Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
FWD Rigis do not have a factory installed tranny cooler. It is somewhat easy to install an aftermarket tranny cooler on a 6 speed Rigi.

Yes, that makes sense. if the FWD ridgelines don't have factory installed transmission coolers while the AWDs do, then that's one reason why the 2WD pre 2020 rigdelines having lower towing capacities. But Bill here said that's not the only reason (or actual reason). I'm wondering what else can be different if it's not just the transmission cooler...

Yes, that makes sense. if the FWD ridgelines don't have factory installed transmission coolers while the AWDs do, then that's one reason why the 2WD pre 2020 rigdelines having lower towing capacities. But Bill here said that's not the only reason (or actual reason). I'm wondering what else can be different if it's not just the transmission cooler...
I'm not sure of a place where it is spelled out, but the stability of the vehicle with just the front two wheels driving could be an issue. I have used front wheel drive minivans to pull boats for many years. If you get too much weight on the hitch it removes weight from the front tires reducing traction. This was the specific reason I bought my Ridgeline as I spun my wheels many times pulling a boat up a ramp. Could be some other differences, but I believe that to be the main unresolvable issue.

I'm not sure of a place where it is spelled out, but the stability of the vehicle with just the front two wheels driving could be an issue. I have used front wheel drive minivans to pull boats for many years. If you get too much weight on the hitch it removes weight from the front tires reducing traction. This was the specific reason I bought my Ridgeline as I spun my wheels many times pulling a boat up a ramp. Could be some other differences, but I believe that to be the main unresolvable issue.
Yep!

There has also been mentioned of the extra structure required for the rear wheel drive?

Bill

Yep!

There has also been mentioned of the extra structure required for the rear wheel drive?

Bill
Extra structure??? meaning what? As for the springs, I can’t understand why they would put lighter springs on the FWD, as there is no difference in sprung weight. I think the springs will fit on the fwd struts, with no modification. Oem springs from Honda are only about $60 each.

Extra structure??? meaning what? As for the springs, I can’t understand why they would put lighter springs on the FWD, as there is no difference in un-sprung weight. I think the and springs will fit on the fwd struts, with no modification. Oem springs from Honda are only about $60 each.
An AWD Ridgeline weighs 189 lbs. more than a FWD and most of that is over the rear wheels because of the weight of the rear differential and half shafts.
An AWD Ridgeline rides 0.6" higher than a FWD.

An AWD Ridgeline weighs 189 lbs. more than a FWD and most of that is over the rear wheels because of the weight of the rear differential and half shafts.
An AWD Ridgeline rides 0.6" higher than a FWD.
Not “over“ the rear wheels. It’s beneath the springs. The difference in height is due to the spring height. I had edited my previous post to read “sprung weight”.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.