Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've posted in another thread I bought an '06 but found the radio lights weren't working and it's an expensive fix. At first the dealer refused to do anything.

Then I posted some reviews on Yelp, Cars.com and a dealer review site.

I'm now getting a check for a 2 hundred dollars towards a new radio:grin:

I probably could have gotten more but I was surprised they offered anything.

Now - to the main point.

I have a Garmin GPS and a phone that both do nav well. Non nav radios are a lot cheaper but I'm thinking I would regret not getting that option. Has anyone else gone the non nav route and regretted it? (or not)

·
Registered
277 Posts
For the very infrequent times that I use navigation, my phone works great. I build a holder for it that slides into the open area below the radio. I got the idea from ROC, but I can't seem to find any pictures of it. I could take a few and post them if that would be helpful to you.

What I like about the phone is it's Google Maps, and always updated. The only in-dash navigation that I'd consider today is an Android Auto (or Apple version, whatever that is) where it mirrors your phone's screen on the radio and allows you to interact with your phone through it. Any in-dash nav system that has its own software and mapping is of little use to me, as they require updates to remain current.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would prefer to have an easily updateable in-radio navigation system. But if you are talking about replacing the broken one with the nav system that came with the ridgeline I would skip it.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would prefer to have an easily updateable in-radio navigation system. But if you are talking about replacing the broken one with the nav system that came with the ridgeline I would skip it.
No I was thinking of an in radio nav system. ease of update is a must and one of the reasons I asked. Most of the low end radio/nav systems on Crutch field have complaints about updates or lack of calling out street names.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I like about the phone is it's Google Maps, and always updated. .
Google maps is good, but I've actually had it be wrong a time or 2 when I ran it with my Garmin also on. (big northern cities like Philly, totally lost so I needed all the help I could get) But those were just errors where google said the location was 1/2 mile down the street or something like that. I also like waze when driving on the interstates or large highways. I like the phone mirroring Idea. I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Here's the concept:

Getting Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in your car is easier than you think | The Verge

If it were me, I'd at least wait a year before I did anything, to see what develops in the aftermarket for this. Android Auto and Apple Car Play are still pretty young in terms of maturity and, as with TVs or anything else electronic, the second generation devices tend to be a ton better than the first wave of stuff that hits the market.

I'd spend the least amount I could on a working used Ridgeline radio and run it, and just see what comes of that. Maybe you decide you like it and figure your IRA could use the $1,000 more than your truck could! Your retirement self will thank you profusely! :) Or, maybe you decide that you have to have that screen -- but by that time, the market for these will have matured some and you'll see better products being offered.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will not spend 1k on any radio for the truck. I'm cringing at 500 bucks. A JVC KW-V51BT as the android mirror capabilities but I wonder how much I even need that. My ford Fusion just had Bluetooth and it was more than adequate. But I'll do a little more research. the longer I have the stock unit the less I like it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Save your money and go non-nav. I have a vehicle with Nav( 2008 Acura TL Type S) and a 2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL non Nav. The WAZE App on your phone is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Being a cheap bastard has its occasional benefits - I qualify as a cheap. An old school stand alone dedicated GPS solution is my preference.

Aside from nice stuff like SW updates, spoken direction, remote camera inputs; they are portable allowing use in multiple vehicles. This (now aging) Magellan was purchased primarily for use in a motorhome where it sits a good distance from driver position. The large screen is plenty usable and once set at the start of a trip is hands off unless changing perspective or checking speed/altitude or other settings is required.

20150509_155352.jpg

When I tried it out in the RL, I immediately noticed the desire to fiddle with phone based GPS had disappeared. I've used it in rental cars, friends vehicles, boats and even handheld on hikes making use of features not available on phones. And when traveling in the boonies of NY state, it was a real life saver navigating to a destination where there was zero cell network coverage.

IMG951896.jpg

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Garmin Stand alone that is very dependable. Free updates as well.

I'm leaning towards the cheap club....

·
Registered
579 Posts
I love my Garmin stand alone, especially since it has live traffic.
It's saved me many hours of traffic jams as it routed me around them before I even got close.
On a 15hr drive back from Florida last year, I couldn't believe the accidents that had the interstate completely shut down.
The Garmin routed me around hundreds of cars that were stuck due to accidents.
I couldn't believe all those cars didn't have Nav units with live traffic as there were many new models.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the radio installed on Saturday. I went with a Kenwood DDX7701HD. I also had them install an HDMI USB adapter in the console that allows me to mirror my Android on the unit. It doesn't allow me to control it but If I'm using Waze or Google maps I can put it on the display.

I looked the android specific units but they depend too much (to me) on the phone. I don't use my phone much for music in the car and when I do, Bluetooth streaming will do fine.

The unit sounds awesome on the factory speakers . Sound is a lot less muddy. It has a built in EQ and drives the sub as well.

Installed it was $600 and that included all the cables and an antenna adapter plus steering wheel control.

Pros: Awesome sound, lots of features, voice control for dialing

Cons: Steering wheel control channel buttons do a manual channel scan instead of moving between presets. It's already blown the right rear passenger speaker.

·
Registered
58 Posts
+1 on the Kenwood. I have an older one with Garmin navi built in (before screen casting was available). If you're cheaping out just get the 2010 model off of amazon or ebay. You get one free garmin update.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts