Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently hit 106,000 miles. Since my truck was already in the shop to repair hail damage, I had a mechanic which was located 2 doors down from the body shop do the timing belt, alternator belt, coolant and water pump. Their price was substantially lower than the dealership, about $1800 cheaper. I will post pictures of the old parts so you all can judge for yourself how long you want to chance it by trying to go for a little more miles before replacing. I also wanted to have the spark plugs done since they probably last about the same. I had to nix that idea. The local mechanic checked around and found the cheapest Honda spark plugs were $55/piece !!!! I was like, you know what, just leave the old ones in since I wasn't have any spark plug related problems. I called the local Honda part department to inquire on the price of plugs. $69 a piece !!!! What the hell is up with these spark plugs ? Does anyone know if run of the mill compatible plugs will work without causing problems ?

·
Registered
44 Posts

Honda parts now has oem ones listed for 38 dollars a plug. I'm not saying get these, just showing you can get oem stuff cheaper than msrp. :)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Honda parts now has oem ones listed for 38 dollars a plug. I'm not saying get these, just showing you can get oem stuff cheaper than msrp. :)

Thanks for that tip. $38 is definitely cheaper, but WOW that is still pricey for spark plugs. That must be made of platinum, LOL

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for that tip. $38 is definitely cheaper, but WOW that is still pricey for spark plugs. That must be made of platinum, LOL
Oh yeah. They're still crazy expensive. But, some people still prefer oem over oe. So just wanted to throw it out there for yah.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
has the truck been reliable for 106k ?? thanks.................and yeh, wtf is with the plug pricing.
It's been extremely reliable. I'm looking forward to the next 100K miles. The only issues I had were self induced, a cheap 12V USB charger that caused a short and a deep splash of raining during a heavy downpour that killed a transmission pressure switch. Other than that, it's been flawless. I do all the regular maintenance, fluids, etc at the recommended intervals.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
The owner's manual lists the spark plug as NGK DILZKR7B11G.

A Google search suggests that DILZKR7B11G and 95350 are the same thing, but I'm unable to verify that on NGK's actual website.

Unless I could prove to myself they were the same plug, I'd buy the genuine OE plugs from an online Honda dealer.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
These timing belts are becoming a deterrent to long term ownership if that $2500 is the going rate. WTF, my dealer a few years ago was $775 with a coupon. Didn't include spark plugs and tensioner though. And what's up withe the spark plugs. At dealer prices you could easily pass 4k to cover 120k miles on a 9 speed equipped Ridgeline. This would be for the timing belt service, front and rear pads and rotors and 2x transmission fluid changes at 60 and 120.. At what point does a gas guzzler vehicle with a timing chain become cheaper or just simply lease for a little more but have a brand new vehicle every 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here is an update. I just got my truck along with the old parts. The belts were in really good condition, no cracks or obvious signs of wear. I think I could have easily got another 25K to 35K miles. I'm not saying for anyone to go over the recommended 105K miles, but you could do it without worries. The only part that showed a potential problem was the hydraulic belt actuator. The bearing on it started to show signs of rust.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much was the bill for the timing belt
It was $942. They did the timing belt, alternator belt, tensioner, idler pulley and hydraulic belt actuator. Pretty good deal if you ask me. The shop is in Mansfield, Texas.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It was $942. They did the timing belt, alternator belt, tensioner, idler pulley and hydraulic belt actuator. Pretty good deal if you ask me. The shop is in Mansfield, Texas.
Would you know brand timing belt kit they used for the replacement? I'm glad to hear that you did not have a fuel injector issue.

·
Registered
111 Posts
$2500? I had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and serpentine belt done on my MDX at the acura dealer for $950 last fall. Same J-series, pre direct injection.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts