Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Based on all the posts I have read on the ROC about the Gen2 and towing, the only thing you will need to be mindful of, that you did not have to pay as much attention to in the Gen1, is transmission temperature. Honda's 6AT has a nasty habit of overheating, particularly in slow moving stop and go traffic. When traveling, do what you can to keep the torque converter locked-up to help keep the heat down.
Pardon my ignorance, but can a transmission cooler (probably the wrong term) be added, whether from Honda or aftermarket?

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but can a transmission cooler (probably the wrong term) be added, whether from Honda or aftermarket?
I think @Venphic has added an auxiliary cooler to his trans.

If I planned on towing near max capacity often, I wouldn't hesitate to add an auxiliary cooler. As of now, it is strictly a DIY project, or find a trans shop that does custom work. Room is limited for overall size of cooler. You will need to decide if you want to add a thermostat, or monitor trans temp with something like ScanGauge and activate the cooler yourself when needed.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm considering adding the Try-Cool Max 6"X23"X3/4" unit. Looks like there is plenty of room behind the lower grill......but all that plastic removal to do the install makes me nervous. Seeing 195F+ tranny temps, not towing, makes me think the tranny could use a little bit of help.

Here is my experience. The bumper is a 10min job and 2 people make it way easier!

·
Registered
905 Posts
If the Ridgeline is certified to tow 5000lbs under the conditions of J2807 standards, one might assume that it could handle more weight under less stringent conditions.
Well, yes, of course. If you have to reduce the requirements of the test in order to get a better score, that would demonstrate that the pickup is already doing the absolute most it can under the industry standard test. ;-)

·
Registered
140 Posts
The pics of the bumper already removed are appreciated......but maybe just a little more info regarding bumper removal to help the dummy (me)????

Also, the upper end of the external tranny filter, is that where tranny fluid enters or exits? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,322 Posts
The Ridgeline already has a transmission cooler, in front of the radiator. Its design suggest it is not quite as good as the factory one on the Gen1, but that is a guess based on pictures of its design. Regardless, adding another cooler or increasing the size of the existing cooler does not mean the transmission will be cooler. A big part of how hot or cold the transmission becomes has to do with the computer's programming in addition to the Gen2's ability to deal with the heat. So increasing cooling ability is just one step in resolving a problem like this. Also, you do not want the transmission to get too cool either; this is why Honda has a transmission pre-heater as well as a cooler. In other words, it is complicated. Note the TSBs on overheated torque converters and Honda's instructions on how to fix it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Where’s the 2WD Rigi tranny cooler?

FWIW, just returned from a 30 min 9 mile round trip stop-n-go, not towing, 35 mph tops, 92F ambient. CT 190F, TFT 198F, IAT 112F.🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
Where’s the 2WD Rigi tranny cooler?

FWIW, just returned from a 30 min 9 mile round trip stop-n-go, not towing, 35 mph tops, 92F ambient. CT 190F, TFT 198F, IAT 112F.🤷‍♂️
Now that I think about it some more, I don't think the 2WD version comes with a transmission cooler nor does it come with a trailer wiring harness. The 2WD is not really setup to tow.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Now that I think about it some more, I don't think the 2WD version comes with a transmission cooler nor does it come with a trailer wiring harness. The 2WD is not really setup to tow.
I believe that you are correct, with the 2WD towing capacity at only 3,500 pounds.

Bill

·
Registered
140 Posts
I did install/finish, where Honda quit, (thanks Honda bean counters for being cheap) the trailer light harness with a Tekonsha unit. The connector behind the back seat was fun getting to (thanks again Honda). The 34K BTU Tru-Cool tranny cooler will be next in what I consider to be the minimum necessary items (along with tranny temp monitoring) in proper tow-prep.

Have there been any reports of a 2WD Rigi tranny overheating, like the AWD Rigi?

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
... Have there been any reports of a 2WD Rigi tranny overheating, like the AWD Rigi?
No I have not, but there are so few 2WDs and the transmission overheat, although common, does not happen to everyone; so it makes statistical sense to me that we have not heard of a transmission overheat on 2WDs on this forum yet, at least not one that I have read about.

Are you looking to tow 3,500 lbs or less with your 2WD? If you are looking to get close to the 5,000 lbs tow mark with your 2WD, keep in mind that part of Honda's AWD design was sharing the torque load between the front and rear axles when towing. So if you try to tow ~5,000 lbs and put all that strain on the front axle, you may break something.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Something tells me that the actual number of overheats may be 1 or more zeros to the right of the decimal as a percentage of total built.....regardless of FWD or AWD.

No plans to tow anywhere near 5K lbs......but don't care to see 200F fluid temp not towing either. IMO, 264F fluid temp, when the warning supposedly illuminates, is a little toasty.:eek:

Just curious, but are the FWD front components different from the AWD front components (not including transfer case)?🤷‍♂️ Is the front/rear split 50/50? Sorry.....inquisitive newbie.

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
Something tells me that the actual number of overheats may be 1 or more zeros to the right of the decimal as a percentage of total built.....regardless of FWD or AWD.

No plans to tow anywhere near 5K lbs......but don't care to see 200F fluid temp not towing either. IMO, 264F fluid temp, when the warning supposedly illuminates, is a little toasty.:eek:

Just curious, but are the FWD front components different from the AWD front components (not including transfer case)?🤷‍♂️ Is the front/rear split 50/50? Sorry.....inquisitive newbie.
Statistically it is kind of high, that's why Honda published the TSBs on it.

When not under load (cruising at speed not under load) all the torque is sent to the front axle but power is always going to all four wheels. When under load (that includes towing at speed), up to 100% of available torque is sent to the rear axle but not all the time. The CPU is constantly figuring out which axle and wheel needs the most torque and distributes it accordingly.

From a parts list perspective, I can't really tell how different the front axle components are between the 2WD and the AWD. All I can tell you is what Honda tells perspective buyers and owners.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts