Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm lucky that I can buy my vehicles new...so I can offer SOME perspective on trucks and quality.
Truck 1: 94 T100 standard cab 2WD. Never a problem 110K miles. sold it...and saw it STILL on the road up until a few years ago. Perfect for me as a single guy. Got married, had a kids...then the single bench seat didn't work anymore....
Truck 2: 2000 Toyota Tundra 2WD extended (access?) cab. 120K miles. Never a problem. another kid on the way caused me to go "bigger" on the cab. Couldn't afford a "real" big truck, didn't want to pay the fuel either. In comes my;
Truck 3: 2007 Ridgeline (paid $23K). Silver mid line model. Ran it to 110K...no problems. Great mileage. Never stuck in snow...great for my 3 kids and work and play.
Truck 4: 2013 Ridgeline sport (paid $29K). Wanted a new truck before the RL vacation on redesign. Quality seems a bit less on the 13 than the 07. But still. Its did everything well. Had to give up power seats for the sport, but that was about it.

I toss stuff in the back constantly. Pull tow dollys with a car and a trailer up to 4500 lbs. probably monthly. No work, just fun duties.

Now I'm looking for a new truck. I'm open to anything. Colorado 2.8 diesel....but can't see myself back in a BIG full size truck. After all, I drive 50 miles RT for work each day and 90% of my driving is with an empy cab and bed. 15mpg is NOT something I want. I WANT AWD. after having it, I can't say I want to be without it. Seems no matter what I look at...$40 K seems to be the number that comes up. :(

Deal I was just offered: 2017 RTL-E (42.4K sticker)...$39.5K...~$2900 off MSRP . with $15K trade in on my 13 Sport. 80K miles. I just don't know. I'd have to fork over my Truck PLUS $27K (out the door).

I could probably sell my 13 for ??? 18k? but then have to add another $1000 on my check to cover the sales tax loss...so that's really $17 (not the 18K).

What would you do??????????? Why the RTL-E? I need a back window as I use it OFTEN for transporting mouldings and trim for my wife's work! My wife likes the safety stuff....but I could care less. I don't even like leather! My 12 yr old noted the shape of the entrance to the rear seats is much narrower.....and harder to get into. Heck, If I could find and aftermarket sliding window..I'd be much much happier in a cloth seat RTS and save the 5K!

I've looked at the Colorado/Canyon Diesel: $38K. but you can't even lay a 4x8 sheet down between the wells in the bed! wtf? Tundras have gotten way way too large and pricey. Full sizes are ...we'll too big.
I just seem to find anything that will do what the RL does......except for an RL. go figure.

What would you do?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I would hang onto the Sport for another year or two. Reasons:

1) It's still young and reliable;

2) They are not giving you anywhere near what it's worth in trade;

3) The 2017 is a first year model with some typical growing pains;

4) A 2018 or 2019 stands a chance of having the opening rear window trickle down to lower trims, and to having the rear door hinge re-designed for wider opening. (In fact, those are probably the two most likely changes to be made in the next model year or two);

5) Your kids will be a year or two older and will hopefully take a little better care of the new vehicle (fewer spills, pukes, diaper blow-outs, etc).

·
Registered
4 Posts
What's wrong with the 13? Not old, it serves your needs, probably has low miles. It has some life left and you can wait a bit until the 17 inventory has caught up, then you can get a better deal and maybe some of the mid-model improvements might come into effect.

I'm waiting until my 09 Tacoma gives up the ghost and I'm getting the Ridgeline. It checks all of my boxes as a suburban, daily truck driver who loves a truck for weekend warrior stuff but doesn't offroad or need to tow 10k lbs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
You've fallen into the E trap. To have that window it will cost you big bucks over an RTS. Either pay up or forego transporting the trim. Not an ideal situation and Honda trim offerings have put you in a box for sure. The swaying factor would be the sensing if your wife is mentioning it and those awesome headlights to boot. Maybe the aftermarket will come up with a manual rear window. You could keep your current RL until you can take a look at the other trucks when they come to market in the next year or two. It's just a shame because an RTS plus sensing (1k) and a rear window (500?) is all you need. If you have to do this right now at least you are getting a good deal on an E. A radical thought would be a 4WD Sienna. It sounds like it will cover all the bases except you get the good old minivan label in return.

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
It sounds to me like you've already decided.

Test drive a few different trucks. (F150, Canyon, and the RL) Then decide what works for you.

I personally drove the Ram Big horn 3.0 Diesel (and loved it from a motor perspective) and drove the 2.8 GMC Canyon and hated it from a pickup perspective and the F150 (best competition to the RL2 IMO). And then I bought the RL2 cause it was better for what I wanted (A SUV like pickup truck which I call my SUT). The RL is the best of the group for being like a car like thing. It's less truck like on the road and less truck like and fits in my garage. And I don't have to tow anything over 3500lbs anyway. So, it was the RL for me. And yes, I agree the opening back window would be nice for 16ft moulding but I haul that only like once every 5 or so years. (maybe)

Steve

·
Registered
926 Posts
I LOVE my G2, just saying.

Isn't it possible to buy a OEM rear window with sliding door and have it installed?

Or wait for the '18 G2 on something that MIGHT change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To make the G2 into what I really want:

1) 2" more ground clearance (do-able) aftermarket lift kit and tires
2) skid plates (do-able) aftermarket
3) turbo diesel and 30 gal. tank for some R A N G E ! Honda makes the N22 diesel for non US market cars...but is a little small.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
2013 is such a young vehicle. Unless it already has over 200k, I'd just keep it running. I say 20 years or 200k or more than $1000 a year to keep running for 3 years in a row, unless you really need a functional change.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
It's your money, and the happiness and excitement that comes with a new vehicle means a lot. No question there.

In addition to the points ISOTruck made on post 2, I'm going to bring up the cold hard reality of depreciation. As your dealer has subtly pointed out, your 2013's value has dropped $14k in the four years you've had it. Another ROC member posted a couple of weeks ago about his 2017 RTL-E with 17,000 miles in San Diego. KBB now values that RTL-E as $35,289. Current MSRP is around $42k, meaning RTL-Es are dropping in value $7k their first year (at least in San Diego). Generally the first year is the worst hit. But lets assume you buy the E. A year from now, $21K in value will have evaporated from your two purchases spanning 5 years.

Again, that's fine and dandy if you've got the money. Having a new car can bring lots of pleasure and excitement. If it is worth it to you, go for it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm always baffled about these kind of posts. Is the OP taking a poll and then buying based on the consensus of opinions? If you can afford a new car and want it just do it. Everything doesn't have to be justified in dollars.

I had a 2015 Canyon about 2 years, but it have transmission shifting issues that bugged me every time I drove it. From a financial point of view I should have kept driving it, but I could afford to trade and I did. So far I'm very happy with the RTL-E.

Don't know if this helps, but its really your decision.

Reactions: 2017BE

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Just had the TB service done on my 07, I will keep it for another 5 years, IMO much nicer than the 17's granted it's not new but still looks it and runs like it. Unfortunately the new car smell wore off awhile ago, oncE I do get rid of it I will not get another Honda as there quality is going south.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Just had the TB service done on my 07, I will keep it for another 5 years, IMO much nicer than the 17's granted it's not new but still looks it and runs like it. Unfortunately the new car smell wore off awhile ago, oncE I do get rid of it I will not get another Honda as there quality is going south.

Sucks to hear because mine has been running like a dream since Day 1. I wish I liked the G1s enough to have gotten one, just couldn't get past the look.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You don't really say "why" you're looking for a new truck. That's kind of important.

If you just want something new, and have the money, go get whatever you want. If there are specific reasons why your '13 is no longer working for you, you might want to post that, as that would greatly impact what you might want to look at as a replacement.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Another ROC member posted a couple of weeks ago about his 2017 RTL-E with 17,000 miles in San Diego. KBB now values that RTL-E as $35,289. Current MSRP is around $42k, meaning RTL-Es are dropping in value $7k their first year (at least in San Diego). Generally the first year is the worst hit.
Wouldn't the mileage have something to do with the value? 17k for a current model year vehicle is a lot of miles. An -E with 2000 miles on it would not suffer the same depreciation.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Typing reading on this cellphone is a well anyway I had to
Re read the post a 2013 is just a baby for a vehicle.
I don't know reason for wanting new model.
I did that once purchased a 1990 Accord LX new but wanted the EX. Credit Union would only give loan for LX.
I accessorized it the way I wanted with OEM parts fog lights alloy wheels. I really never liked the lighter color int.
So when all new 1994 Accord was first released I bought a it a few days after. Credit Union didn't have any problems then the 1990 was paid off in 3yrs. I took a hit on trade in but got what I wanted and accessories were on at time of delivery.
I was happy with my purchase

·
Registered
5 Posts
You're making the classic mistake that car dealers love... You're trading in a vehicle that is not very old with not many miles on it for basically the same vehicle with more gadgets.

I just bought my RTL-E at invoice and got rid of my beloved 2000 F150, that needed a new AC system.. Just was time for a new truck.

Suggest you drive your old Ridgeline into the ground!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts