Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 06 picked up a tread piercing something or other a few weeks back, evolving from a really slow leak to one causing TPMS to trigger every few days. With todays holiday, time to get this annoyance off the to-do list.

There's a locally owned southern California business by the name of Express Tire nearby home. I've done business with them several times in the last few decades. Decent prices, expected service quality from a tire shop and generally nice people. So I call. They "have time if I can make it there in the next 15 minutes or so"...

Young guy behind the counter pleasantly greets me as I enter. After the usual exchange, 06 is up on the rack while I'm sitting in the waiting room watching day time TV I never see (good thing).

About 20 minutes later, young guy comes in from the shop wearing an expression of genuine concern, holding a print out spewed from the nearby laserjet. He launches into a newly practiced explanation about scheduled maintenance and the consequences of deferring it, then slides the paper towards me, further explaining the line items were in urgent need of attention else some road side tragedy may result.

Included in the list are radiator hoses, spark plugs, a transmission flush and coolant exchange. It was all I could do to keep from L'ing OL.

After the requisite amount of time staring at the paper - totaling $690(!) I explain the 06 is fully up to date with her required maintenance, the most recent paid for service (A14) being done just a few blocks up the road. He pressed on saying the radiator hoses were "obviously" in need of replacement (which they are NOT). After listening closely, I ask... "what about the radiator/trans fluid heat exchange washers?" "HUH?" came the puzzled response. "You know, the two trans fluid lines at the bottom of the radiator that sometimes fail - letting engine coolant and trans fluid mix." He is genuinely confused now.

I looked out the shop window and saw the 06 was up on the rack.. "lemme show you." He follows me out to the front of the truck, her apron still sitting at home in the garage so the plumbing between engine and radiator is fully visible. Pointing at the area in question, I explain the washers he can see are sometimes the root cause of a phenomena known as SMOD. He's listening but can't keep his attention from moving to the shiny aluminum heat shields covering the recently added probes discussed in this thread.

As I rattled off the list of pending DIY projects including a new OSC rad, hoses, clamps, fluids, ETC at home, I'm not sure he understood what was being said because he was too busy processing the the fact that I wouldn't be spending $700 on service today. After few moments, he asked if I had the required equipment to power flush the transmission and perform a proper/correct flush of the coolant system. Aghast, I exclaimed "POWER FLUSH?" "YOU GUYS DON'T POWER FLUSH HONDA TRANSMISSIONS, DO YOU?" "UHHH..." he said.

Now I know he was just doing what his training instructs him to do, but I get the distinct impression that training doesn't cover how to handle a customer who might know a little something the vehicles they drive.

I'm pretty sure that is a common experience in the world of car service and it speaks volumes about knowledge being power - even when knowing only a little.

Thanks to the ROC and all her members, I'm not only saving money, I'm enjoying a safer, longer service life from my RL while basking in a sense of personal accomplishments doing the things within my personal capabilities.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Those places only care about the almighty dollar. They pretend to know what they are talking about and feign concern for the customer but it is just an act that they perform to extract money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not so generous with my time. I try to stick with costco tire on a weekday right before they open or America's Tire if Costco doesn't have what I want. I avoid local mom and pop shops as much as possible. I do check Yelp reviews however which I did on another vehicle for exhaust work. That turned out fine.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those places only care about the almighty dollar. They pretend to know what they are talking about and feign concern for the customer but it is just an act that they perform to extract money.
Absolutely true. Although too inexperienced to realize it, during our discussions young guy let slip information on how he and his shop mates are paid. Every last one (it seems) are incentivized to sell something, anything, in order to increase an all inclusive revenue model for employees the "family owners". Not a business model a consumer should support. Few shops these days are actually customer focused - "doing the right thing" for machines and people. Until I am no longer able to do so, I'll choose to execute my own service where possible.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Good story. Another good example of why I do all my own service work.

I practice my "just say no" approach when they hit me with the "extra" stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am still waiting to hear what actually *was done* at this location, parts replaces, prices paid, etc ? Once you gave them your verbal intellectual punch, what was the response in service performed ?

LOL. All that was done was what I went in for. Invoice total was $24.95. $4.95 for the patch, $20 for de/re-mount and balance.

$0.00 for the "courtesy inspection" they perform because, they are, you know... concerned about public safety and all.

After getting an earful about how young guy maintains his 2000 Ford Exploder, he did mention 06's "brakes look excellent" - which is a good thing seeing as how they were new about 5K ago.

This was the same shop that swapped 06's OEM rims for 2011 Pilot rims a while back, so nitrogen refill on the patched tire was free. WHEW!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Nice story OhSix, love it :p
You should've charged him for the education as I wise man once told me long ago......

"An education is a costly thing in life.....and you just got one for free sonny".....lol.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
For the last some 30 years I have only used 'Wheel Works' in Northern CA, America's Tires, or Tire Rack and never had an issue or a service pushed on me.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,345 Posts
In my experience, your experience is pretty common. . .

It is actually reminiscent of few HONDA dealership visits that I have had over the past 10 years of Ridge ownership.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts