Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2013 RTL. I've towed many times with a utility trailer hauling a SXS and ATV with no problems (approx weight - 3K total).

I am purchasing an early 80's full size C-10 GM pickup - 2wd short bed. I will be borrowing a friends lightweight open car trailer with electric brakes. Has anyone had any experience towing something this heavy in a Ridgeline? The trip is going to be just under 500 miles.

Should I tow it with something else?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes brakes have been maintained including bleeding.

It will be all interstate. No steep hills.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If the truck itself is around 4K lb., you should be alright. Just be sure it is very securely attached to your trailer, and that the trailer itself is designed to carry it.
Standard towing precautions apply, but it sounds like you've towed before, so have fun & good luck.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,458 Posts
I do some pretty heavy towing with my Ridgeline in the summer time. Given you've towed a light trailer, there may be some things you've not had to worry about which can make a difference in your towing experience with the Ridgeline. Given that, take a look at a thread I wrote where I took the time to spell out my does and don'ts for towing heavy trailers with the Ridgeline: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1347210#post1347210

Good luck, be safe, and have fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and links!

I am going to order some EBC yellowstuff pads just for the added piece of mind.

I feel that if I take my time I won't have a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Thanks for the replies and links!

I am going to order some EBC yellowstuff pads just for the added piece of mind.

I feel that if I take my time I won't have a problem.
If you have electric brakes on the trailer and a good electric brake controller setup in your Ridgeline, you may not need the sticky EBC brake pads. --When you run into trouble, just use the brake controller to increase your trailer's braking force to get back on track.-- I would upgrade to EBC Yellowstuff only if you had to deal with surge brakes and had to traverse steep mountain sides and I would only upgrade the front disks (leave the rear disks alone). EBC Yellowstuff will decrease your stopping distance by 30% to 40% but it will also create a lot of brake dust and they will last about half as long as Honda pads (i.e. there are pros and cons to using sticky brake pads).

Also, the Yellowstuff pads need to be broken in a little. So if you get them, put some miles on your Ridgeline before you take your 500 mile towing trip.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Why not use the C-truck and tow the RL?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not use the C-truck and tow the RL?
The C-10 doesn't have any wiring or hitch. It is a new purchase.

I've done more figuring and the car trailer comes in around 1350 lbs. The GM is going to weigh around 4K.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Maxing it out. Takes some pics when you get it hooked up. Slow and easy does it.
The C-10 doesn't have any wiring or hitch. It is a new purchase.

I've done more figuring and the car trailer comes in around 1350 lbs. The GM is going to weigh around 4K.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
How about renting a dolly (two wheel) trailer to drop some weight. I wouldn't want to exceed the max. weight if I didn't have to. I'm not big on exceeding maximum capacities in towing.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
+1 on that idea Wrenrj1...

The only loss would be electric brakes if the car trailer has them, but you could get down 500 pounds lower (than the estimated 5300 pounds) or even more.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
What kind of terrain do you have to traverse on this strip? If it's fairly flat, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Keep in mind that Honda accounts for an additional 510 lb to 594 lb (depending on trim level) of cargo in the truck in addition to the 5,000 lb of trailer. Given you put all loose items from the trailer in your bed or cab and you empty the fuel tank of the C-10, you will have no issues at all (remember that the C-10's weight is calculated using a full set of fluids, that includes a full tank of gas).

Practically speaking, keeping all of this weight in the trailer is not a problem either. The concern comes when you have to descend steep hillsides with a load like this for the RL's brakes are just OK, not great. So if you have to traverse some steep hills and have good trailer brakes that you can control from within the cab you will have nothing to worry about. Plus, Honda did not follow the SAE J2807 standard for rating the RL's towing capacity; so you don't really know what the real limits are compared to other tow vehicles.

I've towed much more than you are looking to tow and I've done so over the past seven years with my RL. I've had absolutely no mechanical issues, except more frequent transmission fluid changes. The only thing you need to worry about with our RLs is descending very steep hillsides with a load like this; I've had concerns only because my trailer has surge brakes which I can't individually control during a steep descent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What kind of terrain do you have to traverse on this strip? If it's fairly flat, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Keep in mind that Honda accounts for an additional 510 lb to 594 lb (depending on trim level) of cargo in the truck in addition to the 5,000 lb of trailer. Given you put all loose items from the trailer in your bed or cab and you empty the fuel tank of the C-10, you will have no issues at all (remember that the C-10's weight is calculated using a full set of fluids, that includes a full tank of gas).

Practically speaking, keeping all of this weight in the trailer is not a problem either. The concern comes when you have to descend steep hillsides with a load like this for the RL's brakes are just OK, not great. So if you have to traverse some steep hills and have good trailer brakes that you can control from within the cab you will have nothing to worry about. Plus, Honda did not follow the SAE J2807 standard for rating the RL's towing capacity; so you don't really know what the real limits are compared to other tow vehicles.

I've towed much more than you are looking to tow and I've done so over the past seven years with my RL. I've had absolutely no mechanical issues, except more frequent transmission fluid changes. The only thing you need to worry about with our RLs is descending very steep hillsides with a load like this; I've had concerns only because my trailer has surge brakes which I can't individually control during a steep descent.
Thanks again for the info!

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
How about renting a dolly (two wheel) trailer to drop some weight...
If you want to cut weight by using a tow dolly, make certain it has brakes and that your C-10's transmission can handle this type of long disengaged rolling. If your C-10 has an automatic transmission, towing your rear-wheel drive truck in neutral for long distances will do damage to the transmission. --To overcome this, you can disconnect the drive shaft from the rear-differential and secure it to the frame.-- If your C-10 has a manual transmission, you should ask a mechanic to see if it can handle being towed in neutral for long distances.

Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
This would be the opportunity of a lifetime if you offered some sane licensed high school'er an opportunity to drive one of them back (convoy style), obviously on your dime.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This would be the opportunity of a lifetime if you offered some sane licensed high school'er an opportunity to drive one of them back (convoy style), obviously on your dime.

Hahaha, Yeah I was that kid roughly 25 years ago. My old man had a small used car lot and we were always shuffling cars around. Funny thing about towing is that I remember dad buying a new mid 80's 2 door S-10 Blazer with the 2.8 V-6. Believe it or not, he pulled many cars on a tow dolly with that wheezer. And I don't remember him having any problems...

I just put my brake controller in today. I'm still up in the air... It's been a long time since I've towed a car. And those were done with a 91 Chevy Crew Cab ramp bed car hauler (one on the bed) and one on a tow dolly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts