Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some suggestions as we have a few 2012 and 2013 RTL's with less than 20,000 miles driven but the factory original Michelin tires and for safety (..and another 10 years ..) planning new tire purchase from Costco.

Costco does sell (1) TPMS sensors but is there a case for swapping in existing (2) sensors or purchase from dealer or online Honda parts seller(s) a set of new sensors and give them to Costco installer (3) ?

So, option 1,2 or 3 or something else to know ?

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,259 Posts
Looking for some suggestions as we have a few 2012 and 2013 RTL's with less than 20,000 miles driven but the factory original Michelin tires and for safety (..and another 10 years ..) planning new tire purchase from Costco.

Costco does sell (1) TPMS sensors but is there a case for swapping in existing (2) sensors or purchase from dealer or online Honda parts seller(s) a set of new sensors and give them to Costco installer (3) ?

So, option 1,2 or 3 or something else to know ?
Personally, I would purchase the Honda ones online, because they are not that expensive. It might depend on how much Costco is charging you for TPMS. Good move on planning to replace your existing ones.

Reactions: gti16vman

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have had good luck with bernardiparts.com. Last time I checked, the Honda sensors were cheaper than aftermarket, so it’s a no-brainer. You are smart to replace them - your originals are probably almost done.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I would sell me one of your 20k late-Gen1 Ridgelines for very reasonable price, lol.

Sorry for not answering your question, but a) others have provided reasonable solutions, and b) I wanted to express my jealousy of your G1 Ridgeline wealth.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.. sell me one of your 20k late-Gen1 Ridgelines for ...
Just driving to local big box stores and someone walks up as I return to car and makes a cash offer.
Recently around 25k cash and I just sign title over and remove my plates.

kbb.com this morning on one of the 2012's - cash offer, no trade, no replacement
Organism Mammal Font Terrestrial plant Darkness

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Just driving to local big box stores and someone walks up as I return to car and makes a cash offer.
Recently around 25k cash and I just sign title over and remove my plates.

kbb.com this morning on one of the 2012's - cash offer, no trade, no replacement
View attachment 421349
I said "reasonable", lol.

Seriously, the #s are stunning, almost disorienting.

You going to let it go?

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
317 Posts
If they install their brand and something isn't right it's on them to make it right.

I'd look at Rock Auto for pricing. The only thing there is that the shipping is pretty high $.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not sure why you're concerned about Costco replacing TPMS sensors with your new tires. To me, your TPMS sensors are already 10 year old?
I purchased Michelin Cross Country-2 tires from Costco on sale in November 2021, for my 2019 RL Sport and SO's 2018 Honda Civic. Ordered online, sent to local Costco tire shop and booked the installation appointment online. Let them install their TPMS sensors on both cars. Zero issues to date.

My only suggestion: Remove and hold /save your factory metallic valve stem covers, because Costco will install their green colored valve stem covers.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TopWater said:
Ordered online, sent to local Costco tire shop and booked the installation appointment online.
Let them install their TPMS sensors on both cars. Zero issues to date.
Remove and hold /save your factory metallic valve stem covers, because Costco will install their green colored valve stem covers.
Did you verify tire datecodes were (1) recent and (2) all 4 tires have identical date codes, ie. visual check before installation?
What was the additional price for the sensors&install of same on top of the tire price?
Did you remove the valve stem covers or discover they were removed and not returned to you?

Thank you for the suggestions.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wow, the sensors for my 2021 were only around $22 - if they're over $50 it's worth trying Costcos!

·
Registered
195 Posts
"Did you verify tire date codes were (1) recent and (2) all 4 tires have identical date codes, ie. visual check before installation?"
-- No, I did not. Online Costco tire inventory for the CrossClimate2 Tires is popular, and constantly out of stock, so I wasn't concerned about stale tire inventory. FWIW- I did the Michelin warranty registration online. 3 of 4 tires had the same "code", but I don't know if that was a date code or manufacturing code.

What was the additional price for the sensors&install of same on top of the tire price?
-- About $80 including the TPMS sensors and disposal fee's (California)

Did you remove the valve stem covers or discover they were removed and not returned to you?
--On the RL, I asked them to save my original valve stems - they did. On the Civic, they urged me to remove and hold them. ( I used two different Costco tire centers becuase of the geography of where the two cars are located)

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,698 Posts
Not sure why you're concerned about Costco replacing TPMS sensors with your new tires. To me, your TPMS sensors are already 10 year old?
I purchased Michelin Cross Country-2 tires from Costco on sale in November 2021, for my 2019 RL Sport and SO's 2018 Honda Civic. Ordered online, sent to local Costco tire shop and booked the installation appointment online. Let them install their TPMS sensors on both cars. Zero issues to date.

My only suggestion: Remove and hold /save your factory metallic valve stem covers, because Costco will install their green colored valve stem covers.
You mean the valve caps? I refuse to use metal valve caps and will only use plastic. I've had a metal one weld to the stem thread and couldn't get it off. Neither could the tire shop and a wheel was damaged in the process and had to be repaired.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TopWater said:
3 of 4 tires had the same "code", but I don't know if that was a date code or manufacturing code.
On the sidewall of the tire, locate a number that starts with DOT. It can be up to 12 digits long. The last three or four numbers are the date code.

The two numbers at the beginning of the date code are the week of the year the tire was made. This number will range from 01 to 52.

After year 2000, there are four numbers in the date code, the last two numbers are the year of manufacture since the year 2000. For example, a tire with the date code 3109 was manufactured in the year 2009, because the "09" represents the year the tire was made.

Example How old are my tires? - CheckTire.com

Entered DOT code: 3109
Date of production: 2009-07-27
Tire age: 12 years 5 months 18 days
Your tire is 147.6% older than your country average.
Your tires are over 10 years old, you should replace them to drive safely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts