Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a Forest River Mini Lite 2109s with a dry weight of 4172 lbs. we will keep the load light. How do you think my 2018 E G2 Ridgeline will do pulling it? I know It will be better than my G1 which struggled a bit the a 4150 lb Sea Ray and a 1000 lb trailer. The G2 has way more power.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
205 Posts
Being completely honest, I don’t think it’s going to like it very much. However I am a firm believer that the RL CAN handle a bit more than it’s rated for. Just be careful. I hate the way the transmission runs when towing with the RL it’s always always always downshifting, which I guess is better than lugging itself out. I digress. Long story short I wouldn’t want to go far with a maxed out camper also creating all that parasitic drag.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,398 Posts
It will do it if you pay mind to the GVWR...You dont want to accidentally overpack the vehicle either. I plan to haul a 3850 lb (dry) Riverside 189R which I imagine will wind up around 4,500 packed up. I sold my Ram 1500 knowing that I only tow twice a year and that I’d be close, but Honda has always been conservative. Take your time and enjoy the view.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,418 Posts
Based on all the posts I have read on the ROC about the Gen2 and towing, the only thing you will need to be mindful of, that you did not have to pay as much attention to in the Gen1, is transmission temperature. Honda's 6AT has a nasty habit of overheating, particularly in slow moving stop and go traffic. When traveling, do what you can to keep the torque converter locked-up to help keep the heat down.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Personally, I’d be more inclined to load up a G1 to max than a G2. There are plenty of reports of G2 trannies overheating, but few to none on the G1.

Brakes are important; way more important than power.

The extra power of the G2 is almost entirely at the top end of the rev range. The power difference at lower rpm is negligible.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Personally, I’d be more inclined to load up a G1 to max than a G2. There are plenty of reports of G2 trannies overheating, but few to none on the G1.

Brakes are important; way more important than power.

The extra power of the G2 is almost entirely at the top end of the rev range. The power difference at lower rpm is negligible.
Although true, the Gen2's lower first-gear also helps with towing or the feeling of extra power at takeoff. I do wish my Gen1 had a lower first-gear for there have been times when I wondered if I was going to get moving up a very steep hill towing a trailer when I was at a dead stop.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
132 Posts
I do like the RL ride when towing. It is very behaved but I would be happy to be able to shift down on some hills when pulling the Airstream. The 2020 paddle shifters would be handy during towing. The power is pretty good but it seems to want to shift down more that I like. I guess the engine is happy to be revving over 4,000 rpm.

We got stuck in some bumper to bumper traffic and this is where the low gearing really helped. We didn't even notice the trailer on the back. I even though I was being tailgated by an ugly truck! Then I realized that I was looking at my trailer.

Here is a nice little shot I took yesterday showing proof that the G2 can pull some weight.

Now we are waiting for the campgrounds to open up so we can use this setup more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Although true, the Gen2's lower first-gear also helps with towing or the feeling of extra power at takeoff. I do wish my Gen1 had a lower first-gear for there have been times when I wondered if I was going to get moving up a very steep hill towing a trailer when I was at a dead stop.
Reading these various posts on what the RL’s can tow, towing capacity etc, what people have towed, various hwy’s and the loads they were hauling, such as one post of a forum member traveling on hwy 40 to and from Havasu. (long steep grades and many.). Some members relate hauling 6000 lbs short distances around town. So some think maybe the truck is over engineered for the stated towing capacity of 5000 lbs. Lets face it, this truck tows very well.
Now to my point. I have a keen interest in steam locomotives. One of the things I remember was a Canadian steam engine called a Selkirk designed to haul by itself 1000 tons on a 1% grade. On that grade the weight of that train was 14,000 tons. I do not claim to be a math wizard, but that load your RL is pulling gets to be weighting a lot. Railroads try to keep grades at 2% our less, heck hwy we drive get to be 5%,6%, 8% where I live. Point is that 5,000lbs weight is much more on grades you may encounter.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
132 Posts
Mooner, it is interesting to think about the compound loads. Many of the hills in our area are long and approach 10% grade. I wonder if there is a calculation to determine this change in weight?

Do you think that the auto manufacturers would consider the potential increase and add that and then working backwards, determine the max towing capacity. It is probably why people can go above the posted maximums and survive. It is when these loads are plummeting down a hill and the brakes give out or dragging it up a hill and the engine explodes.

So Honda comes up with 5,000 lbs for the RL knowing that drivers will often push the maximums. Do they build in a safety factor for this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would be nervous. I have a '19 E and pulled a 6' x 12' enclosed trailer weighing 1600 lbs, empty to pick up some product from my distributor 260 miles away. About 20 miles from my destination, the dash lit up and the transmission locked into gear and would not downshift unless I came to a stop. Most of the trip was spent driving around 70 mph (the speed limit), and the RL seemed to prefer 4th gear, running around 4000 RPM. It was towed to a local Honda dealer and I grabbed a Uhaul to get back home with my product and trailer. I know there is a considerable amount of wind drag with an enclosed trailer, but was surprised how quickly it downshifted pulling this trailer. The dealer ended up clearing the codes and flushing the trans. It seems a solenoid stuck in the transmission and when it cooled down, it was fine. This trip was in December, where its cold in the north! Strangely, when the transmission stuck in 6th gear, it seemed to handle the trailer just fine. This transmission seems to downshift eagerly rather than call on the engine for more power. I love my RL, just wish it would pull like my old Volvo XC60 with the turbo Inline 6 and 6 speed transmission! Cheers to Honda for picking up most of the tab for my rentals to get home and back to the dealer who serviced my RL.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
132 Posts
svt3500, It is interesting that the shape of that trailer may have played into the transmission lock up.

I really felt the difference between my Camplite which has a huge face that acts a sail. The Airstream feels lighter but it is actually twice the weight. It doesn't seem to be as frontal probably because of the shape.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mooner, it is interesting to think about the compound loads. Many of the hills in our area are long and approach 10% grade. I wonder if there is a calculation to determine this change in weight?

Do you think that the auto manufacturers would consider the potential increase and add that and then working backwards, determine the max towing capacity. It is probably why people can go above the posted maximums and survive. It is when these loads are plummeting down a hill and the brakes give out or dragging it up a hill and the engine explodes.

So Honda comes up with 5,000 lbs for the RL knowing that drivers will often push the maximums. Do they build in a safety factor for this?
I am thinking they must. We all just think of the tow capacity not really realizing how much a load weighs when on a grade and how much that weight increases as the grade increases. Of course the stress on the truck to hold back the load on grades depending on the grades severity. Think of that when you observe tractor trailer rigs straining on grades. I personally don’t know how to calculate this, wish I did.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Honda tested the Ridgeline to J2807 standards:

What we have to keep in mind about the J2807 testing, is the manufacturer can choose whatever weight limit they want to be tested against. If their vehicle can do more but they decide to test it for less and it passes, you will never know if it could actually do more. 5,000 lbs is what Honda decided to get certified for, so we know it can at least do that and survive the J2807 tests.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, I hear you on that. There probably a list of reasons for 5,000 lbs, I can see that they like to certify their trade-ins and they don’t know what kind of towing abuse the vehicle got. Personally I believe it would handle more than 5,000 lbs but it makes you self limit to that figure. My boss has a half ton Dodge with a Hemi, but the suspension is a bite lite up here in the Mtns. for its rating, unless you like visiting the repair shop. Lots of vehicle stress near the max.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I don’t see any compelling reason to think Honda is under-rating the pickup. Other than “I didn’t experience a failure when I towed near or a bit over max that time or few,” does anyone have any solid technical reason to think this?

This transmission seems to downshift eagerly rather than call on the engine for more power.
I agree, it does downshift readily. I think if you were to connect a ScanGauge, though, what you’d see is that when the tranny downshifts, it’s because the engine is already giving all the power it has to give at that rpm (or within ~5% or so). That’s what I’ve observed many times with my ScanGauge.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
If the Ridgeline is certified to tow 5000lbs under the conditions of J2807 standards, one might assume that it could handle more weight under less stringent conditions.

Of course, going over 5k might mean you need a different hitch and you might need a WDH. You alao need to make certain to stay within GVWR, GCWR and GAWR, all of which are arguably more important than the overall tow rating.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you have any questions about the towing ability of the Ridgeline, watch this video.

Maximum load, up a STEEP grade, at over a mile above sea level.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts