Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short, I've been looking for a used car for the past 6 months and I'm striking out locally. I decided to open up my search to nearby states within 250 miles (about 7 or 8 more states). The car weighs 3000 lbs and the vehicle trailer is 2200 lbs (this one: http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Auto-Transport-Rental/AT/). Will I be okay driving this from say, NYC to Boston (about 200 miles)?

2nd question: I noticed some of UHaul's trailers don't mention anything about having brakes. I recall our unbraked towing capacity is only 1000 lbs, so does that mean the Ridgeline can't tow a UHaul 4x8 trailer since it has no brakes?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have done what you are proposing using Uhaul trailers on several occasions. Although slightly outside of what Honda would say is acceptable, I have never had a problem. 200 miles is no problem except I advise use premium fuel and you will probably go through a full tank. I would say just keep your load in the truck (people, cargo) to a minimum, and plan to go slow...like 50, not 60 or 70. Plan your time using 50 mph.

All of the larger Uhaul trailers have surge brakes. So they are classified as having braking systems. They work by pressure created by the trailer moving forward when you apply the brakes in the truck. Not as good as an electric system, but way better than nothing.

Theoretically Uhaul will not rent you a trailer that your truck cannot safely pull. They have minimum standards that if they exceed them they know they could get sued in the event of an accident. So generally, if they will rent you the trailer, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If you are going to tow that much weight on that route, I'd say to do it in the wee hours (VERY early morning if you can), preferably on a week-end. You'd be much safer having minimal traffic around you, and little if any stop-start issues in whatever traffic there is. Be sure to check for construction along your route as well. I agree it should not be a big deal IF you don't have issues that 'test' your vehicle/trailer combination. Create 50% more stopping distance in front of you than you think you'll ever need, and beware of downhill speed (if you encounter even modest grades.... but I believe you might be able to avoid those altogether on that route?). Remember this is NOT a brand new, pristine trailer your talking about, and does NOT have a premium braking system. Take all of that into account & you'll be just fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts