Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about a week away from my install date and am doing the last minute panic. I'm running a JL 500/1v2 and a JL 300/4v2 and I like to listen loud. I know the stock alternator puts out 130Amps and they make a high output that pushes 195amps for about $250 and they make insane battery capacitors rated beyond 100farads, but I'll be honest, I'm tired of spending money, I've got $2,200 in it so far. Can anyone tell me will this setup really strain my alternator? I know JL underrated their equipment so let's just round up and say it's pushing 1000watts give or take. Did anyone experience dimming lights, excessive alternator wear, or any other issues with similar wattage? I'm not a huge fan of capacitors from what I know about them but I'd rather hear some input before I put the insides back together, I never want to take apart that back seat again! Any input would be great!!!

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
There are many members that have systems with 2 amps of over 1500 rms watts and do not use a capacitor. If your amps are not class D, You just need 4 or 0 gauge for each amp. A good battery like an Altima, Odyssey, or Deca Intimidator. And maybe the big 3 upgrade that is just cost of 6 foot long 4 or 0 gauge wire and terminals.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just did an install and have two 800w amps without any cap and don't seem to have any problems. I also like to play my music loud. If its a big concern, leave enough wiring under the carpet or something to add it later. Good luck on the install.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should be okay without a cap. Here's my set up. Did it all myself. Nothing fancy. I never have passengers in the back but I can take the sub out and toss it in the trunk if I had to have the small portion of the back seat folded down too.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
nice pics mountainbiker!

Only one way to find out BlackedOutRidge07 . Once it's set up! :act064:

Don't buy a cap until you feel you absolutely need one. Until then, happy listening....:act035:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Dont bother, I run two big amps and never had a problem... Do the "Big Three" and go from there..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the timely responses. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get away without the cap and the big 3 is probably in the near future. All the components are finally coming in the mail and the ups guy is starting to get annoyed. Will let everyone know how it turns out and if everything fits. 2x JL 10w3v3's, JL 500/1v2, JL 300/4v2, JL C2 650x Coaxials, JL C5 650 components, MTX Re-Q5 Audio processor, powered by 4awg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts