Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my '10 RTL still has the OEM tires which although could get another year of work they're dry rotted to the point IMO they're now dangerous. I'm trying to decide between another set of OEM tires in OEM size or going with the LTX M/S2 in 265/60/18. With the OEM tires my only concern is the dry rotting, I've read on here that owners who had bought a second set also ran into the dry rot issue. With the M/S2 there's the rubbing issue which seems to be remedied by a simple mod to the front flaps. Does anyone know anyone that runs the 265/60/18 and if so are there any pics of what needs to be done to keep them from rubbing?

Also are there any pics of our truck with the 265/60/18 without lift? Would be interested to see how much bigger they look then OEM.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The MS2's are very nice. I've had them on in that size for 40k with no issues. Looks like they'll last another 50k. They only rub a little bit at 3/4 turn with no alteration to anything. I just got used to it and it has since stopped.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The MS2's are very nice. I've had them on in that size for 40k with no issues. Looks like they'll last another 50k. They only rub a little bit at 3/4 turn with no alteration to anything. I just got used to it and it has since stopped.
Do you have pics of your truck with the tire on it? Also any chance you can see or snap a pic of where the tire rubs? Would like to asses if I can fix that before I get the tires if possible.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I can snap pics for you but I have a lift, flares and probably different flaps. They're not a big aggressive tire or anything but they sure ride nice and are quiet.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,502 Posts
Just FYI . . .

My OEM LTXs (17" size on my 06) all had sidewall and tread area cracking within 2 years of use. Replacements did the same. The Michelin Lattitude tours that I installed about 4 years ago, while still having some tread mileage left, were just replaced with about 48k on them because of sidewall and tread area cracking. It definitely seems to be a Michelin thing and while I never actually experienced a failure, it has pretty much soured my taste for Michelins, particularly at their very high price point. The LTX M/S2s definitely have gotten good reviews as far as overall performance. I have just put on a set of Firestone Desination LE2s that also have received excellent reviews (and are available in the stock size for my 06), cost $50 less per tire, and so far are performing wonderfully. I personally wouldn't upsize in a tire, particularly for an expensive Michelin that will likely develop cracking long before its tread has worn out . . .

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Just FYI . . .
And on the flip side, my RL has 152K miles and driving its second set of Michelins (Latitudes).

No dry rot or cracking on either set of tires. When it's time in about 10-15K miles, I'll prob get M/S2.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Except that (at least at this moment) you can't get the M/S2 in the stock 245/65/17 size.
Odd I had replied but it's missing, the only reason I'm looking for an upsize tire is because the LTX M/S2 doesn't come in the factory size yet. I had Michelin Snow and Ice X tires about 8 years ago on my Prelude and after two seasons they had the same issue with cracking. When I gave them to my friend for his car the shop wouldn't re-mount them as they said they were unsafe. I figured it was a fluke until the RL. I discounted a bit even then until I started reading about how many had the issues with the OEM tires and then still with their second and third sets. If it wasnt for the exceptional ratings and reviews of both LTX MS I wouldn't even give them another thought.

My priorities in tire characteristics are:
Quiet/Smooth ride (lots of highway driving and a wife that complains about bumpy rides!)
Wet and snow traction (Safety, I'm not worried about me but in NJ once there's any precipitation everyone drives like an a$$hole)
Dry traction (I feel the RL brakes are a weak link so having tires that have good traction help make up for that a bit)

MPG and longevity are not nearly a concern.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I think it's safe to say the cracking is a past issue in certain areas, I never had a problem and assume Michelin would stand behind anything at this point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it's safe to say the cracking is a past issue in certain areas, I never had a problem and assume Michelin would stand behind anything at this point.
I'd like to think so but I'd rather go with a newer tire as my thinking is with a new model tire the rubber compound could/would be different. I havent found another tire outside the two LTX MS models that get anywhere near as good as reviews. I've done my fair share of mods so I think I'm going to go with the 265/60/18 LTX M/S2's and if I run into rubbing I'll just slice and dice the mudflaps.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I bought mine at NTB and they didn't have the $70 rebate at the time that most online companies had. I called them and told them I use Michelin on all 4 of my cars and didn't think it was fair I had to go to a certain place to get the rebate. She said I agree, fax me a receipt and I'll send you a check. Four days later I had a rebate check.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,502 Posts
I'd like to think so but I'd rather go with a newer tire as my thinking is with a new model tire the rubber compound could/would be different. I havent found another tire outside the two LTX MS models that get anywhere near as good as reviews. I've done my fair share of mods so I think I'm going to go with the 265/60/18 LTX M/S2's and if I run into rubbing I'll just slice and dice the mudflaps.
Tire Rack has a pretty large selection of tires and sell a lot of them. They have rankings for tires based on very large number of customer surveys. Based on these surveys (for whatever value you might place on this type of "review"), for an all season highway tire they rank the LTX M/S2 first and the Firestone Destination LE2 second. I can tell you from first hand experience that the Destinations are extremely quiet, have a very plush ride and have excellent dry and wet traction. No experience with snow yet but they rank very high in this category in the surveys. . .Not sure why you would go with a larger tire to meet your stated goals. A wider tire is not going to help in the snow and can hurt ride and noise levels as well. In general, it's a deviation from the tire size that was engineered for the wheel rim (you would be shoving a 1 inch wider tire on the same width wheel rim) and the vehicle as a whole. Expect (probably small) changes in the vehicles performance, including handling and acceleration, not to mention the accuracy of your ODO / Speedo. . . .and then there is the rubbing!

Stock 245/60/18 specs

Diameter = 29.6"
Width = 9.65"
Wheel = 18"
Sidewall = 5.79"
Circumference = 92.9"
Revs/Mile = 682.3

265/60/18

Diameter = 30.5"
Width = 10.43"
Wheel = 18"
Sidewall = 6.26"
Circumference = 95.8"
Revs/Mile = 661.2

·
Registered
56 Posts
I saw a TV show about old tires a few years ago, definitely something to look for when buying tires.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

Make Sure You're Getting a "Fresh" Tire
Just because a tire is unused doesn't mean it's new. In a number of instances, consumers have purchased "new" tires at retail stores only to find out later that they were manufactured years earlier. In addition to having a shorter life on the road, a tire that's supposedly new but is actually old may be past its warranty period.

If you buy tires and soon after discover that they're actually a few years old, you have the right to request newer ones, Zielinski says. Any reputable store should be willing to make amends. "It is fair for a consumer to expect that 'new' is not several years old," he says.

Tires made after 2000 have a four-digit DOT code. The first two numbers represent the week in which the tire was made. The second two represent the year. A tire with a DOT code of 1109 was made in the 11th week of 2009. Tires with a three-digit code were made prior to 2000 and are trickier to decode. The first two digits still tell you the week, but the third digit tells you the year in the decade that it was created. The hard part is knowing what decade that was. Some tires made in the 1990s (but not all) have a triangle after the DOT code, denoting that decade. But for tires without that, a code of "328" could be from the 32nd week of 1988 — or 1978.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well as I said, I'd prefer the OEM size but they don't make the MS2 in that size. I dont see much snow and I doubt that the little additional width is going to have that much of an impact. I many consider them, never hurts to save a few hundred $$$, apparently theyr'e a solid tire. The one category that's down over the LTX MS is wear however I'm scrapping my current tires early anyway. :shrug:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In general, it's a deviation from the tire size that was engineered for the wheel rim (you would be shoving a 1 inch wider tire on the same width wheel rim) and the vehicle as a whole. Expect (probably small) changes in the vehicles performance, including handling and acceleration, not to mention the accuracy of your ODO / Speedo. . . .and then there is the rubbing!

Stock 245/60/18 specs

Diameter = 29.6"
Width = 9.65"
Wheel = 18"
Sidewall = 5.79"
Circumference = 92.9"
Revs/Mile = 682.3

265/60/18

Diameter = 30.5"
Width = 10.43"
Wheel = 18"
Sidewall = 6.26"
Circumference = 95.8"
Revs/Mile = 661.2
You could have those same differences in the same tire size between manufacture and model tires. And to be honest that extra bulge would help a little more in rubbing my rims.

I'm going to swing by the Firestone dealer tomorrow and look at those Destinations.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,502 Posts
No way you going to have a width that is close to 1 inch wider (10% increase is not "small") and a 3 inch greater circumference with the same SIZE tire and two different manufacturers or models within same manufactures. Differences will be MUCH smaller.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went with the Firestones, read a ton of reviews and they were all very good, even a guy with a Pilot running them for over 50k now in under a year of ownership :eek:. They came out a few hundred cheaper than the LTX M/S2 and the right size so I figured it was worth the risk. They go on the truck Monday, I'll post an update once I get some seat time on them.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,502 Posts
You might want to add your impressions (once you have them) to the Destination LE/2 thread in this (Tire) section of the forum. . .Easier for those searching to find . . .

I am still enjoying the new Destination's on my truck every time I get in it. I think you will be happy with your choice!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a couple hundred miles on the tires and they feel great, of course this is all dry weather typical commuting miles but they are quieter and seem to grip as good or better than the OEM tires. I'll collect some impressions over the next few months and post a review once I have a couple thousand miles and some varied weather on them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts