Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been getting the new Ridgeline itch. Reading here doesn't help curb that since most of you seem pretty happy with your purchase. Regarding towing, do you miss not having individual gear lockouts? Love to hear from you that tow. I see the RL has a D4 lockout which might be sufficient for towing 3500-3700 lbs. (Possibly holding out for the cooled seats:smile: Have them on my Ram and love them in summer.)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We have a micro boat under 1000lbs... D4 works for the mountain passes and compared to our previous tow vehicles (1997 Honda CRV and 2016 Subaru Forester), you can forget you have the little boat back there as it does not throw the truck around what so ever. Sure footed and plenty of power for less than 1/5th of it's tow capacity. Others will have to chime in for heavier loads like yours!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
The TFL Truck guys, used a member of the site for their towing test, after he had previously tested it with his trailer. It's impressive.

That member is a previous G1 owner and he immediately knew the difference, he lives in Colorado, and is familar, with the Eisenhower Pass, or as the TFL Truck guys call it the "IKE Gauntlet"

I'll add links, but search the G2 section you should find his links.

My first towing experience with the Ridgeline G2 RTL-E

Second experience towing a 4550lb Travel Trailer at 10,000 Ft.

Ridgeline Towing 4220lb Trailer over Kenosha pass 5.3% Grade Video

2017 Honda Rigdeline Towing 4050lbs over Ike Gauntlet downhill side. Video

Up The IKE Gauntlet with 2017 Ridgeline towing 4440lbs

TFL Truck on IKE Gauntlet Towing 4840 lbs

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I tow a 6' X 12' Enclosed motorcycle trailer. With bike(s) and gear I can push the 5,000 pound limit. The Ridgeline G2 is up to the task. The electric brakes (suggested as a requirement for over 1500 pounds if I recall correctly) help on downgrades.

I have also towed a big U-haul Transport 6000 with a Toyota Rav 4 from Cape Cod, MA to South-Central PA. Again, no difficulties. I never found myself wishing for the lower gears.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I too had a RAM, I tow a boat iro 3000lb, no issues and more economic than the RAM. You know it's there though, which is a good thing, sometimes I forgot with the RAM. I install brakes on the trailer. Not needed to use D4 or Lo yet.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Ok, so I don't actually do the towing myself, my SO does the towing... isn't the D4 setting so the vehicle doesn't spend all it's time hunting around gears and wearing out the transmission when going up windy mountain passes?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Ok, so I don't actually do the towing myself, my SO does the towing... isn't the D4 setting so the vehicle doesn't spend all it's time hunting around gears and wearing out the transmission when going up windy mountain passes?
I have found when a downshift is required it’s does quite a good job on selecting the right gear. No hunting.

The only time I’ve had it downshift was into a strong headwind and/or hills.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Lately I've been getting the new Ridgeline itch. Reading here doesn't help curb that since most of you seem pretty happy with your purchase. Regarding towing, do you miss not having individual gear lockouts? Love to hear from you that tow. I see the RL has a D4 lockout which might be sufficient for towing 3500-3700 lbs. (Possibly holding out for the cooled seats:smile: Have them on my Ram and love them in summer.)

I for one due miss being able to lock the transmission in a lower gear, or downshift when towing. I also came from a RAM with the HEMI. Only difference I have noticed pulling the same 7x12 enclosed trailer with both vehicles is the gas mileage of the Ridgeline. Also miss the 32 gallon tank on the RAM. :smile: Tom

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I for one due miss being able to lock the transmission in a lower gear, or downshift when towing. I also came from a RAM with the HEMI. Only difference I have noticed pulling the same 7x12 enclosed trailer with both vehicles is the gas mileage of the Ridgeline. Also miss the 32 gallon tank on the RAM. :smile: Tom
I wish the RL had a 32 gallon tank! 800-900 miles per tank! Thats my second most fantasized fantasy!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have read of decent towing mileage with the RL G2, which would be a nice change. We have a G1, but the ratios in the 5 speed and the D3 lockout are not ideal, but my wife doesn't tow often. Glad to hear the new transmission does its job without fanfare.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Towed a trailer with what I estimate was about 2200 lbs for about 800 miles a week ago. Averaged about 16 mpg going pretty much the speed limit. Not great, but I have had worse with both a F150 I borrowed and a Ford Econoline Van.

The truck pulled the trailer without issue and had no problems stopping it. Didn't do any mountain roads though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I live in the mountains so my towing is done there. Tow my Hurricane Deck boat with no problems ( about 3500 lbs. total ) I use D-4 on a limited basis.
I can feel the boat back there where on my F-150 EcoBoost I could not tell I had a load back there, but it actually feels fine to feel the boat is back there in the RL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tow a 3 XC motorcycle carrying trailer. My former G2 RTL came with a trailer hitch but no pig tail hook-up ($400 to $500 dealer add-on). Also there was no oil or ATF cooler available for the RTL--Honda did not make them and none were available from aftermarkets. If you tow through mountains or hot climates the oil and ATF coolers keep you from burning up your tranny. You have to buy the AWD G2 version to get the coolers..big bucks. Also check your suspension with the trailer on the hitch. The G2 ground clearance is lacking. Also, the truck bed was not deep enough to stack stuff up.

Bottom Line: the G2 Ridgeline is more of in-city type SUV not good for off-road. If you tow, buy a truck that can do the job...for me, the G2 Ridgeline was not a truck I could use in areas where only real trucks go!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I tow a 3 XC motorcycle carrying trailer. My former G2 RTL came with a trailer hitch but no pig tail hook-up ($400 to $500 dealer add-on). Also there was no oil or ATF cooler available for the RTL--Honda did not make them and none were available from aftermarkets. If you tow through mountains or hot climates the oil and ATF coolers keep you from burning up your tranny. You have to buy the AWD G2 version to get the coolers..big bucks. Also check your suspension with the trailer on the hitch. The G2 ground clearance is lacking. Also, the truck bed was not deep enough to stack stuff up.

Bottom Line: the G2 Ridgeline is more of in-city type SUV not good for off-road. If you tow, buy a truck that can do the job...for me, the G2 Ridgeline was not a truck I could use in areas where only real trucks go!!
You say real truck but you bought a FWD truck? Lol you haven?t haven?t a clue.....

I have towed over 6000lbs by mistake when moving, up windy mountain roads with no issues. I have 6 acres and use my truck for hauling wood and hay. The shallow bed isn?t an issue for anything I have encountered, ever!

·
Registered
45 Posts

I'm hard pressed to come up with a crew cab 2wd truck set up for towing as you described that is priced comparable to the FWD RL, though I mostly researched 4wd/AWD. I ended up with an RTL-T.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.:wink:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
:|

added for minimum characters.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There goes this post, the old "the G2 isn't a real truck". But....... it does truck stuff!!!!!!! , just don't go off road where ground clearance is needed ...... we know that. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence here that the G2 will tow and the AWD with the high performance cooler is advisable.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Also a former RAM 1500 owner x2 (2014 Hemi AND 2015 EcoDiesel + a 2010 G1 prior). All towed this same 4,500 lb boat and trailer below. No issues with any of the 4 trucks. The low mpg towing was the G1 at around 13 mpg. High was the EcoD of course at 19.9 mpg but the G2 is a close second with 17.0 mpg. All towed the same route as well.

The G2 is very underrated at doing truck stuff...including handling a heavy load in the bed and heavy tongue weight. I'm a very satisfied owner with the way the G2 handles towing duties. I never have had to use D4 by the way. Trailer just has surge brakes so no help from a brake controller. Additional load info: This boat/trailer made my RAM 1500 squat 1.25 inches. The G2 squat was 1.5 inches. Negligible difference. I had approx 250 lbs in the bed when I measured the squat as well. This is one of the most impressive things to me so far.

Towing smaller loads like my 2014 Sea Doo (about 1,100 lbs with the trailer) mpg is only effected by about 2 mpg vs empty. Got between 22-23 mpg towing this lighter load on a road trip.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I trailered the S2000 on a 2000 mile round trip to the Dragon, and on countless twisting surrounding roads.

Was able to hit 106 mph with the truck and trailer, and it was stable as a rock. I was driving the truck and trailer faster than the guys driving the S2000s next to me. I kept up with the convoy through hellbender and all, right to the end.

There is no way any truck-truck can do what I did with this truck that entire week. It is a towing demon (4000 lbs tow load)

Engine braking in D4 down the mountain was all I needed 90% of the time, the other 10% was done with L. No brakes needed.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts