Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm leaning towards the Gen2 RL I thought I'd pose a question to Gen1 RL owners. Do most people forgo having a bed cover since there is the lockable in-bed trunk? With previous trucks I've always had a bed cover so I could use it as a trunk to prevent theft and keep stuff dry but I'd prefer to keep the bed open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put an Access roll-up cover on my '07 RTL a couple years after truck purchase. I chose the roll-up type vs a hard shell, for both price and flexibility. I can still carry the tall items that Rich M. noted as a concern, because when the cover is rolled up, it leaves a small 'footprint' against the front of the bed. The only real caveat with the Access cover (at least for my 2007) is that the rails prevent the in-bed trunk lid from opening all the way. It's not a big deal though. Having the cover available is great during times of precipitation, since I use the bed a great deal.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I ran uncovered (nekkid) nearly all the time. I had a SofTopper for the times that I wanted to protect what I was carrying from the weather (it offers zero protection from theft). This was mainly when I was moving stuff between North Carolina and Texas.

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
No cover for me either. The trunk carries pretty much all I need to protect from the elements and prying eyes. The bed does pretty much what I need it to do for hauling the bigger stuff that doesn't fit inside the cabin or the rear of the Pilot... especially if it's dirty stuff for the lawn or whatever.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It seems to me that having a cover or not depends on your personal use and need. I don't think having the in-bed trunk makes any difference in that decision.

Personally, I've never had a need for a cover (or cap) on any of the trucks I've owned. My Ridgeline in-bed trunk also stays relatively empty, but is one of the features I appreciate the most, especially when hauling items I want to keep out of sight.

Unless you have a need to haul a lot of tools and equipment, a cover seems unnecessary IMO. I have friends who have covers and their truck bed ultimately becomes a junky storage container.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I had the "Access" cover when I owned my '06. As others mentioned, the trunk opening limitation was a minor inconvenience, as was the "box" that it rolled up into. Otherwise, I liked having the extra (hidden) space for luggage, etc when traveling.

I'm actively considering getting the G2 RL when available and will probably look into one of the folding cover options this time around.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a BakFlip G2 hard cover and feel it comes in handy when going on vacation. I can load all the bags, coolers, lawn chairs, etc and with the tailgate lock, I do not worry if we stop somewhere. Also it keeps items out of the back seat.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I didn't buy a cover because of the trunk and under rear seat storage. I have the honda cargo net for odd shaped items that need to be strapped down in the bed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a BakFlip G2 hard cover and feel it comes in handy when going on vacation. I can load all the bags, coolers, lawn chairs, etc and with the tailgate lock, I do not worry if we stop somewhere. Also it keeps items out of the back seat.
BakFlip HD keeps the snow from accumulating, covers the stuff in the box on dump runs and comes on and off easy. Highly recommended and you still have easy access to your trunk.0:)

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
We use the truck with the OEM hard Tonneau Cover staying on most of the time. This has been that way for the last 9yrs the accessory cover was installed when picked up the truck new at the dealership. We just put stuff under the cover like luggage as the vehicle is used either to commute or travel.
Even with the in-bed trunk I got medium sized Igloo Marine coolers that will fit under the Tonneau Cover. I measured them to make sure they fit under the cover just in case want to put more valuable items into in-bed trunk.
While the cover is not completely water tight it does a pretty good job of keeping stuff dry. Looking at Next Gen Ridgeline will do the same with cover again.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Unless you have a specific need, there's not much point to the added expense & sometimes interference of a cover.

On the other hand, if you need/want the added locked, hidden storage space, a cover can be a wonderful thing. We still had kids at home when we bought the RL, so when going camping, it was nice to get everything we hauled with us under the cover, so that we could rest easy when stopped along the way in a restaurant or whatever.
And we still take extended road trips (1-2 months at a time), during which it's very handy to have that space available, even with just the two of us.

But those are pretty specific life-style needs. I can imagine most people would get along just fine w/o the locking tonneau cover / tailgate.
(ours is a Retrax BTW)

·
Registered
132 Posts
A bed cover is a must for me, which makes the bed depth critical. Living in the north east, I need to keep things out of the snow, and a cover prevents you from having to shovel out the bed any time it snows. The in bed trunk isn't big enough for a lot of things that I would carry, plus I would have to shovel the bed to get in it anyway.
The shallow bed, and lack of a locking tailgate are 2 big things that are pushing me back towards the Taco.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everybody for the feedback; sounds like I can take a wait and see approach before pulling the trigger on a bed cover. Unfortunately with other trucks it was a day one purchase since I didn't want stuff I put in the bed to grow legs and walk off.

But I agree with others that I have said it's nice to have an open bed for carrying oversized items.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I have to have a "camper shell" for my gen II Ridge. I carry high value medical equipment and I won't roll without a Leer or ARE.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
I have the Pergon, actually my second Peragon on my second RL. I like the way it clips off and fits under the back seat when I need full access to the bed.

Here's a link to their site if you are interested. - http://peragon.com/

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Thanks everybody for the feedback; sounds like I can take a wait and see approach before pulling the trigger on a bed cover. Unfortunately with other trucks it was a day one purchase since I didn't want stuff I put in the bed to grow legs and walk off.

But I agree with others that I have said it's nice to have an open bed for carrying oversized items.
But remember with the Factory bed cover it can be taken off in a min or two and folded and stored in the rear seating area if no passenger or in bed depending on what you are carrying in bed. If you anticipate you will need open bed take it off and leave at home. It's not so heavy that the average person can't do this. The new Ridgeline accessory Tonneau Cover looks like it will be easy to remove just like original if you need open bed.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
A bed cover is a must for me, which makes the bed depth critical. Living in the north east, I need to keep things out of the snow, and a cover prevents you from having to shovel out the bed any time it snows. The in bed trunk isn't big enough for a lot of things that I would carry, plus I would have to shovel the bed to get in it anyway.
The shallow bed, and lack of a locking tailgate are 2 big things that are pushing me back towards the Taco.
You have to shovel the bed cover to open it don't you???

The Tacoma's lesser riding position, handling / ride quality, interior room, and lack of a trunk are pushing me towards another Ridge when the time comes . . .

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am sure some company will make an add-on lock like they did on the Gen1. That is what I am banking on, so I am leaning towards the RL more and more, and away from the new Taco.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Since I'm leaning towards the Gen2 RL I thought I'd pose a question to Gen1 RL owners. Do most people forgo having a bed cover since there is the lockable in-bed trunk? With previous trucks I've always had a bed cover so I could use it as a trunk to prevent theft and keep stuff dry but I'd prefer to keep the bed open.
what ever you put in there will be subject to weather and theft, without a cover. So, I would say cover.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts