Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 RTL (no nav), original owner. 59k miles. (Not the only car, but at this point it is my daily driver). Was getting the oil changed today at the dealership and I asked if there was anything I was due for based on time instead of miles. They claimed it was time to replace the timing belt/water pump/etc. Now certainly not on miles - I've never towed a thing - but based on time? Is that logical? Or are they pulling my chain, so to speak?

·
Registered
233 Posts
They are not pulling your chain, they are pulling your belt.

From the internet: "The best way is to read the owners manual, but if you don't have that Hondarecommends timing belt and water pump be replaced at 105,000 miles or 7 years.
Sep 17, 2018"

Looks like you are at that 7 year point.

Since the water pump has to come off to replace the belt, its a good time to replace it. Honda does NOT have to do it for you, check internet for parts pricing, and labor rates in your area.

·
Registered
218 Posts
2012 RTL (no nav), original owner. 59k miles. (Not the only car, but at this point it is my daily driver). Was getting the oil changed today at the dealership and I asked if there was anything I was due for based on time instead of miles. They claimed it was time to replace the timing belt/water pump/etc. Now certainly not on miles - I've never towed a thing - but based on time? Is that logical? Or are they pulling my chain, so to speak?

Don’t waste your money. I did our 2010 at 125k and our 2011 at 123K. Both still looked great.

·
Registered
277 Posts
None of us can guarantee how long it'll last on your truck, but I've changed my 2009's belt and water pump, and also the same on our 2005 MDX, at around the 100k mark on both, and the parts coming off looked new. I'm sure some fatigue can't be inspected visually, but these parts appear to be very robust.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Water pump has to come off to replace the timing belt?

Anyway, I have 195k on my original belt, water pump, tension pully, all original. I plan on replacing all next month, but inspection of the timing belt every 5k has shown it's still in good shape. No cracks, missing teeth, etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Water pump has to come off to replace the timing belt?

Anyway, I have 195k on my original belt, water pump, tension pully, all original. I plan on replacing all next month, but inspection of the timing belt every 5k has shown it's still in good shape. No cracks, missing teeth, etc.
My recent 01 Nissan Frontier had 285,000 miles on the same timing belt. I had replaced the original at 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I went 10-years on my 2007 RL then changed the TB, waterpump, plugs, adjusted valves at abou 103k. IMHO
I'd go by miles, but inspect for rot or wear.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My 2006 Lexus had 50k miles this year so I changed the belt and pump. Both were in excellent shape. Dealer suggested 10 year replacement... Everyone I have talked to seems to have similar experiences - the belts today are robust.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have read on here various times (probably all from the same original post, though?) that there indeed is a time-based criterion for timing belt change. I do not dispute that claim, but I note that I cannot find anything in my 2013’s Owner’s Manual which says anything other than miles or simply ‘whenever the Maintenance Minder shows code 4.’

My owner’s manual does say that 60,000 miles (100,000 kilometers) is when it is to be changed if one regularly:
Drives in very high temps (>110F),
Drives in very low temps (<-20F), or
Tows a Trailer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had mine changed out today for the first time on my 2006 RTL with 155k miles. The tensioner had started to squeal pretty much every morning and it was losing some fluid. Now to deal with the power door locks with minds of their own and the pop rocks in the dash (air mix thingie). Still love my truck! Oh, and to the person looking for ways to fix the support bars on the rear seats when they are up....bungy cords. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've had mine for 12 years and am just over 100,000 now, so I'm looking at getting that work done... NOT that I feel I have to, but simply because everyone throughout this site has proven that if you don't get it done around 100,000 miles then you WILL have big problems, which I don't want to have...
God blessed us with this website, and the way users use it...
The TranyRadiator Strawberry Shake thing also concerns me...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've had mine for 12 years and am just over 100,000 now, so I'm looking at getting that work done... NOT that I feel I have to, but simply because everyone throughout this site has proven that if you don't get it done around 100,000 miles then you WILL have big problems, which I don't want to have...
God blessed us with this website, and the way users use it...
The TranyRadiator Strawberry Shake thing also concerns me...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I changed mine after 10 years but only had 75,000 miles and also replaced radiator all for peace of mind since I'm planning on keeping it for awhile longer..... no reason to get rid of it yet!! After reading some above post I don't see how you would go to the trouble of checking your belt but not replacing ??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts