Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought the TOMTOM Go 700? If so whats your take on it? Well worth the money? Good Features?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'm not sure how similar the TomTomGo is to the Palm-device version, but my husband uses the TomTom software on his Treo. He's pretty happy with it, and uses it all the time. I have to admit, though, that I miss the Acura navigation we had on our ex-MDX. (With the prices of after market navigation systems coming down so quickly, we didn't feel we could justify buying our Ridgeline with nav.) I just feel the maps were easier to read on the MDX's system than with the TomTom system -- and it's not merely a function of screen size. The voice option is nice, something our old MDX's system didn't offer.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
I love mine follow the above thread and you'll see

·
Registered
37 Posts
Garmin StreetPilot 2720

I bought the Garmin StreetPilot 2720. I used it on the trip to Tunica, MS and was very satisfied with the performance. Being able to find a particular restaurant on the trip was nice. I looked at the TomTom, but when I found the StreetPilot on sale on Amazon, I decided to go with it and I am glad I did.:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
arteegee said:
Little gaming expedition?;)

Yea, we've been going to Tunica since Biloxi was destroyed. My wife loves the slots so we have to go on a "gaming expedition" every couple months.:D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Saw this Garmin on display at West Marine,with touch screen and voice comand.looked nice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here's a photo of the 2720 with the bean bag mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Costco.com has the Tom Tom 700 on sale until 12/5 for $699 +s/h (approx $17) plus there's a $50 mail in rebate. All said and done $666, don't know if that a good sign or not. :eek:

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Here's a photo of the 2720 with the bean bag mount.
Jim, I originally used the "temporary" adhesive mounting pads on both our vehicles when I got the 2610. It's still on the Windstar. I removed the one from the Ranger when I traded it in and it came off easily and left no trace. Just a thought if you wanted something a little more stationary. Since I plan on driving the RL for a long time, I did use a "permanent" mounting pad on it.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Do you have to mount these types of units on top of the dash?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Yes, unless you install a remote antennae. They can't get a GPS signal through metal.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Webwader said:
Yes, unless you install a remote antennae. They can't get a GPS signal through metal.
So if we get the aftermarket indash Navi with the built in DVD/Stereo unit installed, they will have to add an exterior antennae. Hummm. I may rethink my original plan to upgrade the head unit. Thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The exterior antenna for a TomTom (and presumably other GPS units) is quite small, roughly a square inch in area and maybe 1/3 inch thick. It doesn't have to go outside the cab, it can be mounted on the dash where it has a clear view of the sky through the windshield.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I use my tomtom 700 without an external antenna and I have no problems with satalite coverage. Here's how mine is mounted using a Pro Clip.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
What do you guys think of the map quality? Reading the reviews, you'd think they were junk compared to the NAVTEQ maps. I don't know what to believe.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Webwader said:
Jim, I originally used the "temporary" adhesive mounting pads on both our vehicles when I got the 2610. It's still on the Windstar. I removed the one from the Ranger when I traded it in and it came off easily and left no trace. Just a thought if you wanted something a little more stationary. Since I plan on driving the RL for a long time, I did use a "permanent" mounting pad on it.
I used the "permanent" mount for my 2610 on my previous veehickle. Came off without a trace when I traded it, so not permanent at all really. It stayed stuck for nearly 3 years in baking heat and brass-monkeys cold, so no complaints whatsoever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Webwader said:
Thanks for the information on the temporary/permanent adhesive. I was wondering how hard it would be to remove. I did not want to damage the dash.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
mayfielh said:
Costco.com has the Tom Tom 700 on sale until 12/5 for $699 +s/h (approx $17) plus there's a $50 mail in rebate. All said and done $666, don't know if that a good sign or not. :eek:
"Rebate not good at Sam's or Costco.":(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts