Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone that is knowledgeable about tires tell me if it will be possible to create a bit higher ground clearance ( even the slightest) with a different tire/wheel combo? I love that vehicle but hate the 7.8 ground clearance.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We won't know until someone has one and can measure clearance for both diameter and width...one of those measurements is severely limiting.
So if the most pessimistic scenario is that 7.8' gc is all we get what would be a moderately optimistic scenario as far as possible ground clearance with different tires? Would 8.5 be out of this world?

· Registered
153 Posts
We won't know until someone has one and can measure clearance for both diameter and width...one of those measurements is severely limiting.
So if the most pessimistic scenario is that 7.8' gc is all we get what would be a moderately optimistic scenario as far as possible ground clearance with different tires? Would 8.5 be out of this world?
265/60-18 like on the Auto show trucks should net very close to 8.5" I'll be installing a set right away and will report on fitment.

· Registered
153 Posts
I am by no means a tire expert. The standard tires that come on the 2017 Ridgeline are 245/60R18. In order to increase clearance, I think you'd want to go down in aspect ratio size to something like 245/50R18. I'm not sure that this would be a very big difference, just wildly guessing, it might be an inch. Someone with more knowledge than me will have to comment on that. I recommend sticking with the 245/60R18s. Honda selected that 60 aspect ratio as a nod toward preserving tire clearance. Of course, I don't know jack about offroading. My gut just tells me that making the tires more low-profile makes them harder and perhaps reduces traction on softer paths. I have a set of brand-new 265/60R18 snow tires that I've been wondering about. My understanding is that they may reduce clearance slightly.
You've got it backwards. Google it.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,973 Posts
The 265 tires are ~24mm larger diameter and ~20mm larger width than 245 tires.

The 265 tires appeared to rub, and that was most likely due to width. Narrower tires might give an option for larger diameter (see my earlier post), once we get better measurements, and also have potential to fit in the trunk, sans tray...

Keep in mind you may not be able to use chains with larger diameter tires...

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=245-60r18-265-60r18

· Registered
3,228 Posts
Interpreting Joe's comments on the larger show truck tires (265/60X18), Honda took a scientific guess on how much larger than stock they could go, and they slightly overshot the width clearance. The rubbing may only have occurred at full steering lock, because they obviously were able to maneuver the show trucks without seriously burnishing the inside sidewalls and creating a burnt rubber sensation for the audience! However, Honda's little image-deception ploy made it clear you could never put chains on those 265/60s.

Joe reported that due to allowed tire manufacturer variances, the Honda techs told him that some 265/60 tires won't fit on the truck, presumably because they're slightly wider than the Firestone Destination A/Ts on the show trucks. This leaves us to wonder if a spacer or offset aftermarket wheel might provide a solution for larger tires and/or chains. If not, then experimenting with a larger diameter but narrower tire to boost ground clearance may be the only option. How will that affect routine handling and VSA performance? Looks like a gamble to me...

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Different tires different size you MUST do your home work. They put them WIDER tires on that truck for looks thats my opinion. And it rubbed from the looks and isnt much different than then the old RL VERY limited if one doesnt want to cut and grind. I have the Truxx level lift kit 1.5 rear 2.0 front with 245-70/17 Mich. LTX II. No rub no grind no cut no problem and gained a true 1.5" clearance ( 1" with lift and .5" tire).That Mich. I see it MIGHT work with a RL without a lift. I never had a wider tire but seems they have more rubbing issues then my tires which are the same as stock but 1" taller. You must look at tire specs before a purchase to see in they meet what you want. No one is going to stick their neck out and tell you this or that tire will work so buy it. The old RL tire fitment chart is a start. Id hate to see you make up to a $1000 dollar mistake.

· Registered
2,264 Posts
I like the tread pattern on the tires that were too big and rubbed on the show truck. Any chance they can make that tire in the same size as the stock tires?

· Registered
228 Posts
Same experience as NorthernLights. Went Truxx lift and 245/70-17 Toyo ATII. Apart from cosmetic looks why would you want to go wider than 245? Soft beach sand?

· Registered
3,228 Posts
Now that we have the owners manual, here are some relevant tidbits on the spare and optional tires:

Yep, they tell you not to exceed 50 mph with the temporary spare and have it replaced as soon as possible. There's no mention of how many miles you can drive on it or if it is safe to keep towing with it. It would appear that the TPMS becomes useless because it cannot sense the pressure of the temporary spare and the warning light stays on until you replace the tire. It looks like you can still view the display screen which shows the actual tire pressures in the other three tires, but you may not get an alert if a second tire goes flat while you are using the temporary spare.

Warning about other tire sizes: "Replace your tires with radials of the same size, load range, speed rating, and maximum cold tire pressure rating (as shown on the tire’s sidewall). Using tires of a different size or construction can cause the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®), hill start assist, and the all-wheel drive (AWD) systems as well as ABS to work incorrectly."

"Winter Tires - If driving on snowy or frozen roads, mount all season marked “M+S” tires, snow tires, or tire chains; reduce speed; and maintain sufficient distance between vehicles when driving. Be particularly careful when operating the steering wheel or brakes to prevent skidding. Use tire chains, snow tires, or all season tires when necessary or according to the law. When mounting, refer to the following points.

For winter tires:
•Select the size and load ranges that are the same as the original tires.
•Mount the tires to all four wheels.

For tire chains:
•Install them on the front tires only.
•Because your vehicle has limited tire clearance, we strongly recommend using the chains listed below:
Cable-type: SCC Super Z LT-ZT735
•Follow the chain manufacturer’s instruction when installing. Mount them as tightly as you can.
•Check that the chains do not touch the brake lines or suspension.
•Drive slowly.
"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.