service done soon, but am in no particular hurry. My 2008 RL is approaching 7 years of age with 95k miles. I'll probably look at getting the TB service done on it around 120k miles.

If you like a spirited debate, you might ask the dealer to show you in the owner's manual exactly where it says the TB service should be done at 7 years. You'll probably get a schpiel about the dealer's service being more conservative than the OM (likely true, but not for altruistic reasons).

All that being said, I am a fluid change-a-holic and like to keep my fluids fresh (tranny fluid every other oil change, VTM-4 and transfer assembly hypoid gear oil every 30k, brake fluid every 3 years-ish, power steering fluid every 50k-ish miles, coolant every 50k-ish miles, etc.)

My opinion only, of course. As usual, YMMV.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts