Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a timing belt with a friend on my 2006 RTL over the weekend at the 114k mile mark.

Replaced timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idlers, drive belt and all fasteners for tensioner, idler, WP. Used an Aisin kit, parts quality was top notch. Cheap on Amazon.

Went much smoother than anticipated. I was worried about getting the timing right so I did it with a friend who has experience from professional work in the past. Oh yeah, and he has a lift :act035:

Tensioner held what seemed like good tension, but was leaking some hydraulic fluid.

Belt looked strong, but thinner than the replacement. The insides of the timing covers were coated with rubber dust which could explain this.

Coolant looked clean and clear.

There was more more room to work than I expected. Much better working on a Honda than my old SAAB 9-5.

Prior to the TB service, I was getting a slow loss of coolant in the reservoir and a faint smell of coolant on occasion at shutdown. It seems that the o-ring was starting to fail at the top of the water pump, see attached. No coolant smell since, hoping that took care of it.

Douched the PS fluid out while I was in there too, fluid looked foul. Much quieter steering now at parking lot speeds.

To my odd question...

I have never been fully satisfied with the tranny in this truck. Seems to want to hunt around when accelerating (moderately) from a low speed corner. 5-10 mph range, like coasting to an intersection and turning right.

Since doing the TB service, this seems to have greatly improved. What possibly could have contributed to this?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Not sure what your work could have done to change the transmission shifting. The only remote possibility is the coolant change could be keeping the temps in there under better control.

Did you check the washer on the radiator that rusts? It's on one of the transmission fluid lines, and while not a common failure point, it does go bad with catastrophic consequences.

Chip H.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Only possibility I can imagine would be if a sensor of some kind was "disturbed" during this service and actually reconnected something where the connector was not fully engaged previously??? Did you do any work under the steering wheel near the pedals?.... the accelerator pedal position sensor is there. Crank position sensor is down below & there are some others that I suppose could have an impact. Can't imagine why else a TB service would cause a change. There's also a camshaft position sensor.... I suppose if your tensioner was really bad, maybe the fluctuation in cam position 'could' have an impact???? Seems reachy....

Anyway, glad to know you've experienced improvement. FYI, there was also some kind of tranny firmware upgrade (or something like that) available via TSB to the early RLs, but unless you had it done under warranty, I'm thinking you'd get charged for it now. If you experience the problem again, you might want to stop by the dealer & ask about that.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
Only possibility I can think of if you disconnected the Battery and the computer had to "relearn" everything.

I had the TSB on my Transmission back when it first came out and honestly I didn't really notice an improvement or real change except in freeway driving.

My biggest change in the Transmission was when I did the change full Honda synthetic

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Still a belt...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts