Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my friend is selling me his 2008 RTL for 4K. It has 220,000 miles. It is well maintained and only has some cosmetic damage on the right rear door. I am looking into just buying a door from a junk yard and replacing it (Would save me over 1k). Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

But my main question is about tire size. The first thing I wanna do is get new rims, and I want them to look as sick and rugged as possible without having to do any messing around in the wheel Wells. So I guess my question is what is the biggest size rim I can get without having to do any extra work and it throwing of my speedometer and all that good stuff. I also would entertain getting a lift depending on the cost.

Basically I’m turning this into my project truck and I’m trying to make it look sick but I’m not good at welding and grinding and all that stuff so I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and comments on this.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I would suggest not exceeding the original tire diameter of 29.5".....doing so places more load on the engine/drivetrain and reduces performance. From a looks standpoint, the sky's the limit. The link below will help you understand the tire sidewall size numbers and how to calculate tire diameter/width, etc. The link will also help you understand wheel offset/back spacing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suggest not exceeding the original tire diameter of 29.5".....doing so places more load on the engine/drivetrain and reduces performance. From a looks standpoint, the sky's the limit. The link below will help you understand the tire sidewall size numbers and how to calculate tire diameter/width, etc. The link will also help you understand wheel offset/back spacing.

thank you for responding. I’m not to mechanically savvy so when I look at the number I’m kinda lost.

I found these rims( link below), I originally saw them on a Ridgeline so I know it can be done, but idk if it took customization.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for responding. I’m not to mechanically savvy so when I look at the number I’m kinda lost.

I found these rims( link below), I originally saw them on a Ridgeline so I know it can be done, but idk if it took customization.

here is the original pic that I found the rims on.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Kinda hard to tell from a pic, but I'd say neither the tires or the wheels are stock dimensions. I'd say the only thing stock is the 5X120 BP. It appears to be lifted as well. I'm old school....improving straight-line performance in whatever I drive/ride is what floats my boat. Taller tires reduce performance.......they're just harder to turn, compared to stock diameter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kinda hard to tell from a pic, but I'd say neither the tires or the wheels are stock dimensions. I'd say the only thing stock is the 5X120 BP. It appears to be lifted as well. I'm old school....improving straight-line performance in whatever I drive/ride is what floats my boat. Taller tires reduce performance.......they're just harder to turn, compared to stock diameter.
So I think this is the stock tire size: P245/65R17?
So can I put any 17inch rims that has the right bolt pattern?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
You have to consider the wheel offset as well. A higher (than stock) positive offset might not clear the calipers. There can be complications straying very far either way (from stock) with wheel offset.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have to consider the wheel offset as well. A higher (than stock) positive offset might not clear the calipers. There can be complications straying very far either way (from stock) with wheel offset.
I was on “carid.com” looking at rims and these were listed as compatible with 2008 Ridgeline.
If I do end up buying them and don’t like them i can return them for a refund.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Does Carid show the rim specs?......including offset? When you get the wheels, check fit/clearance. It’s been my understanding, once you mount a tire, you bought the rim.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I think some folks have mounted 20” wheels. At that point you start getting into rubber band tires (really short sidewalls) to maintain stock tire diameter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does Carid show the rim specs?......including offset? When you get the wheels, check fit/clearance. It’s been my understanding, once you mount a tire, you bought the rim.
yeah I couldn’t find the specs, maybe I just missed em. But now I’m kinda scared to buy some cause I don’t wanna mount them and then find out they don’t work😬

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Go to the wheel brand website.....they should have all of their rim specs. Don’t get discouraged.....you’ll be a tire/wheel expert in no time.👍

·
Registered
120 Posts
I´m using 265/70R17 with a 2" lift kit and i´m pretty happy with the performance, i didn´t have to cut or grind anything, the tires do rub a little bit but nothing too bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts