Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Ridgeline with 14,000 miles and I am confused by the many posts about changing the timing belt. Some say wait for the Maintenance Minder to tell you and others say it needs to be changed at 84 months.

So what does Honda say for the drivers like me that put few miles on their vehicle? I do not see anything in the manual and the dealer has it’s own version of the changing cycles. I guess while
I have everyone’s attention, what about changing the other fluids? Right now, I change the oil every 10 months and changed out the transmission, transfer case, differential and brake fluids every three years. Does this sound right? My thought is fresh fluids cannot hurt, well except for my wallet.

·
Registered
419 Posts
1750 miles per year? I think you should sell the truck and rent one when you need it.

My wife has a 2012 Pilot and it now has 130K miles. I did her timing belt, tensioner, water pump, serpentine belt and coolant at 7 years and 105K miles. Everything looked brand new. Even spark plugs.

That said it's an interference engine. There is no second chance. You will not hear the belt break or slip a tooth. There is no warning. One minute everything is fine. Next the engine is a boat anchor.

I've had two non-interference engines break their timing belts. You just coast to the side of the road and call a cab. Line everything up, pop on a new belt and you're golden.

I had one interference engine that I sloppily installed a new timing belt. The engine was toast before the starter stopped spinning. Had to pull the head. All new valves and guides. Never ran right again.

Your choice.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,257 Posts
According to page 326 of your owner's manual, if you are not putting a lot of miles on your Ridgeline you should change your engine oil every year, brake fluid every three years, and I am not certain of the other fluids. The timing belt is rubber and rubber will degrade over time. How long that takes would be a guess on my part, so maybe every ten years, maybe. From a mechanic's perspective, when you do decide to change your timing belt, replace your water pump because you already have to mess with it to get to the timing belt. Since the water pump will naturally deteriorate due to the fluids it pumps, it would probably need to be replaced by the time you do your belt..

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to page 326 of your owner's manual, if you are not putting a lot of miles on your Ridgeline you should change your engine oil every year, brake fluid every three years, and I am not certain of the other fluids. The timing belt is rubber and rubber will degrade over time. How long that takes would be a guess on my part, so maybe every ten years, maybe. From a mechanic's perspective, when you do decide to change your timing belt, replace your water pump because you already have to mess with it to get to the timing belt. Since the water pump will naturally deteriorate due to the fluids it pumps, it would probably need to be replaced by the time you do your belt..
View attachment 398979

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. Looking over the chart it looks like B4 will indicate a timing belt change. I know from other post the magical number for the change is 105,000 miles. However, people like me will not see 105k and since I have gone by the 84 months that some posters have mentioned and no code, I can only guess the MM does not throw a code involving months. I am still looking to see if Honda has a recommendation for the belt change based on time. I see it for the oil (once a year).

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,257 Posts
Thanks for the information. Looking over the chart it looks like B4 will indicate a timing belt change. I know from other post the magical number for the change is 105,000 miles. However, people like me will not see 105k and since I have gone by the 84 months that some posters have mentioned and no code, I can only guess the MM does not throw a code involving months. I am still looking to see if Honda has a recommendation for the belt change based on time. I see it for the oil (once a year).
Contact your local dealer and see what their service department says.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Dealer will almost certainly say change it and they will make a tidy sum of $ when they do. The Maintenance Minder on the GenI does not take into account time so you will not get a timing belt code until the oil change interval closest to 105k miles.
Honda does not have an official spec for time for the timing belt. You will need to decide for yourself. I personally don't think you need to be in a huge rush and I would probably wait till the 10 year mark (which is probably between 1 and 2 years from now). Typically at 105k miles you would change the timing belt, timing belt tensionsers, the serpentine belt, water pump, coolant and maybe some of engine seals. You would also change the spark plugs and do a valve clearance adjustment. Since you will likely have so little miles at the 10 year mark you would probably be fine with just the rubber timing belt, serp belt and coolant. You might also consider doing the radiator to mitigate any risk of SMOD. While you are waiting for the 10 year mark, check around for a good shop to do the work.
Have fun!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I replaced the timing belt, tensioner (but neither tensioner nor idler pulleys or bearings), water pump, and accessory drive belt a couple weeks ago on my '13. It was a slightly slow process, but actually easier than some others overall. I have ~~105k miles on it. I live in a place where one can reasonably argue that Honda's replacement interval is 60k miles, not 105k, but I waited until now.

If I didn't put hardly any miles on the pickup, I know I'd let it run for 10 years absent some other compelling reason to change it. Maybe more? IDK.

My own suggestion is to at least remove the spark plugs and re-install them with a small amount of anti-seize, as the service manual directs, so that they don't weld themselves to the threads in the head and strip them out when you finally do need to remove & replace them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a 2012 Ridgeline with 14,000 miles ..
Wow, cool. Our 2006 is 15 years old and we just turned 100,000 miles. When we took it in for routine service a couple months ago the Honda dealer service writer asked if we also wanted the 105K service at that time (maybe 98K miles) and we said "no we'll wait" to which they replied "we understand" since the 105K service was going to add another grand to what was already a $1,200 job.

At 15 years, most of which were in very hot South Central Texas, I feel our Ridgeline is living on borrowed time, now that I've been educated just these last several weeks to the joy of Timing Belt Replacement. I have wanted to wait until the MM indication but don't know if my nerves can hold-out for this given especially it may take another six or eight months to get there. I can't begin to tell you how bad the Texas heat was for us and our possessions. Stuff in our garage got moldy, and in the case of rubber things they disintegrated badly. Shocking to see.

I like the other idea here, to give your TB 10 years anyway.

When our TB is finally replaced I am going to ask to have the old one back for sure.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you take the advice of the other poster to sell your 2012 and rent occasionally, let me know and I’ll buy it to replace my 2008. By the way, Honda did my belt/pump/tensioner last year, so 11 years and 140,000 miles. The old one looks pretty good and not much to go wrong with the water pump.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for posting that S35. What part of the country do you reside (climate)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
1750 miles per year? I think you should sell the truck and rent one when you need it.

My wife has a 2012 Pilot and it now has 130K miles. I did her timing belt, tensioner, water pump, serpentine belt and coolant at 7 years and 105K miles. Everything looked brand new. Even spark plugs.

That said it's an interference engine. There is no second chance. You will not hear the belt break or slip a tooth. There is no warning. One minute everything is fine. Next the engine is a boat anchor.

I've had two non-interference engines break their timing belts. You just coast to the side of the road and call a cab. Line everything up, pop on a new belt and you're golden.

I had one interference engine that I sloppily installed a new timing belt. The engine was toast before the starter stopped spinning. Had to pull the head. All new valves and guides. Never ran right again.

Your choice.
I'm thinking of doing my Ridgeline as I don't know the service history of the vehicle.
How big of a job is it...how long does it take?
Is it easy or not?

Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm thinking of doing my Ridgeline as I don't know the service history of the vehicle.
How big of a job is it...how long does it take?
Is it easy or not?

Thanks
Take a look and decide for yourself:

·
Registered
857 Posts
I did my Ridge’s timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and accessory drive belt in the garage recently. I spread it over 2 days because I had other things to do during that time. I could have done it in one day. You’ll need a floor jack and a piece of wood to hold the right end of the engine-transmission assembly up (you must remove that motor mount).

A second, reasonably strong person was REQUIRED for mine, but not for the timing belt. The new accessory drive belt absolutely would NOT go on unless one of us pushed on the tensioner (with a bar) to fully collapse it while the other worked the belt onto the last pulley.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts