Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,842 Posts
Do you mind sharing why you say the lock is the weakest part? I get that it is simply stopping the handle from actuating the latch, but I assumed the weakest link would be the plastic pieces holding the linkages together. This would cause a "locked" and unable to open condition I would think if it were forced. The lock itself uses the same type of lock as the car door key.
About what's the weakest link … probably whatever I feel like using my 3 foot prybar on. The lock isn't really a lock it's just a handle defeat. But you're probably right that it would be easier to jimmy the latches of many covers. Although in the Honda OEM's case and the Solid Fold 2, the latches are a lot better than some. It's rumored you can use a coat hanger to open a BAKFlip. There's a company called Fold-A-Cover that does not make a tonneau for the Ridgeline. But they have a video showing someone picking a BAKFlip with a coat hanger in under 30 seconds. The Lomax uses a similar, though slightly better design. I'd bet on the DiamondBack's latches in a contest. I'm not sure they could be jimmied quick enough; twin steel truss rods on each side if I remember correctly. It's like @wjfyfe says: anyone who is determined to get into just about any tonneau is going to get in. And the weakest link is going to vary from design to design. I still wonder whether you could pop open a Pop & Lock tailgate just by yanking up hard on the handle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
At the moment I am not overly concerned with water entry, but I guess less would be better.

Speaking of water I see some rails have drain tubes which are pictured poking through the bed wall.
How are these drain tubes dealt with on a Ridgeline?
I have a 2019 RTLE and I bought a tonoo pro 285$ tri fold took 45 min to put on love it easy to use and no water in the bed

·
Super Moderator
2,842 Posts
Speaking of water I see some rails have drain tubes which are pictured poking through the bed wall.
How are these drain tubes dealt with on a Ridgeline?
I missed this question. There is a non-invasive way. The tonneau makers expect you to drill two holes in the front of the bed in the floor under the rear window. Honda put 10 small drain holes in the crack between the bulkhead, or front wall, and the floor. So the trick is to make up drain tubes of successively smaller tubing, fitting each smaller tube inside the previous one until you can fit the tube into the nearest aHonda drain hole. This post may help:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did not have to drill any holes in my bed and yes there is a rail on each side of the bed and again you don’t have to drill hoes just remove the black tie downs hold the rail up and put the bolts and the tie down back on the holes match up just right . And I run may truck through the car wash and have never had a problem. This is my 3rd tonno pro cover I had one on each on my frontter pickup again with no problem I got the ton no pro because I did not want to spend lots of money on a cover. I have had it on my truck for 6 months and no problem

·
Registered
10 Posts
The short version is:
  • the Honda OEM is NOT the preferred cover.
  • the Bakflip MX4 is a good tri-fold hard cover
  • the Lomax hard tonneau cover is preferred by our resident tonneau expert, @phineas. You could start a conversation with him, when you narrow the choices down a little.
  • the Truxedo Lo Pro is a soft roll up cover
  • the Diamondback SE is a nice solid cover if you want to secure things to the top of the cover
  • the Retrax is a cannister cover that rolls up automatically
I did not mention all of the favorite tonneau covers on this forum, but now you have a list to start from.
What is the OEM cover , I had one installed at the dealer but don't know what kind it is?
Thanks,
Don

·
Super Moderator
2,842 Posts
What is the OEM cover , I had one installed at the dealer but don't know what kind it is?
Thanks,
Don
It uses mostly Extang parts. It is believed to be manufactured by Extang sister company, Advantage Covers. But there's no confirmation of that from any of the parties involved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ordered the hardtop one from the dealer that was made for the Ridgeline‘s. It is a tri fold. It is not water proof. However, I feel it is very secure combined with the locking tail gate. Opening the cover is work for me to get the latches off it’s doable but takes some effort.

·
Super Moderator
2,842 Posts
I did not have to drill any holes in my bed and yes there is a rail on each side of the bed and again you don’t have to drill hoes just remove the black tie downs hold the rail up and put the bolts and the tie down back on the holes match up just right . And I run may truck through the car wash and have never had a problem. This is my 3rd tonno pro cover I had one on each on my frontter pickup again with no problem I got the ton no pro because I did not want to spend lots of money on a cover. I have had it on my truck for 6 months and no problem
Certain covers — including the BAKFlips and UnderCover Ultra Flex — have built-in water-trapping channels under both side edges of the tonneau. These have to be drained. Many American pickups have knockout plugs low under the rear window that uncover holes for this purpose. The OEM cover, Solid Fold 2, Lomax, Rugged Liner. Tonno Pro (by your information) and most soft tops don't utilize this "rain gutter" feature. Generally speaking, it's the tonneaus that lay between the bed rails that need to use drains. The tonneaus that lay atop the bed rails generally do not need them. But there are exceptions to that rule of thumb.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts