Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
$2500? I had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and serpentine belt done on my MDX at the acura dealer for $950 last fall. Same J-series, pre direct injection.
I wonder if the service advisor was misinformed. I'm going to check with someone else to see if that quote was accurate.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the informative post!! Wonder how hard it would be to do yourself... I have about 18 months at my current rate of driving to decide. LOL.
Glad it was helpful, but like I mentioned, I could have easily went another 35K miles based on the good condition of the belts. You could do it yourself, but you'd have to be very good mechanically. I would not consider this to be a YouTube DIY video kind of thing.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I wonder if the service advisor was misinformed. I'm going to check with someone else to see if that quote was accurate.
Would not be surprised if different dealers give you different prices, all likely being higher than independent shops. I had the timing belt and associated work done on my previous car at an independent shop for a bit under~2k... dealer in the area basically gave me a no bid price of 7.5k!!!

Glad it was helpful, but like I mentioned, I could have easily went another 35K miles based on the good condition of the belts. You could do it yourself, but you'd have to be very good mechanically. I would not consider this to be a YouTube DIY video kind of thing.
I could probably stretch it past the advised time as well, largely due to how good your pictures show your belt being and how I am also racking up the miles, albet not as fast as you! I'm only creeping up to 64k on my 17. We did the timing belt service on our 97 CRV so as long as this engine isn't too much harder.... might be worth doing ourselves. Labor rates tend to be rather high in this area.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Yes, $2500 for the Honda J series timing belt service is absolutely ridiculous and I would argue is a disservice to Honda themselves. Even if it included spark plugs and a valve adjustment it would be nuts.

Anderson Honda is once again offering a good deal on timing belt service. Add about $150 (for the tensioner and bits) to the advertised $590 and worse case you would have $740. They have been offering a timing belt special for years and a number of GenI owners have used them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I did 2 timing belts on my Acura TL and one on my wife's Pilot over the last 20 years. Each and every belt, tensioner and water pump I took off looked brand new. They do build them well.
I also did a timing belt on a PT Cruiser. That was a character builder.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes, $2500 for the Honda J series timing belt service is absolutely ridiculous and I would argue is a disservice to Honda themselves. Even if it included spark plugs and a valve adjustment it would be nuts.

Anderson Honda is once again offering a good deal on timing belt service. Add about $150 (for the tensioner and bits) to the advertised $590 and worse case you would have $740. They have been offering a timing belt special for years and a number of GenI owners have used them.
Too bad you're not in the Dallas area.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I did 2 timing belts on my Acura TL and one on my wife's Pilot over the last 20 years. Each and every belt, tensioner and water pump I took off looked brand new. They do build them well.
I also did a timing belt on a PT Cruiser. That was a character builder.
Character build, LOL. I could only imagine the gratuitous use of 4 letter words, NUTS, BOLT, HOSE, BELT 😂

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
@silkiechicken, it's got to be easier than spreading mulch.:) There are plenty of videos out there. The most difficult part seems to be getting the crankshaft bolt off and lining up the marks. Most seem to mark the original belt before removing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@silkiechicken, it's got to be easier than spreading mulch.:) There are plenty of videos out there. The most difficult part seems to be getting the crankshaft bolt off and lining up the marks. Most seem to mark the original belt before removing.
True, even the old belt had 3 yellow marks, alignment marks I assume.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't know, mulch moving is brainless work, timing belt sounds like more thinking involved. If the hardest part is getting the crankshaft bolt off and lining up the marks.... how bad can it be?? hahaha. Famous last words right? I recall the last timing belt jobs involving some Allen keys to keep things in place. lol.

@brentjs121, yes, fuel injectors are a known issue for some... so far knock on wood

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm confused... This new website doesn't show what we own... You joined in 2007, and the title of this talks about your "2017"... 106,000 miles, if you drive a lot, isn't too much for a 2017, but my 2006, is just over 110,000...
You say you've had no problems, that doesn't sound like a second generation...
Reading that "No Problems" reply, excited me, until I started thinking... Now I'm confused...
Please let me know, 1st gen or 2nd gen?
Thank you...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm confused... This new website doesn't show what we own... You joined in 2007, and the title of this talks about your "2017"... 106,000 miles, if you drive a lot, isn't too much for a 2017, but my 2006, is just over 110,000...
You say you've had no problems, that doesn't sound like a second generation...
Reading that "No Problems" reply, excited me, until I started thinking... Now I'm confused...
Please let me know, 1st gen or 2nd gen?
Thank you...
Well he also says black edition. Which only comes on the Gen 2. So I'd say it's a 2017. :)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
It was $942. They did the timing belt, alternator belt, tensioner, idler pulley and hydraulic belt actuator. Pretty good deal if you ask me. The shop is in Mansfield, Texas.
Next Tue in Sactown CA I'm paying $825 for the full timing belt kit, no serpentine belt or plugs, just timing belt, pulleys/tensioner , water pump. Indi shop with aftermarket parts. This two man shop is very popular with a following from all over the SF bay area. Can't imaging people driving 50+ miles to have their car worked on but people really trust this guy. There have to be at least 1,000 auto repair shops the Sacramento CA area, and easily 20 within a 5 min drive of this place.

One other cool thing about this shop, it's a 10 min walk from my house, so forces me to get some exercise.

The higher rates some are seeing must include OE Honda parts. This is on a 2007 with only 93K mi. Zero problems with this truck and it works hard on mountain back rods during fishing season. I am a fanatic on fluid changes though. Oh, I did replace the lower front control arms in an attempt to quiet a clunk-clunk over bad roads. He said the bushings, while not gone, were on the way. It did not fix the clunk-clunk, but at least I have new ball joints and bushings.

What did fix it? thanks to a tip somewhere on this board a 2in strip of sticky back foam tape to secure the windshield washer reservoir to the inside fender well. Why tape? somehow the holes are not aligned for a proper fastener. Figured the tape would be a "proof of concept" and I can always redrill the hole later when the tape rots out. Did I do my little happy dance after that proved to fix the clunk-clunk that's been bugging me for years? You bet I did!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a private shop do my timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, spark plugs and valve adjustment, for, wait...., $2800. Most incompetent idiots. They damaged the cam shaft sensor. Local Honda dealer in central IL, would have done the job for $1500 plus tax. They just take forever to return calls. All calls to this Honda dealer go to voicemail. I should have waited, since the private shop really screwed up my vehicle. Took over 3 weeks to get the vehicle running properly. They supposedly specialize in foreign cars.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is an update. I just got my truck along with the old parts. The belts were in really good condition, no cracks or obvious signs of wear. I think I could have easily got another 25K to 35K miles. I'm not saying for anyone to go over the recommended 105K miles, but you could do it without worries. The only part that showed a potential problem was the hydraulic belt actuator. The bearing on it started to show signs of rust.
In my limited experience on a Toyota, timing belt failure occurs when the teeth separate from the belt and fall into the timing cover. This occurs over time, as evidenced by dust covering some of the teeth found. When enough teeth are missing, the belt fails suddenly when a whole line of teeth go and the camshaft ceases to turn. I was lucky that this older Toyota was a free clearance engine and had no head damage. I believe the 3.5L Honda is an interference engine so would be very bad. My Ridge is a 2012 Gen 1, 77,000 trouble free miles so far.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
A 2012 with 77k that is good. I will say this though, a 9 year old belt with 77K is probably more worn than 2.5 year old belt with 106K miles. When you do get around to the 105K mark, you should probably consider the replacement.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Was your timing belt one of the problem versions that exist on earlier Ridgelines or was it just time to replace it?
The old belt was in very good condition, no problems at all. If I had none it would be that good, I would have left it in for another 40K miles.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts