Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new G2. I have 3 Australian shepherds and they go with me everywhere. As much as I love them, they trashed my old Pilot. They are always dirty and hair everywhere. So I want to buy a topper for my Ridgeline and let them ride back there. I know I won't be able to let them ride when it's super hot out but when it's mildly hot, I was thinking as long as the truck is moving, there would be ventilation back there.

I looked at both the A.R.E and the Leer topper and it looks like the ones available for the Ridgeline are the 100XL and 100XR. The XR has a sliding window in the back where as the XL as a pop out window.

What do you guys this about this? Any comments or advice you can give me? Maybe I can use the outlet back there to retrofit a fan to circulate air? I'm just brainstorming here. Give me some ideas!

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Not an RL owner yet but am very interested and would also be hauling dogs in the bed under a canopy. Heat is definitely an issue, so the wider openings of the slider windows compared to the pop-outs will offer much more ventilation while moving or parked. Your White Diamond Pearl RL with a matching canopy is an excellent choice for heat management. The difference in solar heating between a light vs. dark color is significant.

A G2 section forum search for "A.R.E.", "Leer" or "canopy" should turn up several threads of ROCers giving opinions and experience with these two brands of toppers. I would prefer a canopy with a gap between it and the truck cab to allow outside air to enter the sliding front window of the canopy (optional on both A.R.E. and Leer). From pictures and ROCer posts, it appears that the A.R.E. will have a slightly larger gap between the front of the canopy and the "shroud" around the back window of the truck cab, which may mean more air flow into the canopy and bed when the truck is cruising. But I would need to compare firsthand both canopies installed on RLs to confirm that.

In the HUGE tonneau thread, you will find information and photos describing the challenges of trying to waterproof tonneaus or canopies against rain and snow because of four drainage channels and two small drain holes near the base of the truck's back window. Honda intended water from the roof of the cab to drain into the front of the bed and then downward to the outside. Sealing off these drains to keep the bed dry has been a frustrations for several ROCers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, it looks like your lucky day. I have a Leer cap,it's white, AND I happen to be working on my AC- which means I have my thermometers out. The rear bed is the coolest place in the truck when doing a parked static test. My truck is a G1 though, so I don't know if the design of the cap & window changed that much with respect to surface area of the glass.

Conditions:
Time: 2:30 P.M
Sunny 89 F
Truck facing into the sun.

Readings taken from 3 places: Front drivers side, rear passengers floor (rear seats up), and middle of truck bed.

Test 1

Cab windows closed (including rear slider).
Leer windows closed.

Drivers Seat 110 F
Rear Pass. 94 F
Rear Bed 93

Test 2

Cab windows Closed. Slider open. Leer open.

Drivers Seat 103 F
Rear Pass 95 F
Rear Bed 93 F

Test 3

All windows open

Drivers Seat 89
Rear Pass. 89
Rear Bed 90

I was a little puzzled until I realized just how small the Leer windows were. Looks large from the outside but the inside is all shade. While the cap is water tight, it's far from airtight. The design directs water away while still allowing air (particularly the rear window. The real key was direct sunlight. I'm sure given enough time the rear passenger seat would have reached equilibrium with the front but I think the bed will always be near ambient. I've had the truck for 10 years now. I have noticed the bed never got super hot like the cab but never realized just how much.

I did the checks with about a 20 - 30 minute interval between tests to let temps stabilize. Hope it helps. Congrats on the new truck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I just bought a new G2. I have 3 Australian shepherds and they go with me everywhere. As much as I love them, they trashed my old Pilot. They are always dirty and hair everywhere. So I want to buy a topper for my Ridgeline and let them ride back there. I know I won't be able to let them ride when it's super hot out but when it's mildly hot, I was thinking as long as the truck is moving, there would be ventilation back there.

I looked at both the A.R.E and the Leer topper and it looks like the ones available for the Ridgeline are the 100XL and 100XR. The XR has a sliding window in the back where as the XL as a pop out window.

What do you guys this about this? Any comments or advice you can give me? Maybe I can use the outlet back there to retrofit a fan to circulate air? I'm just brainstorming here. Give me some ideas!

Tom

Tom: Since you have dogs and the back can get pretty hot, I have a quick question. Do you have power outlets in your bed? If not, Hook one up and run some $20 fans (2 or three would be fine) aimed at the cages. Just moving the air around will end up cooling the space. I am sure you will be crafty in securing the cages, if transporting them in it, to the bed.
@Still_Ridgen: That is a great testing you performed. Well done! Really, well done!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you looked at a Softopper? I love mine. Retractable in 10 sec, removable in about 10 more; it comes with option for a mesh rear window and I think there are some custom options for mesh for the front window as well.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
A lot of people at dog shows use the 18 volt Ryobi portable fans. They'll supposedly run 4-8 hours depending on speed selected. They also have a 110 receptacle if you have an inverter. The fan has a hanger and the ones I have seen are hanging from the crate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts