Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was only 2 pounds low in each tire (cold) so broke out the compressor to top them all off. I went 2 pounds above the door label recommendation but no beeps or lights occurred.
So:
Do you have to follow a specific process other than have the vehicle running?
Do you have to start from a low pressure warning for it to kick in?
Does it not work with such small increments?
Other?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I was only 2 pounds low in each tire (cold) so broke out the compressor to top them all off. I went 2 pounds above the door label recommendation but no beeps or lights occurred.
So:
Do you have to follow a specific process other than have the vehicle running?
Do you have to start from a low pressure warning for it to kick in?
Does it not work with such small increments?
Other?
It only works if you were to fill a large(r) quantity.

so when you add just a little...no...it doesn't flash the lights.

From the manual:
If a change in tire pressure has been significant, the
system beeps and the hazard lights flash continuously
for five seconds when the specified tire pressure is
reached. Stop filling the tire.
and remember...if you were to fill small increments ( no assist )...once it reach ( let's say 35 PSI by looking and stop)...you will end up with "36-37" ...a little delay to fully read true pressure..etc.

Best to use "assist" and start low to activates the assist and stop when lights flashes x 4 tires ... that way you'll end up with 35+ PSI equally on all 4 ;) ( and confirm it with a digital monitor if you could )

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I had my handheld to double check the numbers. I mostly wanted to play with the new toy.... I guess I can let a lot of air out next time first to test it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I wondered what those guys that changes their wheel setup do with this tech ?? as the factory settings are already set at 35 PSI !

I used to cut out a circle black electrically tape to cover the warning light on my other vehicles ( when running different wheels setup ) :grin:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Ha! I'll bet I know how you fixed the noisy transmission, too -- you turned up the radio! >:)
Nope :p that trick was used for aggressive tire tread noises ...:grin:

about the tapes... it happens with other vehicles when I installed second set of tires ( winters ) and no TPM valves ..etc.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Sorry if I missed something, just a Gen 1 RL owner, but just fill your tires to what it says on the door. Ain't rocket science.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Does the truck have to be running when you fill the tires for that to work?
Code:
TPMS with Tire Fill Assist provides visual and audible
assistance during tire pressure adjustment. With the
power mode in ON, while you adjust tire pressure up
or down, the system alerts you as follows:
Below recommended pressure: The beeper
sounds and exterior lights flash once every five
seconds.
At recommended pressure: The beeper sounds
and exterior lights flash rapidly for five seconds.
Above recommended pressure: The beeper
sounds and lights flash twice every three seconds.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wow, now engineers think that manual tire pressure gauges are too complicated. My oh my.
No, not the engineers. The sales people know that many customers think so!

What they really need to invent is a self-cleaning glove box (so I can find my pressure gauge when I need it.)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, now engineers think that manual tire pressure gauges are too complicated. My oh my.

Right? I wish they'd quit building things into cars that used to be separate. I miss the days when someone had to walk in front of my buggy with a lantern but then some jackwad had to put headlights on it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, I just learned something else about my truck I didn't know. I need to spend some time with the manual. I thought I knew the major features but these things are new to me. I guess that 3 minute salesman briefing didn't hit everything.
I'm going to have to read the manual. I ordered the big printed one mentioned in another thread.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tire Filling Notification Thingie Issue

With all 4 tires at the same starting point, filling my rear tires worked as they should and I got the honking and flashing at the proper psi. Filling the front tires did not trigger the alert.
Getting close to a service interval so will ask the dealer whenever I get there but has anyone else had that issue?

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Re: Tire Filling Notification Thingie Issue

Interesting. The alert has never gone off in my truck but according to the owner's manual it triggers when "a change in tire pressure has been significant". Today was quite a bit cooler when I filled the tires & I added ~2 psi to each tire - still no alert. I guess it depends on the software's version of "significant"?

·
Registered
441 Posts

I've had the same experience as the poster, but just assumed it was user error.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

Interesting. The alert has never gAone off in my truck but according to the owner's manual it triggers when "a change in tire pressure has been significant". Today was quite a bit cooler when I filled the tires & I added ~2 psi to each tire - still no alert. I guess it depends on the software's version of "significant"?
Absolutely correct...if I only need a couple of psi...( usually the case )...what I'd do is deflate the tire a little ( about 5 psi..I think that's the "significant" part ).

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/2149737-post2.html

best is (ON mode...deflate tire til vehicle start to beep ( low pressure, usually 33, 32 psi it will start to beep LOW..etc. )

start inflates tire til there is a rapid beeps/flashing lights (5 sec. duration) ...Personally..I find that I would count to 3 AFTER the 5 sec. beeps to ensure I'm on the "full" side.

if balmy weather...I even wait til the 2nd set of 5 sec. beeps...That usually put me at 36-37 psi.

after all that is said...it won't be 10 out of 10 times that it will armed/triggered properly.
On odd occasion...while I was deflating...there were no LOW beep but dash did showed LOW...(beyond 5 psi LOW ).

So, basically....you can look at the deflating process as the "arming/triggering" step...and it works 90% of times ! :wink: :grin: >:)

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...n-2017/142793-tire-fill-assist-questions.html

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great feature when putting air in tires

Found out the other day when i went to put air in my tires...... that i do not need a gage anymore when filling up tires..... i did not know that the truck would beep once when the tires were being filled up....... then 3 beeps when the tires were at 35pds !! The truck was running so i do not know if it beeps when it is turned off! Just thought i would share for people who did not know about that feature.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts