Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read most of the listing on Tonneau covers and have narrowed it down to the Lomax and Bak GX4 for my new 2020 RL. How far does the trunk open with each of these? Is one more heavy duty and better sealed than the other? Rough pricing I am seeing is $769 for Lomax and $839 for MX4. Any help input would be appreciated so I can make a final decision. Most of the online stores are pushing the MX4 saying longer warranty, fit, and more rugged construction makes it better than Lomax. Please respond. Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought the Etang and fits great on sale for $370 you have to negotiate got it at Real truck easy install

·
Super Moderator
1,728 Posts
I have had the Extang Trifecta on my 17' RL for over 4 years. Still looking good. Leaks a bit in the back two corners due to the bed indentations but not enough to worry about. I use some of this to protect it as necessary. Keeps it looking good IMO.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Black edition
63 Posts
I have read most of the listing on Tonneau covers and have narrowed it down to the Lomax and Bak GX4 for my new 2020 RL. How far does the trunk open with each of these? Is one more heavy duty and better sealed than the other? Rough pricing I am seeing is $769 for Lomax and $839 for MX4. Any help input would be appreciated so I can make a final decision. Most of the online stores are pushing the MX4 saying longer warranty, fit, and more rugged construction makes it better than Lomax. Please respond. Thank you
I have the Bakflip MX4, maybe you meant that, so I will comment on that one. Disclaimer: I did get it used for half the price! The install was pretty straight forward at 45mins of laboring without the instructions. The quality is really Ridgid with a texture to the top part with aluminum support bars and rails along with pretty thick rubber seals and drains tubes that work well at keeping the rain out.

Thoughts

Perfect timing because I just help someone move this past weekend!

Pros

Easy install..seriously 45 mins no instructions and plenty of videos/tutorials

Solid with a since clunk then closing

The Trifold design of the cover can be opened on both sides using a cable system. There is no unlatching clamps/ Unscrewing when folding.

Each section having its own cable release.

The tailgate with still swing both ways and the in-bed truck will still open with the cover just not all the way up

*Medium Homedepot boxes will fit under the cover

Can support up to 400 lb ( haven't tested) of distributed weight on the cover closed

The last portion of the cover can also fold up( has locking supports too) revealing about 95% of the bed! ( blocks the rear window)

Cons

There is a small space that does not fold up in the back that was the difference between moving a dresser with the tailgate open vs closed.

The all the rubber feet to dampen when the cover is open to the last fold came loose ( double-sided tape fixed )

The cover is lower profile but at the cost of the support, bar protruding under so. *Medium boxed so fit under the cover if they are the less than or the width between the bars

Because of the rail system, you have to finagle the clamps since there is no fixed point. And to close it you need to just about slam it or drop it closed ( not delicate but satisfying )

Since I typically go from the driverside ( left ) to tailgate the under opened side ( the right corner at tailgate) sometimes doesn't click into place when closed. Doesn't happen all the time but youll see a gap so ya need to press it down

It is on the expensive side. The original buyer bought it a little over 1k new and it was in decent shape when I bought it for 500$( originally marked at 550$). For 800$ ish dollars is expensive to be worth it is you need the versatility

overall a solid 8.5 out of 10

95% of the convenience of a roll-up cover with the security of the hardcover

would recommend if you can

Hope this helps

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts