Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1800+ miles on my RTL. I still am not used to how touchy the brakes are on the truck. In city driving I'm constantly over braking. My wife's 06 Pilot brakes are not this sensitive. My previous vehicle was a Jag S-type whose brakes were a bit on the soft side (needed more pedal travel).

Any of you guys think the same thing?

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
6,000 miles and no brake problems. Great stopping power.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I posted the same feelings about the "touchy" brakes right after I bought my truck this summer. It takes some time to get used to them, but every now and then I give a bit too much pedal pressure and they clamp down quicker than expected. I have been driving 35 years and this is the most sensitive brakes pedal I have experienced and I have driven everything from tiny sports cars to large trucks. However, the Ridegline does stop as well and maybe a bit better than any vehicle I have owned in this size range.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, the brakes are sensitive, but I think I like that. It's growing on me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It took me about a 1000 miles of driving before I really got used to the brakes. However, the Ridgeline has great stopping power. :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
hofffam said:
I have 1800+ miles on my RTL. I still am not used to how touchy the brakes are on the truck. In city driving I'm constantly over braking. My wife's 06 Pilot brakes are not this sensitive. My previous vehicle was a Jag S-type whose brakes were a bit on the soft side (needed more pedal travel).

Any of you guys think the same thing?
My wife's pilot does not have break assist, she is constantly telling me how much better thr ridgeline breaks over her pilot. I notice it does take more effort to acheiev the same breaking response as the the ridge. that is probably why you feel you are over breaking, just used to the pilot I Suppose.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I love the brakes on my RL!

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I have ov 6000 miles and I think that brakes are just fine. I have not noticed any issues with them or their stopping power.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My beater car that I comute to a demolition site with is a 94` Chevy Cavalier. It has good tires pads, drums, & rotors, but you have to mash on the brakes. After a few days in it, I get it the Ridge and jerk everyone to a stop at the sign at the end of my street. Big difference. You'll get use to it.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
What LR90 said (nice bike BTW). Our Pilot is a 2003 but the brakes require much higher effort. It did take some getting used to, as the brakes on my Ranger were totally shot before I traded it in. Be careful, because most vehicles on the road don't stop as well as your Ridgeline, and unfortunately, you-know-what can happen. :mad:

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
My RL has the most sensitive brakes of any vehicle I have ever owned including an Acura MDX and numerous TL's. It does take some getting used to and even with 11,000 miles on mine I still over brake once in a while.
I would sure rather have them a bit touchy than have the issues the Nissan Titan/Armada's are having with their brakes.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is no question about stopping power. The RL has very good stopping power and tire grip. But damn they are sensitive. I have to say I prefer a pedal that requires more force. I think it is interesting that Honday apparently chose to do this with their first truck. It isn't a vehicle that might normally get controls with a lighter touch (like a minivan). It IS a truck, sort of.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have always had small cars and I thought that the brakes on my Ridgeline were very sensative compared to the prior cars I have had. I really thought it was just the different car makers- you know a "Honda thing". I have had my Ridge for 1000 miles now but we took my wife's Pilot on a 600 mile trip across the state and I realized it was not a "Honda thing" - her Pilot needed much more pressure on the brakes to get it to stop. It was so noticable that I was considering getting her brakes looked at. She stated that it was normal for her Pilot and everyone that has given my Ridge a try has said that the brakes are very sensative.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Going out on a limb here, I'm going to assume that most if not all pilots do not have break assist like the Ridgeline.

Remeber the ridge has other cababilities other than road driving...5000 pounds towing, medium duty off roading and additional vehicle weight.

While under most driving condtion you may think the breaks are sensative be glad you have the breaks when you tow. Does the ridgeline have smart Breaks (they anticipate your need for breaking power?) say when you "slam the Break peddle? it actually provided more assist then then at other times?I thought I read something on this in a tread on this forum?

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Maybe some of the perceived touchiness is caused by the fact that the Ridgeline has disc brakes on all four wheels, unlike many vehicles which have discs on the front and drums on the rear.

·
Registered
460 Posts
took me a little while to get used to the brakes as well.............but i think they are the greatest now..........i barely have to give effort to get the stopping power i need.......i think that is the point of the brake assist and i think it is great............excellent job on this aspect of the rl for sure.;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I noticed how sensitive the brakes were when I test drove an RL at the dealer. When I bought mine, it was just as sensitive. But more than that ... what about that touchy gas pedal? I wish it wasnt so sensitive. It could just be the high performance of the red RL always wanting to Go !

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
lowrider90 said:
Does the ridgeline have smart Breaks (they anticipate your need for breaking power?) say when you "slam the Break peddle? it actually provided more assist then then at other times?I thought I read something on this in a tread on this forum?

Yes, that's what they call Brake Assist. It only comes into play for panic stops. Research showed many drivers don't apply full braking power even in panic stops so Brake Assist was developed to sense a panic stop and then apply full power even if the driver does not. The Ridge also has electronic brake distribution (EBD).

Here's a quote from Honda's tech docs: "The Ridgeline is equipped with the pickup truck segment's most advanced braking system with four-wheel disc brakes and a four-channel Braking System designed for the heavy-duty cycles imposed by towing and heavy payloads. The brake system hardware is tuned for quick response, low effort, and short pedal travel. For optimum performance with widely varying loads, the Ridgeline features an Electronic Brake Distribution system (EBD). Brake Assist is used to assist with brake function during accident avoidance maneuvers. At the rear, a select-low braking strategy is used to preserve directional stability in slippery driving. In the event one rear wheel verges on lock-up, triggering a pressure modulation at that wheel, brake pressure is also diminished at the adjoining wheel to preserve lateral stability.

Extra-large brake rotors and calipers provide the capacity necessary for short stopping distances and excellent fade resistance - even with a heavy load in tow - and the precise pedal feel expected of a Honda. The vented front rotors are 12.6 inches in diameter and 1.1 inches thick. Solid drum-in-disc rear rotors are 13.1-inches in diameter and 0.43-inch thick. The Ridgeline features dual-piston calipers on the front wheels for even more secure stopping. A drum-type parking brake mechanism is positioned within the inner portion of the rear rotor. The compact tandem-type vacuum booster consists of two 9-inch diameter booster chambers."

1 - 20 of 31 Posts