Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, going to be coming over for 10 days in May and was looking for the low down (truth) on good places to see and or places to avoid. Were staying on the west side (Maui) Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Hi all, going to be coming over for 10 days in May and was looking for the low down (truth) on good places to see and or places to avoid. Were staying on the west side (Maui) Thanks!
Stay away from my brother in law (Shouldn't be a problem unless you need an electrician? :eek::D

·
Registered
100 Posts
You will love Maui. If you want to see some great sights, drive the road to Hana. It's 52 miles of wilderness one way so plan it to take the entire day. When I went we stayed on the west side as well and it was a haul but we did it 2 times while we were there. There's just so much to see. If you are into hiking, hike the Pipiwai Trail above the Seven Sacred Pools to Waimoku Falls. It's a 400 foot tall waterfall and you can hike to the pool at the bottom. It's a 4 mile hike round trip. Or, instead of going up, you could go down while you are in Hana and try this http://www.mauicave.com/.

http://www.naturalbornhikers.com/PipiwaiTrail/PipiwaiTrail.htm
http://www.nps.gov/archive/hale/pages/tier_two/trails_kipahulu.htm

Of course you should do the requisite Luau, it's fun if you've never seen such a show.

Take a trip up to the top of Haleakala http://www.nps.gov/hale/. It's like a different planet up there. They also have sunrise bicycle rides that you can take where you basically coast all the way down the volcano after watching the sun rise from the top. It's VERY high and the air is very thin up there so you should be healthy if you plan to go up there.

Another fun thing to do is take an ATV backcountry tour. I can't recommend a particular one but look for one that is at least 3 hours as you will see a very diverse amount of terrain in that time.

Are you staying on Maui the entire time or do you plan on any island hopping? There is a canyon on Kauai that's often called the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific" it is surely a sight to see. It's named Waimea Canyon. Since you will be on the west end of the island, a boat cruise out to Lanai of Molokai and some snorkeling may be in order. You will see sea turtles and other amazing creatures.

For dining, I can't remember all the places we ate while we were there and they may have changed by now but one place that you should check out for sure is Mamma's Fish House http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff later. This is surely making me want to plan a trip out there though!

·
Registered
122 Posts
For something fun at night check out http://warrenandannabelles.com/ -- it's a comedy/magic show that was the 2nd best thing about our honeymoon on Maui! :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Where on the west side are you staying? Maybe I can fine-tune places for you to eat at and snorkel.

Resdesant has some great ideas, in fact they're all good. Coming from Chicago you'll probably be awake at three in the morning when you first get here, so you may want to plan to see the sunrise at Haleakala the first or second morning or go to Hana. If you go to Hana leave as early as you can as there is just so much to see. Take sandwiches etc with you as you'll find no fast food restaurants for fifty miles or so. The Waimoku Falls hike is a must. Better yet, if you can, add an extra day and spend the night in Hana at a bed and breakfast.

Do plan a Luau, Old Lahaina Luau is the best on the island http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/index_main.html I recommend making reservations before you leave Chicago because the Luau fills up fast.

pg-rider's Warren and Annabelles comedy/magic show is a great idea, super fun.

Kimos (lahaina), Hula grill, Leilanis (kana'apali) are quality places for lunch and dinner, Mamas is about an hour away from the west side but expect to pay about $250 for a foursome, don't waste your time on red meat, they specialize in fish and it is "da kine". It's expensive to eat out over here so if your staying in a condo make sure you stop at Costco and fill up on goodies first.

For snorkeling I'd pick Black rock, Honolua Bay, or the north side of Napili Bay.

If you want, I have extra beach chairs and boogie boards I can lend you, just let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Obviously you cant get better advice than from winkster and perhaps they will provide a sanity check on this. Its a little rambling and unorganized, but we like that side of the island also. Don’t know where you are staying be we like to stay at a place called the Papakea because it is very family friendly, has barbecues and is more moderately priced. The Papekea is outstanding if you go with other families. Most of the units are privately owned and it’s a timeshare but its good sized with nice big lawns, and we just always book it though AAA travel.

Perish the thought, but Costco and Walmart are close to Kahului airport so Costco is pretty much the first stop we make for food like sodas, Maui chips and something to barbecue. You do find local food and other items at both. Costco is likely to have nice fish, and they have others things like macadamia nuts and other souveniry stuff at good prices. We usually come back mid week to Costco because its hard to keep things cold that need to be on the first day of checking in.

There is always Hard Rock in Lahaina. The road to Hana is something everyone has to do at least once. I’ve driven it about 5 times once with a carsick child and now prefer to be a passenger, but it’s truly a special all day trip. Weve also driven all the way around and that’s fun if you were totally comfortable with driving the first half, and ask about road conditions first. It was closed for a bit, but I think its back open. It’s a dirt road, but looks completely different from the rest of the island. Most folks who drive all the way around seem to say that they are glad they did it- once. Sunrise on Halealakala is fun too. You need to get up in the middle of the night and plan for cold and possible fog.

Kapalua beach is also a very nice place. It was voted as one of Sunsets most beautiful beaches and has good snorkeling. It has a small parking lot, but does have showers which are a nice thing before heading home. We also like Black Rock and mile marker 14 for snorkeling. I’d stop in one of the dive shops and get one of their snorkeling maps. Id probably not go on the Sugarcane train unless you find yourself looking for something to do, but the Maui Tropical Plantation is interesting. The aquarium is nice but a little pricy. We make good use of all the coupons in the tourist mags like Maui Gold and a bunch of others.

Dan’s Green House off prison Street is worth stopping by. It’s a hole in the wall place, but they are known for their hand raised parrots and they often have pot belly pigs. As long as you are there, the old prison is right there. Most of the houses are quite modest and nice, but if you continue driving past the big banyon tree you will get into some more pricy neighborhoods. Interesting if you are out for a drive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't do much fine dining at all, and I'm not sure what kind of $ you're looking at for dinner, here's a few cheaper places that you can get decent food for a reasonable price...

West Side:
Honokowai Okazuya (get the teriyaki steak or the Kung Pao Chicken) $10-15 per, it's a little hole in the wall.

Mama's Ribs and Rotisserie (I get the pot roast, but they also have ribs and chicken, but I like the pot roast enough that I haven't strayed ;) ) $10-15 per Napili Plaza

South Side Kihei:
Stella Blues (I like them for breakfast and lunch, good food at a good price, not as big of a fan for their dinners as the prices are higher and the food IMO isn't as good) $8-15

East Ocean Chinese Restaurant (in the same shopping center as Denny's, I've only eaten there once, but it was very good and I have been looking forward to going back. They also have a lunch buffet on the weekend for $10)

Central Kahului:
Carrie and Eddie's Hideaway (if you like ribs, get the dinner buffet and pig out, the rest of the food is o.k. or worse, but the ribs are awesome!!!) $10-$22

Upcountry Makawao/Kula:
Komoda's bakery (get their glazed doughnuts and cream puffs, they are in Makawao)

Cafe 808 in Kula (great local style plate lunches $8-$10)

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I'm guessing this is for your honeymoon with your sweetie! It sounds wonderful, especially after the bitter winter you've had.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aloha!

Some thoughts from a local Haole.
If you decide to drive the road to Hana check local road conditions at 808-986-1200 (we have had some mud slides in April).
A state park along the road that is worth a stop is Waianapa. Short hike, lava formations, blow holes etc
Another beautiful stop is Keanae peninsula for some photos and snacks at the fruit stand. (avoid Huelo lookout fruit stand - the view isn't that great and they sell mostly smoothies made with Costco fruit)

Remember to take it easy - when you are on Maui you are on island time!

Andy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Aloha!

Some thoughts from a local Haole.
If you decide to drive the road to Hana check local road conditions at 808-986-1200 (we have had some mud slides in April).
A state park along the road that is worth a stop is Waianapa. Short hike, lava formations, blow holes etc
Another beautiful stop is Keanae peninsula for some photos and snacks at the fruit stand. (avoid Huelo lookout fruit stand - the view isn't that great and they sell mostly smoothies made with Costco fruit)

Remember to take it easy - when you are on Maui you are on island time!

Andy
Except when you are driving to Hana, if you have local traffic on your tail pull off when it's safe and there's enough room for them to pass. I HATE when I get stuck behind extremely slow driving tourists that seem to not care about holding up everyone because they don't have the courtesy to pull off :mad:

Also interesting about the Huelo lookout, I wasn't aware that their smoothies were made from Costco fruit and I know the owner, so next time that I see him, if I remember I'll give him a hard time about it! :D

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My wife and I and another couple are coming to hawaii this sept. I saw what you guys posted. We will be staying in Lahaina and would like to know the things to do around that area or not too far from there that are on the less expensive side. plus i hate touristy attraction traps. Think the day drip to Hana sounds nice. I also want to do some spear fishing. My old lady is concerned about sharks in the water. Any help from locals.
thanks
Andre

·
Registered
87 Posts
My wife and I and another couple are coming to hawaii this sept. I saw what you guys posted. We will be staying in Lahaina and would like to know the things to do around that area or not too far from there that are on the less expensive side. plus i hate touristy attraction traps. Think the day drip to Hana sounds nice. I also want to do some spear fishing. My old lady is concerned about sharks in the water. Any help from locals.
thanks
Andre
Hi, if it's your first time here you should check out a Luau for one thing. Maui Ocean Center is really cool but around $20 per person if I remember correctly? Snorkeling is free obviously once you buy or rent the snorkel and mask. Atlantis Submarine is kind of cool but probably $100 or more, I haven't been on it in over a decade. Sugar Cane Train would give you a good look at that side of the island and I believe they have a dinner cruise or a buffet afterwards or something to that extent. Hana is a great drive, but as I've mentioned in another post here, let the local traffic pass if you are (and you will be) taking a scenic drive. Driving to Haleakala for sunrise is cool although I hear that people go there for sunsets instead now. Lots to do on vacation but not much to do that is "cheap" unfortunately. Maui is a very expensive place to visit and live. Cheapest options would be snorkeling and hanging out on the beach. And make sure that you put on lotion because we've been having LOTS of 12 UV rating days lately.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you want to see less touristy areas look into Paia (first tour the town then drive down a bit and watch awesome surfing, windsurfing and kite surfing at Ho'okipa Beach Park) (eat at Mama's Fish House...kind of expensive), Makawao (see glass blowing and artsy type stuff and its FAR less crowded than Lahaina) (eat at Casanovas and buy one of their shirts...you'll see what I mean when you get there) and go ahead and drive up Haleakala to the the "crater" (it's not really a crater but it doesn't matter).

http://www.makawaotowncenter.com/
http://www.casanovamaui.com/
http://www.nps.gov/hale

Other areas of interest...Iao Valley State Park, can't miss Maui Ocean Center.

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/html/sites/iao_valley_state_park.html
http://www.mauioceancenter.com/

Swimming...Lahaina beaches are nice but try the Kamaole Beach Parks in Kihei. There's Kam 1, Kam 2 and Kam 3...I recommend Kam 3.

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/beaches/KamaolePark.htm

Golf...For the money you can't beat Waiehu. Its a public course that is MUCH cheaper than the resort courses and is absolutely beautiful.

http://www.co.maui.hi.us/facilities.aspx?search=1&txtSearchText=&CID=30&pagenum=1&sort=&asc=&RID=157&Page=detail

I never did it, but if I were you I would go ahead and take a sail and snorkle (or snuba) to Molokini. Just type Molokini Snorkle into yahoo or google and take your pick of the charters.

Oh...if you like biking, there are a number of companies that will bus you to the top of Haleakala and then you ride down. Minimal peddling, just coasting and braking. I never did that either. They look kinda geeky...lol.

The drive to Hana is pretty nice. Just remember two things, one - its not about getting there, its about the drive so stop and look around. Two - Have something planned in Hana. Swimming, lunch, horseback riding, museum...whatever. Its going to take a long time to get there and you are not going to want to turn around and head back. If you rent a Jeep you can just keep going straight and you'll come out in the Kula/Pukalani/Makawao area. Don't try it in a car.

You HAVE to do a Luau like Bryan said. I went to Old Lahaina and it was awesome.

http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/flash.html

Anyway...Just ask your hotel desk how to get to these places and then enjoy!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
thanks a bunch guys i will check this out and pass this on to the old lady as well so that way.............well you know.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Got home from Maui few days ago. It was nice and realaxing, but honestly it didnt have the WOW factor I was looking for. its too touristy. And natives dont like you, as I almost got into with a native tweaker. the snorkeling trips are not worth it, since its all the same place as 10 other boats and you have someones fins kicking your mask. Better snorkeling in front of the hotel in ka'anapali.
The drive to Hana.... Over rated but could be better for someone in the future, if you go the back way. I Wish I would have gone the back way and turn around at hana or the black beach and go back..
Thanks again for the info from the locals. Every RL I saw, I was looking for ROC sticker.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My wife and I spent out honeymoon in Maui.....one day we dediced to make the drive to Hana. We almost ended up divorced! She got carsick on that horrendously winding road on the way there and not having a Tom-tom in that day, I had no way of knowing how much further we had to go to get there.

Take the helicopter ride instead!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts