Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 RTL and while I only have 68,500 on it it is going on 8 years.... as far as taking to local dealer where I have had routine maintenance done up to know they are way over priced fore doing it. I have a local repair shop that has been around for a long time with an excellent service history. They quoted me a price of around $750 to do it and I would trust them. They told me that they use Gates timing kits..... any thoughts or has anyone used these.....I can buy this kit for around $170.00, their labor would be $475.00 but they will not guarantee the parts.....

I have just replaced spark plugs and to me they looked a little burnt, RL seems to be starting a little quicker and response is a little better....
Thanks

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Check to be sure the dealer price includes tensioner, pulleys, and the water pump. Also you might be able to find the Gates kit a bit cheaper. I like original Honda parts better than aftermarket.

I suspect we use the exact same dealer, and I avoid them for everything except this particular service. They also often offer a 10% discount coupon on this service. Be sure to ask for it.

If you are confident in the independent shop, I'd go the $750 route if the dealer cant come closer to that. Being summer, the dealer shop may be kinda slow and looking for business.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ccc, I really haven't gotten a quote from G Honda and I probably should but I know they will be in excess of $1000.00 and yes I receive their offers once a month with the coupons but even using those it would not be a substantial savings.... I'm really not in a hurry as yet but I know it will be on my mind until I have it done....
I changed the plugs after reading all about the failures here with cylinder #4/5 and being loose.... decided to change instead of just checking for proper torque and none of my plugs were loose and no signs of oil etc... I have had mine serviced here since day one at this dealer for only oil changes and some fluid changes, gotten to know some service/sale's folks so it's not like I don't like them. In fact one sales person has been after me to sell him my S2000, that won't happen any time soon :).....

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Thanks ccc, I really haven't gotten a quote from G Honda and I probably should but I know they will be in excess of $1000.00 and yes I receive their offers once a month with the coupons but even using those it would not be a substantial savings.... I'm really not in a hurry as yet but I know it will be on my mind until I have it done....
I changed the plugs after reading all about the failures here with cylinder #4/5 and being loose.... decided to change instead of just checking for proper torque and none of my plugs were loose and no signs of oil etc... I have had mine serviced here since day one at this dealer for only oil changes and some fluid changes, gotten to know some service/sale's folks so it's not like I don't like them. In fact one sales person has been after me to sell him my S2000, that won't happen any time soon :).....
They will give you the info over the phone. A call is worth it to have the dealer info for comparison. They do this service on a routine basis as all the V6 motors pretty much require it. See what they say.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts