Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2019 RTL-E. The honda sticker shows "deep tinted glass" . The dealer charged me $299 for tinted windows. Seem like these are one in the same. Did the dealer rip me off?

·
Registered
110 Posts
The RL comes with rear 'tinted' windows which is more of a dye than a tint as it doesnt cut down on heat or UV. You can check if the dealer went and put film over all the windows by rolling the window down and looking for an edge to the tint at the top of the window. If you dont have this on all 4 windows (you wont be able to find a lip easily on the back glass), then yeah, they ripped you off.

Hell, even if you see tint, a dealer probably paid about $120 at a local tint shop to have this done and likely asked for the cheapest product available. Paying a dealership to tint your vehicle will never get you the best results for the best price.

·
Administrator
13,749 Posts
Based on @mbertolero's test of his Ridgeline, the front windows block >90% of UV while the factory-tinted rears block over 99% of UV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The RL comes with rear 'tinted' windows which is more of a dye than a tint as it doesnt cut down on heat or UV. You can check if the dealer went and put film over all the windows by rolling the window down and looking for an edge to the tint at the top of the window. If you dont have this on all 4 windows (you wont be able to find a lip easily on the back glass), then yeah, they ripped you off.

Hell, even if you see tint, a dealer probably paid about $120 at a local tint shop to have this done and likely asked for the cheapest product available. Paying a dealership to tint your vehicle will never get you the best results for the best price.
Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and yes I can see where the tint was applied to the windows. I know they put these items on truck to just make more of a profit.

The biggest joke was a "protection package" for $699. When I asked they said it was a GPS installed on the truck to help locate it when stolen. The web page for the service indicates it is used my the dealer to track cars and control inventory. It really is not designed for the consumer. Honda should put a stop to these under handed practices.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Based on @mbertolero's test of his Ridgeline, the front windows block >90% of UV while the factory-tinted rears block over 99% of UV.

That was educational! Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,749 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and yes I can see where the tint was applied to the windows. I know they put these items on truck to just make more of a profit.

The biggest joke was a "protection package" for $699. When I asked they said it was a GPS installed on the truck to help locate it when stolen. The web page for the service indicates it is used my the dealer to track cars and control inventory. It really is not designed for the consumer. Honda should put a stop to these under handed practices.
Frustratingly, it's an all-too-common practice for dealers to compromise the reliability of the electrical systems on brand new vehicles by installing this high-profit junk.

Unfortunately, Honda can't stop dealers from doing this because the dealers are franchises and the vehicles belong to the dealers. The dealers are free to modify the vehicles in any way they think they can get away with as long as they are willing to absorb the liability risk.

I've gotten to where I won't buy a new vehicle unless I see it roll off the transport truck and get it before they've had a chance to molest it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yea, it's great if you have that opportunity. I was there when our '03 Pilot came off the truck. I did the PDI on it. We still have it, & it's not given use any (major) issues.
Being the only one to work on our Hondas, you might imagine how apprehensive I was about dropping our '19 Sport off for some upgrades yesterday. Roof rack & aftmk. heated seats, for the wife, don't ya know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts