Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
What do you hate about your Tonneau Cover?

What do you love about your Tonneau Cover?

Recommendations?

Stay away?

Registered
This should give you a good start:

Bill

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
This should give you a good start:

Bill
Thanks 3 years of post to go through.

Super Moderator
The short version is:
  • the Honda OEM is NOT the preferred cover.
  • the Bakflip MX4 is a good tri-fold hard cover
  • the Lomax hard tonneau cover is preferred by our resident tonneau expert, @phineas. You could start a conversation with him, when you narrow the choices down a little.
  • the Truxedo Lo Pro is a soft roll up cover
  • the Diamondback SE is a nice solid cover if you want to secure things to the top of the cover
  • the Retrax is a cannister cover that rolls up automatically
I did not mention all of the favorite tonneau covers on this forum, but now you have a list to start from.

Registered
The short version is:
  • the Honda OEM is NOT the preferred cover.
  • the Bakflip MX4 is a good tri-fold hard cover
  • the Lomax hard tonneau cover is preferred by our resident tonneau expert, @phineas. You could start a conversation with him, when you narrow the choices down a little.
  • the Truxedo Lo Pro is a soft roll up cover
  • the Diamondback SE is a nice solid cover if you want to secure things to the top of the cover
  • the Retrax is a cannister cover that rolls up automatically
I did not mention all of the favorite tonneau covers on this forum, but now you have a list to start from.
A favorite not listed above is the https://www.etrailer.com/Tonneau-Covers/Honda/Ridgeline/2019/EX94590.html?VehicleID=20191624122

I am not sure about the other listed favorites, but this tonneau, when open, does not interfere with fully opening the trunk.

Bill

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
At the moment I am not overly concerned with water entry, but I guess less would be better.

Speaking of water I see some rails have drain tubes which are pictured poking through the bed wall.
How are these drain tubes dealt with on a Ridgeline?

Registered
At the moment I am not overly concerned with water entry, but I guess less would be better.

Speaking of water I see some rails have drain tubes which are pictured poking through the bed wall.
How are these drain tubes dealt with on a Ridgeline?
Well unless I am mistaken, the only tonneau NOT to have rails is the OEM. The videos I have seen just show the bed cleats being replaced with new cleats that have extra parts to clamp the tonneau onto. I have limited experience (and truthfully haven鈥檛 installed the OEM tonneau I just picked up today) but the OEM tonneau pretty much IS an Extang Solidfold 2.0 WITHOUT rails. 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔

https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/ridgeline/2019/tonneaucover.pdf

This is all based off of what I can tell online so please anybody correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

Super Moderator
It sounds like you're close to making a decision, and that you're focused on a soft top. Probably the two best models of soft tops were mentioned in the thread: the Truxedo Lo Pro and the Extang Trifecta.

If you live anywhere where there's snow, I would recommend a hardtop. It's not that soft tops are unable to deal with snow. They just aren't rated to handle that big snowstorm that comes along every few years.

If you are still on the fence, what I usually suggest to people is that they think about and post their three top priorities or needs of a tonneau cover. I'm talking about things like security, water protection, ease of removal, doesn't impinge the trunk at all/low-profile rails, flexibility in accessing the truck bed, ease of installation, and good looks. And then also I ask people to tell me what type of tonneau they like: hard trifold, soft trifold, tilt-up trifold, one-piece soft top, retractable, rollup, one-piece hardtop, and so on. If you or anyone articulates that information, I'd be glad to make recommendations.

Registered
Well unless I am mistaken, the only tonneau NOT to have rails is the OEM. The videos I have seen just show the bed cleats being replaced with new cleats that have extra parts to clamp the tonneau onto. I have limited experience (and truthfully haven鈥檛 installed the OEM tonneau I just picked up today) but the OEM tonneau pretty much IS an Extang Solidfold 2.0 WITHOUT rails. 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔

This is all based off of what I can tell online so please anybody correct me if my assumptions are wrong.
Sorry I don't have that info, but would like to know that myself.

Registered
Sorry I don't have that info, but would like to know that myself.
I can鈥檛 say for ANY other brand, but I installed the OEM Tonneau and it didn鈥檛 have any rails. Just the brackets you can see in the link I sent. Honda also has modified locking handles that I thought might be outdated, but they definitely helped to keep the tonneau down in the back end when lifting on it. The modified latches really didn鈥檛 lift at all (maybe 1/4鈥), but the original ones that came installed on the tonneau would lift about an inch in the back.
I think the modified handles are like $25 but I got them included with my tailgate handle and lock for under $100.

Super Moderator

Yes it鈥檚 the only hard tonneau available for the RL that lacks rails. Honda released an upgrade kit for the OEM cover that improves latching. I estimate that the Extang Solid Fold 2 and Honda OEM tonneau are about 90% identical. Differences include the rails, the latches and the way the perimeter seals work. Of the two, the Extang product is the better choice. Both have trouble with valleys forming followed by leaking at the seams right through the plastic panels. Especially at the hinges. There is some evidencce that Honda contracted with Extang sister company, Advantage Covers, to provide the Honda tonneau. But clearly, Advantage is working out Extang鈥檚 supply chain.

Registered
@phineas, is the update kit you are referring to 08Z07-T6Z-100B? It says that the tailgate lock and tailgate lock handle which are sold separately are required.

Registered
@phineas, is the update kit you are referring to 08Z07-T6Z-100B? It says that the tailgate lock and tailgate lock handle which are sold separately are required.
That is the part number for the additional latch handles that come with the lock kit from College Hills Honda.

I was curious if I even needed them because the OEM tonneau is on revision 3 (100,101,now 102). The ones that came on 102 slide easily in any orientation and could be arguably easier to latch. The 100B part number you mention locks in place when rotated down to latch the cover, so if you lock it at the wrong place, you may have to try again.

They do seem to work better for holding the tonneau down better in the back.

Yes it鈥檚 the only hard tonneau available for the RL that lacks rails. Honda released an upgrade kit for the OEM cover that improves latching. I estimate that the Extang Solid Fold 2 and Honda OEM tonneau are about 90% identical. Differences include the rails, the latches and the way the perimeter seals work. Of the two, the Extang product is the better choice. Both have trouble with valleys forming followed by leaking at the seams right through the plastic panels. Especially at the hinges. There is some evidencce that Honda contracted with Extang sister company, Advantage Covers, to provide the Honda tonneau. But clearly, Advantage is working out Extang鈥檚 supply chain.
Here's to hoping they have improved it for the 3rd release (102)! However, there is a note in the Owners booklet for the tonneau that it is NOT waterproof. 馃槀(I will try to add a picture to this post from my phone.) I really liked the concept of not having side rails. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔 In truth I'll probably be regretting it later and be back to read all of your posts again about which ones are actually better and spend more than the $714 I already spent (picked up from College Hills Honda dealership because I get over that way occasionally so no shipping).

Registered
That is the part number for the additional latch handles that come with the lock kit from College Hills Honda.

I was curious if I even needed them because the OEM tonneau is on revision 3 (100,101,now 102). The ones that came on 102 slide easily in any orientation and could be arguably easier to latch. The 100B part number you mention locks in place when rotated down to latch the cover, so if you lock it at the wrong place, you may have to try again.

Here's to hoping they have improved it for the 3rd release (102)! However, there is a note in the Owners booklet for the tonneau that it is NOT waterproof. 馃槀(I will try to add a picture to this post from my phone.) I really liked the concept of not having side rails. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔 In truth I'll probably be regretting it later and be back to read all of your posts again about which ones are actually better and spend more than the $714 I already spent (picked up from College Hills Honda dealership because I get over that way occasionally so no shipping).
I've had the OEM for 3 years now. Mine has leaked very little. The only issue I've had is the denting from the rubber blocks when in the folded position. I simply insert matt scraps under the blocks when folding. I can feel the dents there but can't see them. I see on newer versions of the Tonneau, the blocks are bigger now. That's good and bad because it helps solve the denting problem but decreases space under the tonneau. I use tote for recycleables that barely fits between the blocks. If I had the updated version I'd have to get something else. For my next pick up I'll probably get a simple roll up. As for the updated part to latch tighter, I've never thought that the last panel was loose and since the bed can't be locked never thought about security. I've used the trunk a handful of times because it's a PITA to access with the tonneau folded. If we take the truck grocery shopping the bride complains. In fact, I found a decomposing green pepper down there, tough to see down there in the dark with the tonneau closed. The trunk is great for storing a backpack with straps and safety items.

Super Moderator
@14v6 I think your question has already been answered by the fella who bought one. I can't really fathom why they sell this latch-improving kit with the tailgate lock, unless the thinking is that the new latch makes the bed more secure. I'm quite familiar with the original latches on the OEM Honda cover, and I can't imagine there being a problem with break-ins based on those latches. They aren't the weakest link; the tailgate lock is. What about all the people who bought Pop & Lock tailgate locks? What if you don't want a tailgate lock? It just seems like Honda is outsmarting themselves on the marketing.

I have an unpopular opinion about the trunk. For me it's a gimmick. Every time I try to use it, it's too small for whatever I'm trying to fit into it. If the bed is loaded you can't open it. They say that it is a little bigger on the G1. Maybe I would've liked it better there. Sometimes I think I would've just preferred a full-size spare. Don't get me wrong I like the idea, but in execution for the kinds of things I carry, it falls short on space frequently enough that it's just not very useful. If you were to measure this trunk by the number of suitcases it can hold, the way Consumer Reports used to measure them, the Mazda Miata would probably beat it.

Waiting for the long knives, arrows and bullets to arrive . . .

Super Moderator

Not everyone has the water problems with the Honda tonneau and the Solid Fold 2 that I've described. It's not a universal thing.

And hey, all tonneaus leak. That note about it not being waterproof has been there since the beginning, version 100. The thing that's frustrating to me is that for $100 more you can get one of the best tonneaus I've ever used. And it's occasionally on sale too. But in the scheme of things whether you get a Honda tonneau or Lomax, a truck is a truck is a truck. It's not that big a deal. Another option for you that's pretty low cost would have been the Rugged Liner, which is very similar in design to the Honda OEM tonneau/Solid Fold 2, but it's half the thickness, made of aluminum and shares the same rail that the Solid Fold 2 uses. This is the only rail that does not impinge the trunk at all. The latches aren't great on the Rugged Liner. Other than that, it's pretty first-rate gear.

I hate the rails too. In fact I railed against the rails. Ha ha. But the truth is that tonneau makers have been getting into legal battles for tonneaus flying off trucks for over a decade. That's why they all have rails now. That's why Honda came out with strengthened latches, in my opinion.

Registered
Not everyone has the water problems with the Honda tonneau and the Solid Fold 2 that I've described. It's not a universal thing.

And hey, all tonneaus leak. That note about it not being waterproof has been there since the beginning, version 100. The thing that's frustrating to me is that for $100 more you can get one of the best tonneaus I've ever used. And it's occasionally on sale too. But in the scheme of things whether you get a Honda tonneau or Lomax, a truck is a truck is a truck. It's not that big a deal. Another option for you that's pretty low cost would have been the Rugged Liner, which is very similar in design to the Honda OEM tonneau/Solid Fold 2, but it's half the thickness, made of aluminum and shares the same rail that the Solid Fold 2 uses. This is the only rail that does not impinge the trunk at all. The latches aren't great on the Rugged Liner. Other than that, it's pretty first-rate gear.

I hate the rails too. In fact I railed against the rails. Ha ha. But the truth is that tonneau makers have been getting into legal battles for tonneaus flying off trucks for over a decade. That's why they all have rails now. That's why Honda came out with strengthened latches, in my opinion.
Do you mind sharing why you say the lock is the weakest part? I get that it is simply stopping the handle from actuating the latch, but I assumed the weakest link would be the plastic pieces holding the linkages together. This would cause a "locked" and unable to open condition I would think if it were forced. The lock itself uses the same type of lock as the car door key.

Registered
Just some off hand observations, so far our Extang Trifecta Signature 2.0 tonneau has yet to show any tendency to leak, (not saying that it won't in the future), and on a trip one day up the Interstate I forgot to latch down the rear of the cover, the cover never lifted and I didn't discover it until we arrived at our destination. As stated in a previous thread, I do not believe that there is any lock on a tonneau that will thwart a determined thief where any lock is just going to keep any honest person honest.

Bill

1 - 20 of 24 Posts