Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,807 Posts
Do you mind sharing why you say the lock is the weakest part? I get that it is simply stopping the handle from actuating the latch, but I assumed the weakest link would be the plastic pieces holding the linkages together. This would cause a "locked" and unable to open condition I would think if it were forced. The lock itself uses the same type of lock as the car door key.
About what's the weakest link … probably whatever I feel like using my 3 foot prybar on. The lock isn't really a lock it's just a handle defeat. But you're probably right that it would be easier to jimmy the latches of many covers. Although in the Honda OEM's case and the Solid Fold 2, the latches are a lot better than some. It's rumored you can use a coat hanger to open a BAKFlip. There's a company called Fold-A-Cover that does not make a tonneau for the Ridgeline. But they have a video showing someone picking a BAKFlip with a coat hanger in under 30 seconds. The Lomax uses a similar, though slightly better design. I'd bet on the DiamondBack's latches in a contest. I'm not sure they could be jimmied quick enough; twin steel truss rods on each side if I remember correctly. It's like @wjfyfe says: anyone who is determined to get into just about any tonneau is going to get in. And the weakest link is going to vary from design to design. I still wonder whether you could pop open a Pop & Lock tailgate just by yanking up hard on the handle.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts