Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 RTL-T. Bought it new in April of 2018. It has 96500 miles. Runs great and I do my own oil changes, tranny drain and fills, ect. I know this topic has been covered a lot, but it's my turn to bring up the timing belt service. To do or not, to do now or not, ect.. I live in upstate NY. I tow a small fishing boat, maybe 15 or so times a year and within a half hour roughly. Most of these miles are from commuting for work. I have a much less commute now.

Anyway, I called 2 Honda dealerships and got quoted 2500 and 2600 respectively. No free oil change, foot massage, ect.. am I out of touch by thinking this is astronomical?? I'm tempted to shop around with private shops but I've read way more issues have happened after the original belt was replaced. So.. if I get it done at all soon, it will be at a Honda dealer- not that I am 100% confident with that either. Issues in workmanship can happen anywhere.

Any thoughts, advice, experience would be appreciated. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but absolutely would not attempt this service myself. Thanks!

· Administrator
24,364 Posts
Honda stopped advertising a normal replacement interval for the timing belt over 15 years when they started using the Maintenance Minder. Before then, the normal scheduled replacement interval for the timing belt was 105K miles which may still be about when the MM will prompt for it.

There is, however, a distance-based interval specified in the manual for certain conditions.

"If you drive regularly in very high temperatures (over 110°F, 43°C), in very low temperatures (under -20°F, -29°C), or towing a trailer, replace every 60,000 miles (U.S.) / 100,000 km (Canada)."

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,487 Posts
In our FWIW dept, I had mine done a couple years ago at an indie shop I use a lot. They use O'Reilly parts. I wanted OEM/Aisin, but he convinced me they've had no issues using O'Reilly parts (and it came with a warranty. I've had no issues.

I do mine at 120k miles and the old belt looked like new. Hard to tell the old from the new. 🤷‍♂️ My Ridgeline is garaged and sees normal service with a rare tow from time to time (car dolly or 8x12 trailer to move people).

YMMV and all that. But I agree. That is a very steep price for a TB job. I hope it includes spark plugs, cam seals, water pump, new coolant, accessory drive belt and tensioner, and a valve adjustment. And I'd still say it's high, but not as much.

· Super Moderator
24,487 Posts
Honda stopped advertising a normal replacement interval for the timing belt over 15 years when they started using the Maintenance Minder. Before then, the normal scheduled replacement interval for the timing belt was 105K miles which may still be about when the MM will prompt for it.

There is, however, a distance-based interval specified in the manual for certain conditions.

"If you drive regularly in very high temperatures (over 110°F, 43°C), in very low temperatures (under -20°F, -29°C), or towing a trailer, replace every 60,000 miles (U.S.) / 100,000 km (Canada)."
The old maintenance schedules included a time in service component too. It was 7 years for the TB which is what many owners still have in their minds.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't imagine either, except 2 Honda dealers said roughly the same thing- although one said they have never seen a water pump failure and just inspect. I believe the other said they replace the water pump, along with TB, tensioner, coolant, plugs, and valve adjustment.

I called a reputable shop around me and they quoted just the TB and tensioner (I think) for 1600. They said the other stuff as part of the full service Honda does is extra. Seemed like to the tune of over 2200, without oem parts.

Incidentally, I do not drive regularly in extreme conditions and the boat I tow is maybe 1500 pounds max, when I go fishing. I don't take it up in the mountains or drive this vehicle hard at all. I know nobody can say what to do, but I think I'm going to wait and see if I can get a better price on this service.

· Registered
2022 RTL-E Modern Steel with Gray interior
256 Posts
I have a 2019 RTL-T. Bought it new in April of 2018. It has 96500 miles. Runs great and I do my own oil changes, tranny drain and fills, ect. I know this topic has been covered a lot, but it's my turn to bring up the timing belt service. To do or not, to do now or not, ect.. I live in upstate NY. I tow a small fishing boat, maybe 15 or so times a year and within a half hour roughly. Most of these miles are from commuting for work. I have a much less commute now.

Anyway, I called 2 Honda dealerships and got quoted 2500 and 2600 respectively. No free oil change, foot massage, ect.. am I out of touch by thinking this is astronomical?? I'm tempted to shop around with private shops but I've read way more issues have happened after the original belt was replaced. So.. if I get it done at all soon, it will be at a Honda dealer- not that I am 100% confident with that either. Issues in workmanship can happen anywhere.

Any thoughts, advice, experience would be appreciated. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but absolutely would not attempt this service myself. Thanks!
Just had my Acura RDX down (all Acura and Honda's are close in what needs to be done) - total charge was $1200 (includes everything AKSHARK mentioned, water pump isn't required but labor is the same to change it out so might as well do it while they changing the belt. I believe there is a Idler Arm involved to but it should be all included). Anyway I know NY can be more expensive but $2500-2600 is highway robbery.

· Registered
2022 RTL-E Modern Steel with Gray interior
256 Posts
Oh, should have added RDX has the same engine and meant done not down:). I also had this done on a MDX, again same engine, and price was comparable ($1000 but 8 years ago).

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,743 Posts
Wait for the MM and start shopping around. Save your pennies, and by the time the MM tells you to change it, the economy may have crashed and the dealer might do it for $1200.
:oops:

I had an indie shop change the belt on my 4-cyl Accord for just under $400, probably back in 2010. Did the wife's V6 Accord at the dealer, probably around 2018... don't remember the cost but think it was around $850 with water pump, etc.

Costs have gone up sifnificantly almost everywhere in the last few months. A notable exception is ATP of some new vehicles, perhaps a bellwether of impending economic conditions.

· Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
546 Posts

First, if you're not a gambler you will want to get that done ASAP. The 3.5 is an "interference" engine (Google that) and if something in that area snaps or breaks = your engine is bricked.

Second, I would avoid indy shops for this very critical work. While those costs seem high (it's the labor rate) you are smart for having Honda do it. The TB work is covered by a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty (double check that) and no indy shop will give you that peace of mind.

Third make all associated parts in that teardown are replaced, esp the water pump. Also have them check your front crank and oil pump seals as well.

Lastly, about 4 years ago I had the TB work done on my Acura TL, and it was just a little over $1100 plus tax (including a 15% veteran discount). Good luck!

· Super Moderator
24,487 Posts
You need to find out exactly what's included for that price. Sounds like there's more included than simply the TB and WP.

· Super Moderator
24,487 Posts
First, if you're not a gambler you will want to get that done ASAP. The 3.5 is an "interference" engine (Google that) and if something in that area snaps or breaks = your engine is bricked.

Second, I would avoid indy shops for this very critical work. While those costs seem high (it's the labor rate) you are smart for having Honda do it. The TB work is covered by a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty (double check that) and no indy shop will give you that peace of mind.

Third make all associated parts in that teardown are replaced, esp the water pump. Also have them check your front crank and oil pump seals as well.

Lastly, about 4 years ago I had the TB work done on my Acura TL, and it was just a little over $1100 plus tax (including a 15% veteran discount). Good luck!
Are you sure about that 3/36 warranty on Honda OEM replacement work done by the dealer? My tranny was replaced under warranty and iirc, came with a 12/12 warranty from the factory... all work done under warranty by the dealer too.

· Registered
374 Posts
Today I was quoted $1550. minus a $250. coupon for PERFORM TIMING BELT SERVICE, REPLACE TIMING BELT, WATER PUMP, DRIVE BELTS, TENSIONER, OIL SEALS, COOLANT SERVICE. 2012 Ridgeline at Napleton Honda Illinois

Reactions: Stringfellowhawke

· Administrator
24,364 Posts
I'll probably never face a timing belt change because I've only put over 100K miles on one vehicle in over 30 years of driving and by the time I stop trading vehicles before that distance, most new vehicles won't have timing belts...or engines. :)

To save money and ensure the job was done properly and to my satisfaction, I'd consider doing it myself....or use a reputable shop at minimum - I've read more stories over the years about engine failures shortly after timing belt replacement than engine failures due to neglected timing belt replacement on this forum.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As I scour the internet for information, I'm seeing the same trend. Spending a lot of money only for an increased risk of failure (according to sheer numbers of issues reported after a TB replacement) would suck in a big way. I have zero faith in the idea that prices are going to come down someday. I've been hearing that for well over a year, with most stuff hit by inflation. Aside maybe from gas, I will believe that when I see it.

I dont like tempting fate and definitely do not want an indy shop to do the job if they use aftermarket parts or haven't done a lot of Ridgelines. Either way, I'm going to wait to hit 105k. I don't put as many miles on it as I did. Will probably give me another year.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts