Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Honda Ridgeline (timing belt)

My son and his friends took the timing belt off his 2008 ridgeline with out marking the belt or the pullies. How can I make sure that I get the belt back on correctly now? I have searched thru the Internet and have found nothing about putting it back k on. Thanks for any help. I am desperate.

· Premium Member
372 Posts
Re: 2008 Honda Ridgeline (timing belt)

My son and his friends took the timing belt off his 2008 ridgeline with out marking the belt or the pullies. How can I make sure that I get the belt back on correctly now? I have searched thru the Internet and have found nothing about putting it back k on. Thanks for any help. I am desperate.
This Video shows how to do it if you didn't mark the belt. However, doing it while the engine is in the truck will be fun. I'd suggest taking the plugs out as he mentions to do the turn test at the end. I've wondered about this myself as I'm considering replacing the belt on mine and wanted a fall back if the marks were screwed up.

· Premium Member
372 Posts

Top dead center is the only position in your case where you know the timing is right. No otherr way I know of for you to get running again.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts

Kudos to the boys for having the cajones to take on this task. Sounds like a great learning experience... as long as you have time to recover from first timer mistakes. ;)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand that. But if each of the gears are off let's say the one at the rear is at 4 o'clock and the front one is at 6 o'clock and the crank is at 11 o'clock can i move each one separately to get to TDC?

· Premium Member
372 Posts

I understand that. But if each of the gears are off let's say the one at the rear is at 4 o'clock and the front one is at 6 o'clock and the crank is at 11 o'clock can i move each one separately to get to TDC?
In the video the presenter seems to have done just that.

I would say yes, but I only have experience doing it with non interference engines and don't see how it could be fixed without doing so. I understand your concern.

If any one has any better information or reasons it shouldn't be done, or the proper procedure please chime in.

· Premium Member
372 Posts

Caution is good. I found a thread that says you now have to pull the heads to avoid damaging the valves if you have to turn the cam shafts.

Thread

· Registered
124 Posts

I'm no expert by any means but have built several engines and done several timing belts, none on my Ridgeline yet. Keep in mind you can not rotate the cams independently of the crankshaft more than maybe a tooth, the valves will touch the pistons and in some situations it can slightly bend the valves. The last engine I built was a V6 Alfa Romeo, I would have removed the cams instead of the entire head, but I dont think thats an easy option on the Honda is it?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice but I'm still not sure can i rotate the cams independently of each other to get the marks back up to top dead center or do I have to pull the heads. If that's the case then I might have to have it towed to the dealer. I don't want to damage the engine.

· Premium Member
372 Posts

I've been reading a lot on this because I'm due for a timing belt myself and anted to make sure I had all the bases covered. this is the type of thing that would happen to me if I was doing it myself.
I have read posts where people in the same situation you are:

Removed the heads to fix it.
or
took out the plugs and turned the crank until none of the pistons were near the top, then rotated the cams until TDC. (not sure how safe that is)

A visit to the dealer might be in order. I'd call and et a quote first though from several places if you have the option.

Also, and i hadn't read or seen this in a video but it explains why the guy in the original video had the engine at TDC. Several mechanics recommended turning the engine until set at TDC prior to taking the belt off. It would be hard to see in the Ridge I think, and marking works as well, just hadn't seen it on any instructions until now.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
Don't know if you've acted on this yet..... but best advice is to let a pro deal with this at this point.

Having said that, if it were me - this is what I'd do:

Presuming that "the boys" took off the timing belt, but did NOT do anything else with the engine (DID NOT rotate the crank or either cam shafts)........ I would put the old belt back on as closely as possible to the existing position.... including the tensioner.....

And with the plugs removed, manually rotate the engine with a wrench on the crankshaft bolt...... all the while making sure you don't feel contact of valves with pistons. You will likely be able to do this without interference, even if the belt might be of by a tooth or so. Care is advised in this process.

Using this method, get the crank at TDC with the cams in the correct (or approximately correct) position; understanding that the crank goes around twice before each "proper" positioning of the cams. Follow the marks prescribed in manual or video instructions to get this right.

Once you have the "correct" TDC position with the crank, the cams will be very near correct position. Take off the TB, and then 'nudge' the cams to the correct position (if they are not already there). Do NOT rotate cam shafts significantly.... just slight "adjusting" nudge (if required) to get the marks on target.

THIS is your starting point. Now you can proceed with proper installation, being sure to check all marks (crank & both cams) after you've finished the TB & tensioner install. You should be able to find ample instruction on this. Have your plugs out during this entire process to reduce compression resistance & give you a better feel for what's going on, and to better allow precise positioning of cam shafts.

I'm fairly sure your main query is whether it's safe to rotate shafts seperate from one another; and the answer is definitely NO! But if they haven't already been rotated separately, you should be able to put the belt back on & move them in sync, if care is taken with this process. This is one heck of a lot easier than removing the heads! But if someone already rotated these shafts independently to any significant degree.... all bets are off for an easy realignment.

Good Luck! I'm thinking you'll be fine if you just remain cautious. If you don't understand the 2x crank turns for each 1x cam turn... you might not want to attempt this.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,891 Posts

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.