Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following my successful poll on the weather sealing in the in-bed trunk, I am considering the option of a tonneau cover for my soon to be acquired Ridge (yes, LadyRidge, it fit in my garage without the necessity of taking a sledge to the wall).

I am seeing complaints about water seepage from owners of the Honda tonneau cover. Even my salesman admitted that it was not very water tight. I see many of you trying out different covers from aftermarket suppliers. Any opinion as to which seems to keep the bed the dryest? Not planning on carrying furniture back there, but it would be nice to keep the groceries dry in a sudden downpour.

Yes, its awfully wet in South Florida these days.

Thanks in advance.

Craig.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Put the groceries in the trunk it will hold more than $275.00 worth with room to spare.

Sorry I can't help you with the cover but we had a post just the other day on one that looked pretty good. Check that out.

Tiger

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
To answer this definitively we would have to have several types installed and do some water tests. I can only comment on our experience thus far with the Retrax. It is very nearly water tight. We bolstered the seal with an RTV bead around the topside. Mere drops of water have made it past since.

That being said, most of the tests we've had are after the car wash. We are stuck in hot, dry weather. We won't know how it holds up to melting snow for a few months.

I don't think I would worry about groceries. The only place water has come in is right up next to the cab under the cannister for the rolled up cover. However, when we go on vacation we are going to pack our belongings in plastic tubs or put them into garbage bags just to make sure they remain dry.

We are very happy with the water tightness thus far and we love the flexibility of rolling it up or keeping the bed covered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ridgeline-Fla said:
Craig... let me know what you find out. I am in Orlando and was considering one but have not desided yet. JR
Certainly, it seems more options are coming available as this truck's popularity grows. I've read disappointing news on the Honda-made cover which was initially my first choice. Others look promising but interfere with the in-bed trunk. If we are patient, I am sure someone will resolve these issues.

Craig.

L

·
0 Posts
celler said:
(yes, LadyRidge, it fit in my garage without the necessity of taking a sledge to the wall).

Craig.
Craig, glad to hear the good news. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
From the looks of any tonneau cover, I believe they will all leak to some extent. The retrax can be made to miniumize leaks by adding a bead of seal around the bed and front against the cabin. The small amount of leak left can be very easily handled by the drains in the bed. There are some in the trunk ridge, 3, 4 decent size holes on each side. You will have to lift the trunk top to see them.

As far as getting the trunk lid to go all the way up with a tonneau cover, you might have to hang that one up too. It looks like it has to be that the lid will not go up all the way cause it is built to go almost all the way to the sides. Believe Honda will have to make the trung smaller, width wise, before they can design a cover to allow the lid to go all they way up.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Yes, the trunk lid is a bit restricted, but people are getting too discouraged by this. I cannot imagine what you need to put into the trunk that you cannot manage with the reduction in the opening. It's still a very big trunk with easy access. Sometimes we even open it with the tonneau cover closed. That's a much smaller opening, but it's still adequate for all that we've needed to get in and out of it most of the time.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
celler said:
Certainly, it seems more options are coming available as this truck's popularity grows. I've read disappointing news on the Honda-made cover which was initially my first choice. Others look promising but interfere with the in-bed trunk. If we are patient, I am sure someone will resolve these issues.

Craig.
The hard cover by honda is designed for the truck utitility wise as well as cosmetically. The half that flips over allows 95% trunk lid opening. It is virtually leak free in any conditions. Plus it really looks great on the truck. Plus it is lockable to the tailgate. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
We had a tonneau cover installed, yes we went with the one supplied by Honda. We have no complaints about it. We've been through snow, rain, ice....hey it's Canada....and very little leakage. Even when we take it through a high-pressure 'touchless' car wash, minimal water entered the bed at the top corders of the tailgate area. Considering what I've read, guess I'm the lucky one. Guess the key here is the installation of the cover. Again, I left that to the Honda technicians, and they did an excellent job over the few hours it took them. Changes to airflow areas are also required, so I'm glad I stuck with what Honda had to offer. The tonneau cover also comes with a locking mechanism, that locks the tailgate closed. Although not highly secure, it does the job. I tried to 'break in' to the bed, and gave up after 10 minutes.....good enough deterrant for most would-be thieves.

Canadabeef
Ottawa, Ontario Canada

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have Retrax and have very little water in the bad after a car wash or a storm. Less than a cup. So for me in SoCal that's watertight!!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Beef, can we get some better shots of the cover, flipped up , down , rails , and anything that was modded to install it. Just curious thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bikr:

I will try and take some more pics as suggested and post them here shortly. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have included a couple of photos of my Honda tonneau cover(sorry they are small-I am new to this). It has been great so far through a very wet Utah winter. Very little water intrusion. As for the trunk lid restriction, I really hadn't noticed until I read a few of the posts describing it. Really no big deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the Access Rollup Tonneau Cover very little water as long as you install correctly and add 2 beads of silicone along the back of the cabin.

89' accord
03' accord
06' ridge rt:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
As requested, here's some pics. This is the best I could do to show some of the tonneau cover mechanisms. Please excuse the dirt. I just came in from driving on the slushy and salty streets typical at this time of year.

For those of you wondering how sturdy this cover is, I found a buddy of mine laying down on the cover catching a few rays while we were in Florida. He is a personal trainer, 6' tall and weighs 240lbs. I was worried about the excess weight on the cover, but it held up just fine. It's very rigid and of good quality. Sure there are some trade-offs, but I'm happy with it. I know people with tonneau covers on different 1/2 tons. Many have complained of poor fits, rattles, major leaks and wind noise, to name a few. I've got no complaints but recommend a shock-assist for ease of opening/closing for any future designs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just picked up my new 06' and I made sure the OEM tonneau was part of the purchase. It took the dealership 2 days to install which resulted in me not receiving it when I paid for it. Of course the dealer should have postponed the closing and I was not happy when they told me afterwards that there was trouble installing it. I must say, I think it looks great but I have serious concerns about the quality. Three things bother me. First, Honda makes it clear (in tonneau owner’s manual only) that the tonneau is not designed to keep truck bed dry. I guess I must have been a bit naive to think it would keep things dry. I've never had a tonneau before so I have nothing to compare it too. Secondly, the fit at the tail gate seems a bit odd. When I shut the tail gate the tonneau gets jacked-up by the fact that the tailgate edge is about ½” higher than the tonneau’s resting position. I believe this will prove to be problematic as wear sets in. I’m checking with Honda to make sure it was installed right. Finally, the locking mechanism appears cheaply engineered to me. It works but once again I have no comparison. I believe the lock will also prove to be problematic as wear sets in. I hope I’m worrying about nothing. I still love the truck as well as having faith in Honda.

-CB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts