Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took 292K miles but finally had an expensive issue with my Ridgeline. It developed an oil leak that continued to get worse which turned out to be the oil pump seal.

If I could sell myself on a full size truck I would've bought one this weekend. I'm not a fan of G2 or I would've bought one while I was at the Honda dealership. The new Tacoma has issues I don't want to deal with & the GM twins aren't on my radar. My friend has a Canyon & I don't want one. I'm gong to keep driving my G1 & see what the Ranger brings to the table. Possible see what the new Jeep truck is like before I make a decision on my next truck.

Until then the Ridgeline was fixed and it's back on the road. Hopefully nothing expensive breaks soon.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. I did the 1st timing belt at 214K & I have zero plans of doing it again. I know it would've only been parts cost.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,513 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,662 Posts
As one driving a high mileage Gen 1, any idea what the oil seal is going to cost you? I'm in your camp because my RL has cost me very little except routine maintenance. Well if you want to count last weeks alternator, battery failure, it's been very easy on the wallet except for the routine items. Well, unlike you, I do the TB routine every 105,000 miles so I have 2 in now and looking toward my 3rd.

The other big thing is I expect to buy a new gen II when this one finally gets really expensive to drive. The reason. This has been the best vehicle I have drivin in my 3 million over the road miles. From everything I'm reading about the Gen II, it should end up with 300,000 miles with little extra cost, other than routine maintenance. This RL is my first foreign vehicle if you can call it that these days, but it's also been the best.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,751 Posts
That's the second oil pump seal this week...

Although I believe you might have doubled the mileage or even more

Weak oil leak/smell solved w/ PCV replacement & VTEC Solenoid Valve Assembly Leak
The VTEC solenoid assembly isn't the same thing as the oil pump. Working on the oil pump means timing belt removal (among other things). The solenoid assembly (its what the oil filter screws onto) seal can be easily replaced by removing one wire connection and then unbolting the assembly.

No. I did the 1st timing belt at 214K & I have zero plans of doing it again. I know it would've only been parts cost.
Your belt didn't get oil on it from the leak?

·
Administrator
19,019 Posts
I grew up when it was risky to keep a vehicle with 50,000 miles and almost foolish to keep one with 100,000 miles. The life expectancy of today’s vehicles continues to amaze me.

A co-worker of my brother’s has a ‘91 Accord with 400K miles. It’s all original. Water leaks into the trunk every time it rains, so rust might take it off the road before the powertrain does.

My records are 100K on a ‘99 Regal and 54K on a ‘10 Ridgeline. The rest have been between 3K and 36K.

I think 400K is the highest I’ve seen reported here on a Ridgeline, but have seen a photo on Facebook showing over 500K.

There are many testaments to the Ridglines’s reliability and owner satisfaction.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,513 Posts
The VTEC solenoid assembly isn't the same thing as the oil pump. Working on the oil pump means timing belt removal (among other things). The solenoid assembly (its what the oil filter screws onto) seal can be easily replaced by removing one wire connection and then unbolting the assembly.
Your right, I didn't realize it was the oil pump, for some reason I thought he said oil filter.

Still 2nd oil seal failure, all be it in a slightly different location, something else to keep an eye on.

This should be one changed with the timing belt, maybe not the first time, but the second time.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Your right, I didn't realize it was the oil pump, for some reason I thought he said oil filter.

Still 2nd oil seal failure, all be it in a slightly different location, something else to keep an eye on.

This should be one changed with the timing belt, maybe not the first time, but the second time.
I agree, change it on the 2nd scheduled timing belt change.

When I told the service guy I had an oil leak to diagnose the service guy imediatly said, "With your mileage it's probably the oil pump seal."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts