Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
@etrainman, the part number for the sensors for the steel wheels is (06421-S3V-A04). Look at post #17 below to read more about the sensors. I stand corrected by @McChizzle, as the part number for the alloy wheels is (42753-SHJ-A53).

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,288 Posts
I am changing from steel to alloy wheels. Will the steel wheel sensors work in the alloy wheels? 2007. Is there a process for learning the sensors?
Here is the TPMS memorization process for the 2006-2008 Ridgeline; note that HDS stands for Honda Diagnostic System, which you should not need for this process unless something goes wrong.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Sparkland, the TPMS sensors in the tires are the same for all 2006-2014 Ridgelines (i.e. all Gen1s) regardless if they have steel or alloy rims. Here is the TPMS memorization process for the 2006-2008 Ridgeline; note that HDS stands for Honda Diagnostic System, which you should not need for this process unless something goes wrong.
View attachment 399454
so i need a hds meter?

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
so i need a hds meter?
I did buy 2 sensors from aliexpress

and the tire shop said that they read when he sets his meter to "steel" (even though I changed to alloy rims) Should they still work? Why would his meter have a different setting for steel and alloy if the sensors are all the same?
My apologies for I have to correct myself (I already updated my original post). There are different TPMS tire sensors for steel vs alloy rims. Honda OEM TPMS tire sensors for the 2006-2014 Ridgelines with steel rims is 06421-S3V-A04 and the OEM TPMS tire sensor for the 2006-2014 Ridgelines with alloy rims (17" and 18") is 42753-SHJ-A53.

The process for programming these sensors remains the same. As I stated earlier, you do not need the HDS unless the system will not self-program as described in the graphic above. Then an HDS will be required to manually force the receivers to accept the new sensors.

Also, I do not think the TPMS tire sensor you linked us to will work, but it is a Honda sensor, so maybe it will, ...maybe...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My apologies for I have to correct myself (I already updated my original post). There are different TPMS tire sensors for steel vs alloy rims. Honda OEM TPMS tire sensors for the 2006-2014 Ridgelines with steel rims is 06421-S3V-A04 and the OEM TPMS tire sensor for the 2006-2014 Ridgelines with alloy rims (17" and 18") is 42753-SHJ-A53.

The process for programming these sensors remains the same. I stated earlier, you do not need the HDS unless the system will not self-program as described in the graphic above. Then an HDS will be required to manually force the receivers to accept the new sensors.

Also, I do not think the TPMS tire sensor you linked us to will work, but it is a Honda sensor, so maybe it will.
The link is a Part# 42753-SHJ-A53

The process for programming these sensors remains the same. As I stated earlier, you do not need the HDS unless the system will not self-program as described in the graphic above. Then an HDS will be required to manually force the receivers to accept the new sensors.

Also, I do not think the TPMS tire sensor you linked us to will work, but it is a Honda sensor, so maybe it will, ...maybe...
Still wondering why there are 2 different sensors. Will a steel sensor work (pair) if it is installed in a alloy wheel. So this should work US $14.84 12% OFF|XUAN 1PCS Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS For Acura RL MDX TL TL S Odyssey Touring Ridgeline VU Pilot 3.5L 42753 SHJ A53-in Tire Pressure Alarm from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
The link is a Part# 42753-SHJ-A53

Still wondering why there are 2 different sensors. Will a steel sensor work (pair) if it is installed in a alloy wheel. So this should work US $14.84 12% OFF|XUAN 1PCS Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS For Acura RL MDX TL TL S Odyssey Touring Ridgeline VU Pilot 3.5L 42753 SHJ A53-in Tire Pressure Alarm from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress
The difference could be how the sensors attach and seal to the rim so no air leaks around the sensor and valve stem.

Your original link takes me, here in the US, to the following page--which is for Honda part# 42753-SHJ-A82 (subtract the "0")--which is for the Honda Element (see screen capture below) and may work on other Honda vehicles, but that is a guess. Your newest link above, appears to be to the correct Honda part for Gen1 Ridgelines with alloy rims.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the tire guys meter showed that the linked one shows as a sensor for steel rims for ridgeline. But, I have it installed in an alloy wheel so not sure if it is pairing. I will lower the tire pressure and see if the light comes on for low pressure. With an 07 you cant tell which tire is low on pressure as it could be any one of the 4

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
If your sensors from your steel wheels are original from a 2007 Ridgeline then they are more than 10 years old and very likely at the end of their lifespan. I would suggest getting new sensors regardless of whether or not they are compatible with the alloy wheels. Proper TPMS sensors for the Ridgeline should auto learn without the need for HDS.

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
Yes, the tire guys meter showed that the linked one shows as a sensor for steel rims for ridgeline. But, I have it installed in an alloy wheel so not sure if it is pairing. I will lower the tire pressure and see if the light comes on for low pressure. With an 07 you cant tell which tire is low on pressure as it could be any one of the 4
Yes you can. The tire that is low will appear orange in the graphic of the vehicle in the information display.

Some notes regarding TPMS sensor programming...

Some vehicles must be programmed to read new TPMS sensors. The Ridgeline does not.

Some aftermarket TPMS sensors must be programmed to operate with a specific vehicle. Genuine Honda TPMS sensors do not.

Programming a vehicle to recognize a TPMS sensor is typically called "learning".

Programming a TPMS sensor for a particular application is more "configuring" or "setting up".

If you buy Genuine Honda TPMS sensors for your Ridgeline, they'll work without any type of learning or configuration.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes you can. The tire that is low will appear orange in the graphic of the vehicle in the information display.

Some notes regarding TPMS sensor programming...

Some vehicles must be programmed to read new TPMS sensors. The Ridgeline does not.

Some aftermarket TPMS sensors must be programmed to operate with a specific vehicle. Genuine Honda TPMS sensors do not.

Programming a vehicle to recognize a TPMS sensor is typically called "learning".

Programming a TPMS sensor for a particular application is more "configuring" or "setting up".
Ok, I will drop the psi in one tire to 25 and see what happens. I am not sure where the graphic of the vehicle is but I will look.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am very interested in your results with the new sensors from aliexpress. Please let us know how they work out.

Also, how are you planning on getting them installed?

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
The post showing the Ali Express ad does say Ridgeline in the ad. Be careful of this cheap Chinese junk. These may not work and after spending the money to get them installed, they may still throw an error if it doesn't pair completely. I would also be wary of how long they last. Some tire retailers may not even install them. Save your money and get the real deal.

To answer MashMash's question about installation, each tire must be removed from the rim and ultimately reinstalled and balanced. This alone could be a nice piece of change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts