Registered
2006 RTL, 220,000 miles, automatic
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealership gave me a written recommendation:

"We recommend the following repairs:"
"Front axles (boots torn) $1,400 plus tax"
"Tie rod ends (boots torn) $340 plus tax"

They did say that it was not a big priority, just something to keep in mind. While driving, I've noticed no clicking, no other symptoms (yet).

I'm about to embark on a highway 1,100 mile round-trip. The boots/joints/axle will be ok till I return, right? When I get back what should I do? Replacing an axle myself is beyond my competence. Want to keep my truck tip-top & drive it forever (so don't want a quick and dirty repair). All thoughts appreciated! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,765 Posts
Dealership gave me a written recommendation:

"We recommend the following repairs:"
"Front axles (boots torn) $1,400 plus tax"
"Tie rod ends (boots torn) $340 plus tax"

They did say that it was not a big priority, just something to keep in mind. While driving, I've noticed no clicking, no other symptoms (yet).

I'm about to embark on a highway 1,100 mile round-trip. The boots/joints/axle will be ok till I return, right? When I get back what should I do? Replacing an axle myself is beyond my competence. Want to keep my truck tip-top & drive it forever (so don't want a quick and dirty repair). All thoughts appreciated! Thanks!
@Jack33 Do you think it will be less expensive if you have to get it replaced 550 miles into your 1,100 mile trip? In a place you are not familiar with and a repair business you have no relationship with.

Look at it this way, price a rental for the time and mileage and then deduct it from the "Stealership" price quote. If you have a relationship with them see if they have any discounts, they can apply, check website, check other Independent Import shops with good reviews. Having done boots (rebuilding CV's) on `79 Horizon and `80 Citation, having swapped axles on `96 Del Sol and `97 Civic, neither are easy jobs, yes a pro can do it faster why shop rates are $130 to $150 near me, they have the tools, skills and a lift.

Last Thought, negotiate, maybe they will do the Tie-Rod's for Parts since the labor is very similar.

YMMV

Reactions: Sparkland and 14v6

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Jack33 Do you think it will be less expensive if you have to get it replaced 550 miles into your 1,100 mile trip? In a place you are not familiar with and a repair business you have no relationship with.

Look at it this way, price a rental for the time and mileage and then deduct it from the "Stealership" price quote. If you have a relationship with them see if they have any discounts, they can apply, check website, check other Independent Import shops with good reviews. Having done boots (rebuilding CV's) on `79 Horizon and `80 Citation, having swapped axles on `96 Del Sol and `97 Civic, neither are easy jobs, yes a pro can do it faster why shop rates are $130 to $150 near me, they have the tools, skills and a lift.

Last Thought, negotiate, maybe they will do the Tie-Rod's for Parts since the labor is very similar.

YMMV
If the CV joints will or even may crap out on me during the journey, then you're absolutely right, it's better to get the work done locally. I had been under the impression that I could wait. But if that's wrong then yeah I need to do it here.

So the quote seems reasonable?

Thanks for the negotiation tip.

·
Super Moderator
7,765 Posts
If the CV joints will or even may crap out on me during the journey, then you're absolutely right, it's better to get the work done locally. I had been under the impression that I could wait. But if that's wrong then yeah I need to do it here.

So the quote seems reasonable?

Thanks for the negotiation tip.
Without seeing the boots, and the actual quote, it's hard to determine. New Axles and Ball Joints, Rebooting the existing, unless significant damage is labor intensive, but that means the price is variable.

I've had an axle break (outer CV) while in a left turn, I ended up on a sidewalk.

I've got two slinging grease, local stealership hasn't even noted it, I occasionally have them do oil change (non smog years) to prove low mileage.

YMMV

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go look at the boots. Unless there is significant grease slung around you are probably fine.
I took pics of the front and back of both front axle boots; I don't see any grease, but would appreciate all second opinions? Thanks!

front axle boot, driver side, front view
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Gear

front axle boot, driver side, rear view
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Gas Auto part

front axle boot, passenger side, front view
Automotive tire Gear Gas Machine Auto part

front axle boot, passenger side, rear view
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Car Suspension

·
Registered
297 Posts
Those look good.
And for that sort of price if they did need replacement I would just buy aftermarket axles and replace them myself.
If you can't replace them, have an independent shop replace them with after market axles.

Last time my Accord went to the dealer was for a recall. I hate anyone else working on my vehicles.
Well I get it back and the service advisor says to me, so we did the recall, and looked it over. The rear window wiper doesn't work, and we suggest that you get the engine and cabin air filters replaced, and the transmission oil.
So i explained to him that the filters were replaced by me less than a month ago, transmission oil changed at the same time. I walked out to my car, started it up and turned on the perfectly operating rear wiper. I opened the glove box and popped out the spotless cabin filter, walked back inside and showed the service advisor. He said omg its like brand new. I said yes and my rear wiper works fine. His face went red, and he apologized, and went out to the shop to talk to the mechanic.
I put the cabin filter back in, and drove off. My accord has not been to a shop since. I will do my own repairs and maintenance thank you very much.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before jumping to conclusions, what do the inboard boots look like?
Excellent question. I forgot about that. And... apparently, it does not look good?

front axle inboard boot, driver side, view one
Land vehicle Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Hood

front axle inboard boot, driver side, view two
Automotive tire Leg Thigh Asphalt Nail

front axle inboard boot, passenger side, view one
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

front axle inboard boot, passenger side, view two
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Bumper

I'm guessing now that I should not drive 1,100 miles on these? Thanks again for the tips.

I replaced the front axle years ago aftermarket. Should I get another aftermarket, or is it even possible to get an OEM axle for a 2006?

·
Super Moderator
7,765 Posts
If you previously replaced them with aftermarket and had a basically good experience I would probably do the same. As far as I know sourcing a new one should be possible, and several posts have been made over the years that make me think about the cost difference of OE vs AM, because some implied that the AM were significantly poorer quality. Having not replaced my boots or axles on my Ridgeline I can’t recommend either over the other. If they offered to do the work then they either have the parts or know the availability.

Having not seen the estimate, if they are just planning on “re-booting” all 4 CV’s, then what happens when they open it up and one of the CV Joints is damaged. How much more are you paying. I would with those pictures seriously consider all options before heading out for 1,100 miles.

Again, I could justify it when considering the alternatives for costs, but wear and tear, or fuel costs change my justification as does my financial situation, so should yours. But time can also be a consideration.

Reactions: Sparkland and WB77

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,839 Posts
The price is about right. The tie rod ends of $340 is not bad at all. Two years, I was charged just about that to change mine with AC Delco parts at a local shop.
The axle does need to be replaced and replacing it with aftermarket is not bad. I had my factory axles (front) replaced in 2017 with aftermarket ones ($450 for the job & parts). It is time for me to replace it again. Luckily I was able to get the Cardone front axles at a closeout deal (no core charge) a month ago. It is sitting in a box waiting for the perfect time to replace.

My recommendation is to do it yourself, if possible and rebuild the old ones, if possible.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you previously replaced them with aftermarket and had a basically good experience I would probably do the same. As far as I know sourcing a new one should be possible, and several posts have been made over the years that make me think about the cost difference of OE vs AM, because some implied that the AM were significantly poorer quality. Having not replaced my boots or axles on my Ridgeline I can’t recommend either over the other. If they offered to do the work then they either have the parts or know the availability.

Having not seen the estimate, if they are just planning on “re-booting” all 4 CV’s, then what happens when they open it up and one of the CV Joints is damaged. How much more are you paying. I would with those pictures seriously consider all options before heading out for 1,100 miles.
I replaced the axle once before, at the dealership, like 3 years ago. I think the axle was aftermarket, re-booted. The new boots were supposed to be A-1. But, well... maybe they weren't. If I can find the receipt, I think the axle had a warranty; but of course it's the service work that's the expense. I'd like to avoid this again 3 years from now!

Many thanks again to all the good folks in this forum. You probably saved me and my lady, at best, some hassle and at worst, accident/injury. We are now driving her vehicle for the 1,100 mile trip and I'll fix my truck upon return. Much appreciated!

The price is about right. The tie rod ends of $340 is not bad at all. Two years, I was charged just about that to change mine with AC Delco parts at a local shop.
The axle does need to be replaced and replacing it with aftermarket is not bad. I had my factory axles (front) replaced in 2017 with aftermarket ones ($450 for the job & parts). It is time for me to replace it again. Luckily I was able to get the Cardone front axles at a closeout deal (no core charge) a month ago. It is sitting in a box waiting for the perfect time to replace.

My recommendation is to do it yourself, if possible and rebuild the old ones, if possible.
Thanks for the tips. I can't do the work myself; I park in an open driveway and don't have a lift, much less the mechanical competence for the project.

Appreciate the feedback on the price. This axle is a replacement from about three years ago. I bought & installed from dealership. Axle was/is aftermarket; was supposed to have come with a great re-boot job, but, who knows. I only drive street-highway miles, no off-road and no speeding. Bah.

I've read that my 2006 year Ridgeline had/has a few issues with cv boots but that Honda sorted it out with the later years? Maybe this is the price I pay for driving the first year of the first generation?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,191 Posts
There have been PLENTY of reports of issues with aftermarket axles on the GenI Ridgeline. Vibration after install is the the typical complaint when there is a problem. Smufguy obviously had some luck with his aftermarkets (4-5years use?). When my 2014 comes due, I will do the work myself and most definitely use OEM. There is no way I would want to do the work twice and there are enough bad experiences reported in this forum to convince me that OEM is worth the extra $

1 - 15 of 15 Posts