Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering towing our 2000 Toyota Camry (approximately 3000 lbs) on a tow dolly about 600 miles with my '06 RL with 153K miles on it. Has anyone done something similar to this and if so do you think it will do any damage, especially if I just cruise along around 60 mph? The truck has been so awesome causing very few issues for the past 12 years, so I don't want to smoke the tranny or damage the engine. I realize the RL has a 5K lb towing capacity, but that's a long way to pull something that heavy. I'm sure the mileage is gonna suck! Thanks.

Premium Member
You should be fine, given there are trailer brakes built into the tow dolly and your Gen1's hitch and harness are in good working order. If there are no dolly brakes, things will get scary for the Gen1 and Gen2 brakes have proven to not be great when under heavy load. Because the vehicle you want to tow is about 3,000 lbs, you could upgrade to a car trailer that will most definitly have trailer brakes. That combination will put you near the 5,000 lbs towing limit of the RL, which should not concern you unless you will be hauling a lot of people and cargo on this trip (i.e. be mindful of your GCWR).

If you have kept up with your maintenance (timing belt, fluid changes, etc.), a 600 mile tow should not be a problem for your Gen1. Just use 91 or higher octane gasoline (as prescribed in your manual), start your trip with fairly clean looking transmission fluid, and you should not have a problem. Depending on your route, the traffic, and the weather, you should expect to see around 10-12 MPG while towing.

Here's a report on what happened to me during my 1,220 mile trip towing a heavy boat while hauling passengers and some cargo (if I can do it, so can you): https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/20-dear-honda-feedback-forum/62922-my-trip-lake-cumberland.html

If this is your first time towing with your Gen1, you may find the following posts of value:
If you're new to towing all together, here is a good video that covers some of the basics:
The advise I would add to this video is to practice backing up a trailer, it's not intuitive at first. Here is a post where I cover that issue: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/33-racks-hitches-towing/118890-possible-first-time-tow-2.html?118890=#post1740666

Premium Member
Nice reply McChizz...

Registered
You鈥檒l be fine, I just towed my sons car back home, it was about 170 miles through some pretty good sized hills. I ran 65-70 mph the entire way. I honestly forgot it was back there at one point and looked in my mirror and thought 鈥榳ho鈥檚 this guy think he is riding my ass?!鈥 馃ぃ
My RL is 鈥07 with 165k on the clock, lifted with a little bigger tire and there were only a couple times where I had to really stomp on it to get up the hill, but the rest was smooth sailing with cruise set at 70mph on the long flat roads.
Make sure you pull the steering pin on the dolly after you load the car, and as I found out quickly, do not try to back up and turn with the steering unlocked on the dolly, it doesn鈥檛 play nice 馃槀

Registered
Have you considered just driving (having someone drive it) it to its destination? Less wear and tear and $ if you have to rent a trailer/dolly.

Premium Member
Have you considered just driving (having someone drive it) it to its destination? Less wear and tear and $ if you have to rent a trailer/dolly.
But what fun is that? I love hauling and towing challenges (yes, I'm weird).

Registered
To each their own my friend. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
wrenrj1
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing