Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I purchased a 2021 RTL about 1 month ago. I've read several threads on this site about the Firestone tires that come standard on the the Ridgeline being inadequate for snow. My job requires me to be at work at times regardless of inclement weather. I live in Oklahoma and we only see 2-4 inches of snow in my area at a time. Can you all share your experience with Firestone tires on snow? Do you think they'd be adequate given the miniscule amount of snowfall? Should I get tire chains just in case? I appreciate an insight you can provide.

Mouse

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hello,

I purchased a 2021 RTL about 1 month ago. I've read several threads on this site about the Firestone tires that come standard on the the Ridgeline being inadequate for snow. My job requires me to be at work at times regardless of inclement weather. I live in Oklahoma and we only see 2-4 inches of snow in my area at a time. Can you all share your experience with Firestone tires on snow? Do you think they'd be adequate given the miniscule amount of snowfall? Should I get tire chains just in case? I appreciate an insight you can provide.

Mouse
My opinion would be to grab chains just in case (not bad to keep around especially when traveling) but drive on the stock tires and see if they work for you. I have driven the stock tires here in Utah and they were fine the main benefit for upgrading tires will be stopping distance and if you are going through some deep stuff. I've gone through 5 inches with no issues and stopped just fine allowing longer stopping distances. My wife has driven the truck to ski resorts with no issues but I keep my chains in the truck during the winter. We are at around 4,400 feet but if I lived in the mountains I would probably consider winter tires. The other reason I would consider better tires is if your driving on ice frequently. Our snow is dry so no issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My opinion would be to grab chains just in case (not bad to keep around especially when traveling) but drive on the stock tires and see if they work for you. I have driven the stock tires here in Utah and they were fine the main benefit for upgrading tires will be stopping distance and if you are going through some deep stuff. I've gone through 5 inches with no issues and stopped just fine allowing longer stopping distances. My wife has driven the truck to ski resorts with no issues but I keep my chains in the truck during the winter. We are at around 4,400 feet but if I lived in the mountains I would probably consider winter tires. The other reason I would consider better tires is if your driving on ice frequently. Our snow is dry so no issues.
I appreciate the input! I'll probably just pick up some chains just in case.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,185 Posts
Agree with Technist that you shouldn't have issues. Just remember that stopping distances may be quite a bit longer in slippery conditions. Also be aware that many (most?) drivers will have tires that are inferior to yours, and practically all of them will have an inferior AWD or 4wd system. Watch out for them.

It usually comes down to driving ability, attitude and paying attention.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does the RL have adequate fender clearance for chains?

Regardless of snow quantity, be aware that proper snow tires have tread compounds that function much better in cold weather than so-called "all-season" tires. A newer type, sometimes called "all-weather" may have a compound that works well when cold. A little on-line research will find any number of discussions regarding the differences.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,185 Posts
Does the RL have adequate fender clearance for chains?

Regardless of snow quantity, be aware that proper snow tires have tread compounds that function much better in cold weather than so-called "all-season" tires. A newer type, sometimes called "all-weather" may have a compound that works well when cold. A little on-line research will find any number of discussions regarding the differences.
The smaller-diameter snow cables will work on stock-size tires. Honda even has a recommendation in the Owner's Manual. If you opt for larger aftermarket tires, however, the cables likely won't fit.

Agree with the All-Weather tires for the OP's application, especially if he feels uncomfortable with the stock LE tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I run TOYO CELCIUS CUV tires year round and I love them. Very good on snow and ice with the benefit of avoiding winter tire changeover. BG

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
227 Posts
Hello,

Mouse
This is my 3rd vehicle with Destination LE2's, they easily handle the N.E. Ohio snow better than most all-season tires I've experienced, including freak lake-effect snow events coming off Lake Erie. Would dedicated Winter tires do better? Of course, but never felt the need on any of my AWD Honda vehicles. My own commuting is at all hours of the day and night, never had a problem.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Chains…in Oklahoma? That’s funny.

You’ll be just fine with the stock tires. Mine did great and I’m more north than you and see more snow. I can’t imagine any issues under 10” of snow with the stock tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is my 3rd vehicle with Destination LE2's, they easily handle the N.E. Ohio snow better than most all-season tires I've experienced, including freak lake-effect snow events coming off Lake Erie. Would dedicated Winter tires do better? Of course, but never felt the need on any of my AWD Honda vehicles. My own commuting is at all hours of the day and night, never had a problem.
Great! Glad to hear it. This puts me at ease at bit. Thanks for posting your experience with the LE2s!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chains…in Oklahoma? That’s funny.

You’ll be just fine with the stock tires. Mine did great and I’m more north than you and see more snow. I can’t imagine any issues under 10” of snow with the stock tires.
Thanks for posting your experience. I appreciate it! I think I’ll stick with stock tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I lived in Oklahoma for 40 years and only worried about snow a few times when we saw the freak blizzard. Ice is the big problem and no tire handles that well. Chains all the way for ice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I lived in Oklahoma for 40 years and only worried about snow a few times when we saw the freak blizzard. Ice is the big problem and no tire handles that well. Chains all the way for ice.
You talking ‘bout the 2010 blizzard?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm in Oklahoma too, and I still have the original Firestones on my 2019 Ridge. The snow we got this past February was,(I believe) the most snow my Ridge has seen. It handled fine, although I didn't venture too far off from the house.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts