Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in an accident today, my fault technically. Was waiting to pull out of a gas station, someone stopped and waved me out. It was clear to the right, there was a Ranger slowing and approaching the rear of the stopped vehicle. I checked my right again and started to pull out, When I looked back left the Ranger had decided to change lanes and go around the car that stopped to let me out. It was too late at that point. It was an older lady that hit me, my fault or not she wasn't paying attention and could have avoided it.

Anyway, I wonder what the odds are of this being totalled. The damage doesn't really look all that bad. I didn't spend much time inspecting it. The side curtain airbag went off and there was a little air bag that bust out of my seat bolster seam. drivers side door opened fine but the passenger side wouldn't open very far.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Most importantly my 2 and 4 year old girls in the back seat were unharmed. That side airbag scrapped the **** out of my arm though

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Ouch. I have a Georgia State Patrol (GSP) trooper for a golf buddy and here in Georgia if someone waves you out like that, they can find you partially liable for the accident.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I hate when people f up the roads for courtesy sake. It's stupid and cars rarely see around what's letting them out. In 2 million miles I've seen this happen 100 times. I've also see pedestrians get hit doing this. They should fine the lady that stopped in a travel lane to let you out. Nice lady but her courtesy doesn't override the rules of the road. Take coutesy out of this and there's no wreck. /rant

Yeah the bag adds about $1500 to the fix so there's a much bigger chance when it comes out. Luckily it worked though being a Takata and all. I would say they fix it.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Got in an accident today, my fault technically. Was waiting to pull out of a gas station, someone stopped and waved me out. It was clear to the right, there was a Ranger slowing and approaching the rear of the stopped vehicle. I checked my right again and started to pull out, When I looked back left the Ranger had decided to change lanes and go around the car that stopped to let me out. It was too late at that point. It was an older lady that hit me, my fault or not she wasn't paying attention and could have avoided it.

Anyway, I wonder what the odds are of this being totalled. The damage doesn't really look all that bad. I didn't spend much time inspecting it. The side curtain airbag went off and there was a little air bag that bust out of my seat bolster seam. drivers side door opened fine but the passenger side wouldn't open very far.

looking at the picture it is hard to say, you definitely need a new LF fender and bumper, and I would say that there is a sway in the front end, a good body shop would be able to repair the damage but it might be another story if the insurance company wants to pay for the repairs plus replacing air bags, it also depends on how many miles are on the truck. Glad to hear everyone is ok, that's the most important thing.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
Was the battery ruptured?

That looks very similar to the accident I had last May when a guy ran a stop sign and took out my right front. No air bags deployed but the bill still ran close to $7000. I had just over 90k miles on it at the time.

The shop did a great job on the repair. I've been very pleased overall.

Both front doors had to be forced past a certain point, especially the driver's door so I could get out.

Yes, those drivers being *courteous* are more problematic than good. I hate it when they do that unless you can clearly see around them. Traffic behind them has no idea what's going on and it just creates the potential for an accident. While well intentioned, they are causing more harm than good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's been my experience that it can be influenced the most by what happened "under" the body panels. And airbags add a LOT to the total repair bill.

Interesting side note, for me anyway: Does the seat have to be replaced when the bag goes off in it?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I hate when people f up the roads for courtesy sake. It's stupid and cars rarely see around what's letting them out. In 2 million miles I've seen this happen 100 times. I've also see pedestrians get hit doing this. They should fine the lady that stopped in a travel lane to let you out. Nice lady but her courtesy doesn't override the rules of the road. Take coutesy out of this and there's no wreck. /rant

Sorry, but in my 2 million plus miles of driving, I've seen and been involved in cases on 4 lane roads (with crosswalks) where one driver stops for the crosswalk and the other driving doesn't stop for the person in the crosswalk. I was close by on a fatal of one of these.

I was coming from the other direction and saw it happen. The driver who stopped for the person in the crosswalk was obeying the law. The person who struck the pedestrian was not.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
speedlever; Yes said:
Yes, then there are the people on bicycles, that signal back to you that it is OK to pass. Hmmm!

Then remember when it was common for truckers to signal to those behind that it was OK to pass?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
It's two airbags (side-curtain and seat bolster). Plus the parts that were torn open when they deployed (headliner and seat cover). Plus the body repairs.

For a 1.0 gen RL, this may push it over into "totaled".

The OP may (since the new RL is a year away) ask the insurance company if they can contribute to the repairs (beyond the insurance deductible) if they really want to keep the truck. Chipping-in a few thousand might keep it from being totalled.

Chip H.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Glad everyone is okay (for the most part). For some reason I thought you traded in your 08 some time ago for a new Sport, or was that another member? Sorry I haven't been on the forums much recently. Also I'm surprised no one else has asked yet, but what the heck is that in your driver's seat? A giant bird mascot?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ouch. I have a Georgia State Patrol (GSP) trooper for a golf buddy and here in Georgia if someone waves you out like that, they can find you partially liable for the accident.

Wow, wish it was that way around here. My wife was involved in an accident many years back where this guy was waving her on, honking at her to go, and she finally 'trusted' that this guy wouldn't be honking/waving so long if it wasn't clear and bam.... Someone came around that guy and smoked my wife, that car was sent into another car in oncoming traffic, and of course the other person wasn't wearing their seatbelt either. This all happened while she was pregnant with our first kiddo. She wasn't hurt, but I think the guy without his seatbelt got some injuries of some sort.

Around here cops didn't care that she was waved on, another person had even stopped to provide a witness statement and license plate of the person who tricked my wife into going. Either way though it was her fault, but my wife literately felt pressured to go based on this driver's actions.

Glad everyone was ok in your case.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was the battery ruptured?

That looks very similar to the accident I had last May when a guy ran a stop sign and took out my right front. No air bags deployed but the bill still ran close to $7000. I had just over 90k miles on it at the time.

The shop did a great job on the repair. I've been very pleased overall.

Both front doors had to be forced past a certain point, especially the driver's door so I could get out.

Yes, those drivers being *courteous* are more problematic than good. I hate it when they do that unless you can clearly see around them. Traffic behind them has no idea what's going on and it just creates the potential for an accident. While well intentioned, they are causing more harm than good.
Not sure if the battery was ruptured but it is pushed over along with the air box.

I hate it when people stop to wave you out as well. In this situation I did have a clear view in both directions. the car that hit me appeared to be slowing behind the car that stopped. In the time it took me to check my right again and go for it, they decided to dart around.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Sorry to here of that issue and dont want to come across as a know it all but NEVER trust the waver. I never wave and you shouldnt cause you COULD be at fault know a days if theirs a death (which I dont understand). When others wave I just sit their till they move, dont care how pissed off they get, wow it cost me a couple of seconds. Thats what I here in defensive driving from State Patrol that I go to every year. Glad to here every ones ok and hope you get that RL fixed.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts