Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always heard that you shouldn't plug steel belted tires because the steel belt would eventually cut through the plug. It sounds like many people here use plugs, and some seem to prefer them to patches. Even the plug kits from Advance/K-Mart/Wal-mart/etc. say for radial tires. Last time I had a Michelin that needed patching, the tire shop said that Michelin won't let them do plugs...must be patched.

Anyway, how do the plugs last in a steel belted tire? Any feedback from anyone as to how long these plugs will last in a steel belted tire?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
swampler said:
I always heard that you shouldn't plug steel belted tires because the steel belt would eventually cut through the plug. It sounds like many people here use plugs, and some seem to prefer them to patches. Even the plug kits from Advance/K-Mart/Wal-mart/etc. say for radial tires. Last time I had a Michelin that needed patching, the tire shop said that Michelin won't let them do plugs...must be patched.

Anyway, how do the plugs last in a steel belted tire? Any feedback from anyone as to how long these plugs will last in a steel belted tire?
I've had plugged tires in all my vehicles....never had a problem.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The tire guys I've been dealing with (we're on a first-name basis :( ) will put two plugs in a radial tire but not three. They stand behind their work. Plugs work great as long as they're the right repair for the puncture and installed by a professional.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I look at it this way. I'll gladly do my own brake work because I know how to do it. I don't know enough about tires and tire plugs to know what kind of puncture can be plugged and whether I did a good enough job to avoid a wreck. I'll gladly pay $11.95 to someone who does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts