Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would one of you lucky new owners please post the detail from the owner's manual about towing capacities? I see that the ads indicate 5,000 lbs tow capacity, but I've seen somewhere that this maximum amount drops off dramatically as you add passengers and gear. It would be great to see the whole towing scoop as detailed in the real owner's manual. Thanks in advance to anyone who will take the time to do so!

·
Registered
21 Posts
It has to do with the relationship of GCWR (gross combined weight rating, which is the total weight of truck and trailer combo) and GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating, which is the max weight that should ever be on the vehicles axles).

If GVWR + tow rating = GCWR, then your tow rating is not reduced when you load up the truck. However, the Ridgeline does not fit that equation. From Honda.com:
GVWR=6050 lbs
GCWR=10085 lbs
Tow Rating=5000 lbs

The thing to remember is that the GCWR and GVWR must never be exceeded, so the tow rating is not a real "rating", since fully loading the truck means that your max trailer weight, minus tongue weight, will only be 4035 lbs. Also keep in mind that you need to add the trailer's tongue weight to the tow vehicle's weight when determining if the GVWR is exceeded.

Also understand that fuel, people, accesories (hitch, running boards, heavier tires/wheels, tools, etc.) are all added to the "curb weight" or unloaded weight.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Curb Weight (No People , No Stuff) = 4498

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating = 6050
(People , Stuff , Hitch/Tongue)
Add 100 lbs for the hitch plus tongue weight

Gross Combined Weight Rating = 10,085
(Truck Loaded and Trailer)

Important !

What is the Axle rating AND the Tire rating ?

These must never be exceeded .

·
Registered
11 Posts
UVW 4,541 lbs.
Hitch Weight 420 lbs.
Axle Weight 4,121 lbs.
Cargo Capacity 2861 lbs.
Exterior Length 29' 3"
Exterior Width 97"
Exterior Height w/ AC 10' 5"
Ceiling Height 79"
Fresh Capacity 50 gal.
Grey Capacity 41 gal.
Black Capacity 31 gal.

can i do with my 2010 ?? :))

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,592 Posts
You fellers like to dig up 8 year old threads, do ya? :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
2006 RTS

My "Curb weight" is just over 5000lbs...just enough to make me have to pay commercial rates on my tag renewals. I notice the newer Ridgelines are under 5K lbs. Wonder what they did to drop the weight?

Curb Weight (No People , No Stuff) = 4498

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating = 6050
(People , Stuff , Hitch/Tongue)
Add 100 lbs for the hitch plus tongue weight

Gross Combined Weight Rating = 10,085
(Truck Loaded and Trailer)

Important !

What is the Axle rating AND the Tire rating ?

These must never be exceeded .

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
2006 RTS

My "Curb weight" is just over 5000lbs...just enough to make me have to pay commercial rates on my tag renewals. I notice the newer Ridgelines are under 5K lbs. Wonder what they did to drop the weight?
The Ridgeline's weight has scarcely budged and has always been about 4500 lbs. Someone is ripping you off. What is the source of the curb weight that you have used (or rather, that someone else has used against you)?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Florida title has it listed at just over 5000lbs curb weight. I don't have it w/me to get the actual number but that is the point at which they start charging commercial rates for tags and I have to pay it.

I remember reading a few years ago the reported weight had dropped but not by 500ish lbs as it appears. Now, googling the truck, I can't find anywhere it's listed over 5000???? I know I read it somewhere back when I first got it and also remember reading when a later model came out that was lighter slightly.
The tag office has it's own book of curb weights they use and it wouldn't surprise me to find out they had overestimated it.

It's sad that modern American Government thinks of us as a revenue source instead of constituents.

The Ridgeline's weight has scarcely budged and has always been about 4500 lbs. Someone is ripping you off. What is the source of the curb weight that you have used (or rather, that someone else has used against you)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts