Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I'd share some info I discovered that between the low and high marks on the ATF dip stick is about 1/4 quart. I checked and I was right in the middle of the marks but being the anal guy that I am I wanted it at the top. Guessing, I added about 1/4 quart and after a run I checked again and it was above the high mark as much as it was below it at the start. Usually the engine oil dipstick is calibrated to be 1 quart between marks so I was a little suprised the ATF was so much less.

I know there's alot less leeway for overfilling ATF compared to the engine oil so I decided I better it out. So here's how I both added and removed:

Added - used card stock paper and rolled into a small funnel and added ATF thru the dip stick tube.

Removed - used a turkey baster and shoved in 1/4" OD vinyl tube into the end of it. The tube was about a foot long and it took 4 sucks to get out 1/4 of quart out from the dip stick tube.

PS. to check the ATF level, warm up engine to normal driving temp and then shut off and check level within 60-90 seconds.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I may be wrong here but I was always under the impression that you checked the automatic trans fluid with the vehicle running. No?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
This is good information to know. I too was under the impression that you checked ATF level while the car was running. I guess I need to read the manual more carefully.

·
Registered
460 Posts
wow, me too..................yikes......................turkey baster eh?........lol, very resourceful vertrkr..........or should i say MCGYVER. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts