Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
If not already stated... if your G2 is AWD it should have a transmission cooler and is rated for 5K pounds. I tow a boat/trailer combo that is around 3500 lbs. dry and not sure wet-weight and it does fine. I do notice (and not sure if it is just my perception or reality) that the truck works a little harder for the first few miles and then seems to figure out it is towing a load and shifts better/smoother, and doesn't seem to rev like the first few miles. Again, may or may not be the 1600 computer chips learning as I drive or not... good luck but if AWD I think you'll be really good to go!
I have ordered a Forest River Mini Lite 2109s with a dry weight of 4172 lbs. we will keep the load light. How do you think my 2018 E G2 Ridgeline will do pulling it? I know It will be better than my G1 which struggled a bit the a 4150 lb Sea Ray and a 1000 lb trailer. The G2 has way more power.
I have ordered a Forest River Mini Lite 2109s with a dry weight of 4172 lbs. we will keep the load light. How do you think my 2018 E G2 Ridgeline will do pulling it? I know It will be better than my G1 which struggled a bit the a 4150 lb Sea Ray and a 1000 lb trailer. The G2 has way more power.
I know I am pushing the limits but I do it a few times a year.
I have a 2007 and agree with njfisher. I tow a 4280lb 21 foot keystone passport 8 foot wide camper. I put a stacked plate tranny cooler in, it is a derale with two fans. I have no idea about tranny temps but I am installing a gauge this weekend so I will know how temps are. I turn the fan on when I leave the house and have peace of mind if I get stuck in traffic. I run a weight distribution hitch which is a must as far as I am concerned I don’t understand why the manual says different. It’s heavy but I picked it up in Massachusetts in August and 100 degrees and it never cried.
Change your fluids often to keep everything happy. Hope this helps

·
Registered
515 Posts
I know I am pushing the limits but I do it a few times a year.
I have a 2007 and agree with njfisher. I tow a 4280lb 21 foot keystone passport 8 foot wide camper. I put a stacked plate tranny cooler in, it is a derale with two fans. I have no idea about tranny temps but I am installing a gauge this weekend so I will know how temps are. I turn the fan on when I leave the house and have peace of mind if I get stuck in traffic. I run a weight distribution hitch which is a must as far as I am concerned I don’t understand why the manual says different. It’s heavy but I picked it up in Massachusetts in August and 100 degrees and it never cried.
Change your fluids often to keep everything happy. Hope this helps
It would be great to see a pic or 2 of your Derale cooler install. Also, how about a pic or 2 of your tranny temp gauge install, where you mounted the sending unit and some fluid temps you observe. (y)

·
Registered
27 Posts
It would be great to see a pic or 2 of your Derale cooler install. Also, how about a pic or 2 of your tranny temp gauge install, where you mounted the sending unit and some fluid temps you observe. (y)
72B68395-3293-4A67-B82E-5DF8768713E2.jpeg
Here is the cooler on the drivers side. I don’t have the temp gauge in yet but it will just be tapped into a line

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not Way more power. The G2 does develope 30 more hp at red line. BUT RARELY do folks tow with the engine red lining. Torque is more important when towing. And the torque difference in the G1 and G2 is 5 or so lbft.

Trailer mfg tend to cheat a bit considering weight. Saw one a while back where the option list included item such as roof AC, spare tire, awning, and a couple of of other items that would add 250-300 lbs, but were not included in the weight on the sticker inside the kitchen cabinet. Short version : Your trailer could weigh considerably more than that 4217 lbs.. add water in the Fresh water tank and water heater @ 6# per gallon and you may be near the rated tow capacity of the RL before adding food clothing. Pots and pans, a couple of bikes and all kinds of other STUFF, and you can easily hit that 5000#.

Keep in mind, stuff you put in your truck add to the total gross weight.
You might still be fine on relatively flat terrain, but mountains and other inclines will challenge.

Code:

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,792 Posts
Trailer mfg tend to cheat a bit considering weight....

..... add water in the Fresh water tank and water heater @ 6# per gallon
Speaking of 'cheating a bit' ..... water weights 8.34 #/US gallon .... o_O ;)

(aw, shucks, what's ~30% lowball among friends :LOL:)

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,874 Posts
Not Way more power. The G2 does develope 30 more hp at red line. BUT RARELY do folks tow with the engine red lining. Torque is more important when towing. And the torque difference in the G1 and G2 is 5 or so lbft.
The J35Z5 made 247ft-lbs while the J35Y6 makes 262ft-lbs. Difference of 15ft-lbs is a lot, considering that the higher torque is available from lower engine speed and carried on towards the 6K mark.

With the Ridgeline, anything over a 4500lbs of total trailer weight gets very noticeable, even for a G2 and you are right about that.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
122 Posts
We have a 2.0T in our 07 GTI and it very impressive. With the right gearing for the RL weight, a 2.0T could work quite well. Also they could also repurpose the 2.4 (had one of those if the Element) and slap turbo on that. Probably offer a bit more torque. Or... Stick a turbo on the 3.5 V6 and make the high output version RL.

VW is getting ~300 hp and ~300 ft-lbs out of their 2.0T and with a small ODB2 change, pushing 400 hp.

Honda certainly knows how to build a quick engine so I can't see this as too far out.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,874 Posts
OK, fixed. Here is why I would like to see Honda's new 2.0L Turbo engine in the RL.
I am not sure how that would be mated to a 6spd or a 9spd lugging a 4500lb vehicle, let alone trying to tow a 5000lb trailer.

Wow, look at that 2000 RPM torque!
Magic of a turbo. They do this without Vtec on the intake. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If they put a turbo in the ridgeline I'm not sure I'd want the 2L. Isn't that known to have oil dilution problems?

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
578 Posts
I am not sure how that would be mated to a 6spd or a 9spd lugging a 4500lb vehicle, let alone trying to tow a 5000lb trailer.
The Ranger only has a 2.3L turbocharged engine mated to a 8 or 9speed transmission. It weighs more and tows more, (7500#). It does however have fuel dilution problems. See the thread below.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just returned from 11 days on the road with my (new to me) Airstream Sport 16'. GVWR is 3500 lbs and it was just my wife and I driving with about 500 lbs of stuff in my '17 RLT. We traveled from CO to AZ to pick up the trailer then back through UT and into CO. We crossed two 10000 foot passes with the trailer and the truck did great, getting 15-16 mpg everywhere. But, when traveling Interstate 70 for about three hours from 4500 feet to 7500 feet, the "Transmission is too hot" warning light came on. I had been going 70 mph up till that point and the outside temp was 88 degrees. I pulled off and let it cool down for about 40 minutes. After the cool off, we proceeded over Vail Pass (10000+ feet) to our home without incident. Could my recently installed skid plate be reducing the airflow to the transmission? Should I have reduced my interstate speed to 65mph? Thanks for any thoughts. John

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
If they put a turbo in the ridgeline I'm not sure I'd want the 2L. Isn't that known to have oil dilution problems?
I think that's the 1.5L that has the oil dilution issues. The issue happens with short trips where the engine doesn't get fully warmed up to burn off internal condensation. It needs to be driven harder and hotter.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
122 Posts
"Transmission is too hot" warning light came on.
Wow, that's disturbing to hear. Glad that you were able to make it home. Are you going to take it in to Honda for a check?

When the temp light is one, does the RL still allow you to maintain the current speed and load or does it go into some sort of limp mode?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I just returned from... ...But, when traveling Interstate 70 for about three hours from 4500 feet to 7500 feet, the "Transmission is too hot" warning light came on. I had been going 70 mph up till that point and the outside temp was 88 degrees. I pulled off and let it cool down for about 40 minutes. After the cool off, we proceeded over Vail Pass (10000+ feet) to our home without incident. Could my recently installed skid plate be reducing the airflow to the transmission? Should I have reduced my interstate speed to 65mph? Thanks for any thoughts. John
Zldds:
The “trans hot” warning is a significant issue, and you reacted appropriately by pulling over and letting it cool off. I assume you had the engine idling and the a/c off? You could leave the a/c on, but it would take longer to cool down. I share your concern about dealing with this again in the future. Your instinct to reduce speed is correct, especially when gaining elevation for long periods. I don’t know abt your skid plate (is it Honda?), but there probably isn’t a significant reduction in trans cooling at highway speed, and most of the cooling is done thru the A/T radiator anyway.

I would want to install a trans temp gauge, and monitor the actual temperature instead of freaking out when the idiot light comes on (Which is my unfiltered reaction when a warning light comes on. I practically screamed out loud when the low oil pressure light came on while driving once. Turned out to be a bad sensor. This from a guy that used to wrench on Porsche’s and crewed on a race team. Go figure!) If you observe the temp climbing significantly, you can reduce speed and allow it to stabilize before it gets too hot. One other issue: overheating oil is not a good thing. I would swap out the trans fluid for fresh fluid as soon as you can, and certainly before doing any more towing. Overheated fluid can lose lubricating qualities, as well as important additives. I had a temp gauge on my (air cooled) motorcycle, and more than once it got too hot and resulted in an unscheduled oil change.

That’s the simplest fix. If you want to maintain speed while towing, you need more cooling capacity, i.e., a larger (supplemental) cooler.

I'm also curious about your GVWR comment. That’s the max the trailer should weigh with cargo, not the “dry weight.” There should be another value listed as “dry weight“ or “empty weight”. If not, subtract the “maximum cargo weight” from the GVWR. That should give you an approximate “dry weight”. I mention this because the load you were pulling doesn’t seem that extreme for the RL. That it overheated is somewhat curious, given the two other passes you crested without incident. Is it possible you were driving into a significant headwind going up that long grade? That would add a lot of load to the truck. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,402 Posts
I just returned from 11 days on the road with my (new to me) Airstream Sport 16'. GVWR is 3500 lbs and it was just my wife and I driving with about 500 lbs of stuff in my '17 RLT. We traveled from CO to AZ to pick up the trailer then back through UT and into CO. We crossed two 10000 foot passes with the trailer and the truck did great, getting 15-16 mpg everywhere. But, when traveling Interstate 70 for about three hours from 4500 feet to 7500 feet, the "Transmission is too hot" warning light came on. I had been going 70 mph up till that point and the outside temp was 88 degrees. I pulled off and let it cool down for about 40 minutes. After the cool off, we proceeded over Vail Pass (10000+ feet) to our home without incident. Could my recently installed skid plate be reducing the airflow to the transmission? Should I have reduced my interstate speed to 65mph? Thanks for any thoughts. John
What produces the most heat in a transmission is the torque converter. The longer you can keep the torque converter locked-up the less heat there will be. If your assent at 70 mph had the engine revving high, your torque converter may not have had the chance to lock-up so a lot of heat got produced. Reducing speed so the engine does not have to scream as much may give your torque converter a greater chance to lock-up or stay locked-up for longer.

Note that Honda's 6AT in the Ridgeline is known for overheating under the right load/diving conditions. So your problem is not new.

Since your high heat warning went off, inspect your transmission fluid and if it looks burnt (very dark), get it replaced ASAP using the "drain-and-fill" method as Honda prescribes.

·
Registered
998 Posts
What produces the most heat in a transmission is the torque converter. The longer you can keep the torque converter locked-up the less heat there will be. If your assent at 70 mph had the engine revving high, your torque converter may not have had the chance to lock-up so a lot of heat got produced.
Agreed. Does the G2's TC not lock up in lower gears? The G1's 5-speed will lock the TC in 4th, or even 3rd gear when towing up a long grade. It seems to do it more aggressively either when the ATF reaches a certain temp, or maybe if the PCM determines that you're towing in hilly terrain. IDK which.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts