Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a recommendation for a tool box that will fit into the trunk of a G2 Ridgeline (2021 RTL-E)? I'm looking for something that nearly fills in the trunk from top to bottom, front to back (This seems to be roughly 16" x 16"). I don't want to fill it side to side, but I'd like something that I can place in the trunk and not waste space around it.

Just dumping tools among the dividers doesn't allow me to organize things so I can find what I need easily. A tool box also allows me to lift the contents out of the trunk if I need to.

I've been carrying mechanics tools (wrenches, screwdrivers, sockets, etc. of all sorts and sizes) in a pickup under a cap for 45 years or so. This is my first Ridgeline. It has a Honda stock tonneau cover. The tonneau cover is not waterproof, but the trunk seems to be reasonably safe from water so I can keep hand tools there. I keep most cordless and line-powered tools under the rear seat, and my carpentry/plumbing tools in covered plastic tubs in the bed. These, I can slide out if I have to.

I've seen a lot of posts for boxes that fit in the bed from side to side, but nothing for boxes for the trunk. So, has anyone found a tool box they like that would fit snugly (or close to it) in the trunk?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation for a tool box that will fit into the trunk of a G2 Ridgeline (2021 RTL-E)? I'm looking for something that nearly fills in the trunk from top to bottom, front to back (This seems to be roughly 16" x 16"). I don't want to fill it side to side, but I'd like something that I can place in the trunk and not waste space around it.

Just dumping tools among the dividers doesn't allow me to organize things so I can find what I need easily. A tool box also allows me to lift the contents out of the trunk if I need to.

I've been carrying mechanics tools (wrenches, screwdrivers, sockets, etc. of all sorts and sizes) in a pickup under a cap for 45 years or so. This is my first Ridgeline. It has a Honda stock tonneau cover. The tonneau cover is not waterproof, but the trunk seems to be reasonably safe from water so I can keep hand tools there. I keep most cordless and line-powered tools under the rear seat, and my carpentry/plumbing tools in covered plastic tubs in the bed. These, I can slide out if I have to.

I've seen a lot of posts for boxes that fit in the bed from side to side, but nothing for boxes for the trunk. So, has anyone found a tool box they like that would fit snugly (or close to it) in the trunk?

Thanks!
I use different tool bags / tool boxes depending on the circumstances. If the tools are going with me, they are no good in the truck, so I want carriers that I can pull easily and take where I need them at the job.

Perhaps I don't understand your question. The trunk is huge and accomodates a much bigger tool box than anyone could carry. If they slide around a little, I don't care - the trunk is well built and the sides are deep. It's never beeen a problem.

If you want a divider, could you just build one out of plywood?

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
353 Posts
I’m not sure about a tool box for you — but be aware there is a 300-pound weight limit in the trunk.

2021 Owners Manual - Page 370:

-The maximum allowable loading weight for the trunk is 300 lbs (136 kg).

-Do not exceed this weight limit, or you may damage the trunk.

Reactions: MaineMan

·
Registered
2022 Black Edition (black) 18Nov21
528 Posts
………If you want a divider, could you just build one out of plywood?
Agree. I ordered a set of dividers from the big “A”. Not impressed. I’m thinking about cutting a set out wood. I’m sure they’d be a better fit than these.

Gusto!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The box I used with my last truck (a Tacoma) is 12x12x24. It carried my tools OK, but I added some metric types of wrenches and sockets, torx screwdrivers and other items for Xmas. I can't close the toolbox now, so I figured this would be a good time to get a toolbox that's a more efficient fit (16x16x something).

I can just get my present toolbox off the ground, so I don't think it's over 100 pounds.

The good thing about my present toolbox is that it has a removable tray so my smaller, more frequently used tools are in the top tray and are separated in small sections in the tray. My longer and larger tools are in the bottom. Anything not in the toolbox right now sits in the leftover trunk space (my toolbelt, clamps, bag of Home Depot stuff, whatever I'm going to use the next day that I want handy, etc.). I can take the whole box out if I have to if I'm looking for something in the bottom of the box, which is why I'm avoiding dividers.

I could probably take some stuff out but I own two houses and three of my kids own houses, too, so I go from one house to the other doing whatever needs to be done. I told my sons and son-in-law they should consider themselves to be in a homeowner apprenticeship program because it won't be too long before I won't be able to work on my knees anymore. They're doing pretty well but in the meantime, I take most of my frequently-used tools everywhere 'cause you never know ....

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,099 Posts
I would have several canvas toolboxes. One for electrical, one for plumbing, one with power tools, one with wrenches, etc. Some shop towels and a pliers, a crescent wrench and a couple screwdrivers in each bag. Grab what you need and go.

·
Registered
2017 RTL
115 Posts
The trunk is pretty low. A big bag of tools could weigh a lot. This could put some strain on one's back when lifting the tools out. I'd agree with having multiple bags to cut the weight of the tool bag(s). Most common tools in one, less common in another, and overflow in yet another! We carry just very basic hand tools in one bag. It weighs an estimated 20 pounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts