Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E PACIFIC PEWTER
31 Posts
I am with you on interference engines .I am consider “weekend mechanic “ I did replaced the timing belt on my Mazda MPV once ,fortunately it was a rear wheel drive so it much easier still takes some elbow greases that said I would not attempt with the transversed mount engine like the RL ,anyhew wayyyyyy down the road....

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,027 Posts
I agree, it should be timing chain instead of a belt.
Not necessarily. There are pros and cons to each method of turning the camshaft. Timing chains don't last forever either... especially the guide rollers.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Not necessarily. There are pros and cons to each method of turning the camshaft. Timing chains don't last forever either... especially the guide rollers.
Agreed. There are pros and cons to each method. Many people see the relatively short belt change interval and associated cost, and their thoughts go no further.

I think i read somewhere that Honda's VTEC is better served by belt rather than chain... much more accurate timing at higher rpms vs chain, especially after you get some miles on the engine.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,027 Posts
I suspect the belt has less friction too. It's probably very much a pay me now or pay me later issue.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts