Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loaded a half yard of wet top soil. I think the key is to have the guy at the supply yard dump the soil in slowly. The truck handled fine. The nose pointed up a bit but no problems with power. I put a cheap tarp in the bed first, shoveled out most of it and pulled the remainer out by pulling the tarp. It worked great and I did not even have to hose out the bed. The tarp is now rolled up and stored beside my spare tire.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Dunno about the pricing in your area, but around here, bagged top soil/compost is only a bit more than getting a "yard". Not only can you place the dirt easier and it's whole lot less sweat, but ya don't have to worry about that mid-afternoon shower making a complete mess out of yer home improvement. Sounds like a cop-out from hard work, but until I tried the bagged idea, I had no idea how much easier it was. Worth the extra $$$. Just a thought...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The topsoil was $8.50. I unloaded it right away. If I bought it by the bag the project would still be waiting to be done. And my wife would be tapping her toe next to the bags of tosoil. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
460 Posts
bliss53 said:
The topsoil was $8.50. I unloaded it right away. If I bought it by the bag the project would still be waiting to be done. And my wife would be tapping her toe next to the bags of tosoil. Thanks for the idea.
LOL....toe tapping wives no good :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
A tarp is a must have when hauling dirt or mulch. Actually I use a tarp for most things expect fro groceries. I can imagine the cleaning of dirt around trunk crack if you did not use a tarp.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know for the larger american PU trucks you can get a cranky thing that is a tarp on a cranked shaft. Load your dirt, get to destination, crank and the conveyor belt and wallah, pile is now on the ground.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Cranky thing == toe-tapping, frying-pan-waving wife? :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been carrying quite a few loads of bark the past few days. I pay for 1 1/2 yards - the yard guys put two 1 yd scoops in and let about 1/2 yd fall off the short bed. I stop and take a minute to even the load out (the high side walls prove their value here) and head home. Truck handles like a dream with every load I've put in it so far - no feeling of the front end elevating or "loose" steering. (I also found out yesterday that all of the young guys at the place I get compost and bark have been oogling my truck - I expect that Honda has an untapped market in the 20 - 30 year old group of "kids" who grew up with sporty little Accords).

Unloading through the side swing door is much faster than with my old standard truck and its much easier to shovel out since I can reach clear to the front of the bed with a shovel. I find that the bed hoses out very easily.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Norm:

I've noticed a lot of younger people gazing at my Ridgeline. The edgy styling certainly helps but I would agree the younger crowd have always loved Hondas.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I get the most vociferous reactions from the PMR Civic crowd. It's happened several times. They turn the sub down and roll down the blacked-out window to check it out.

L

·
0 Posts
shovelhd said:
I get the most vociferous reactions from the PMR Civic crowd. It's happened several times. They turn the sub down and roll down the blacked-out window to check it out.
Chris, you're a hoot. I am ROTFLMAO!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts