Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
You are correct, but Gary was talking about the Gen 1 Ridgeline. Although the higher octane does help it doesn't have the same effects on the Gen 2 as it does on the Gen 1.
Ah ok, yep I knew he was talking about the G1 but assumed it was the same. Thank for the clarification @McChizzle !

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just pulled this lil feller 360 miles in 95f heat with no problem.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
130 Posts
Smuook, that looks like a nice trailer! What can you tell us about it? Tongue Weight and GVW? Looks like a bit of squat in the rear of the truck? Is you WDH dialled in and just carrying a lot of stuff or it needs to be tightened up to bring the rear of the truck up a bit. What brand of WDH do you have in your setup?

During your trip, what sort of speed did you run at? Was the trip hilly or flat? How did you do for MPG's with the trailer on board.

Sorry about the 3rde degree but just curious about all this stuff.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Smuook, that looks like a nice trailer! What can you tell us about it? Tongue Weight and GVW? Looks like a bit of squat in the rear of the truck? Is you WDH dialled in and just carrying a lot of stuff or it needs to be tightened up to bring the rear of the truck up a bit. What brand of WDH do you have in your setup?

During your trip, what sort of speed did you run at? Was the trip hilly or flat? How did you do for MPG's with the trailer on board.

Most of the squat is intentional... i have lowering springs. The wheel wells are actually within 1/2 inch of each other, so it is pretty much level. I'll post more details when I have time.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Many very satisfied owners of hard-and-heavy-RV-towing F150's with the 3.5l Ecoboost, reliably delivering performance far beyond what that displacement could do absent it's twin turbos, would respectfully disagree with you
Ford doesn’t, nor do fleet operators with actual heavy work to do. That’s why V8s with (relatively) large displacement (and 30–grade oil) are the gasoline engine of choice for heavy work for those who don’t choose diesel.

·
Registered
195 Posts

So I found a great deal on a used Lance and could not pass it up. These are highly desirable trailers and don't stay for sale long. New 4 years ago, the guy paid almost $50k for it with options and I got it for half that. He was going through a divorce and getting rid of memories. Anyway, I was set on getting this rv trailer. It weighs 4,500lbs dry and 590lbs on the tongue, so it is no slouch and a true test for the Ridge. With the tongue I had about 1200lbs payload on the truck. I was actually considering buying another truck just to get this trailer. Rather than listen to the nay sayers, I decided to give the Ridge a shot. I'm glad I did. The truck performed well, but Honda definitely didn't over-engineer the ATF cooler. I travel I-85 South from North Carolina to Georgia about 6 hours. Rolling hills and a few inclines, but not major hills but not flat either. Hot as all get out. The ATF stayed about 230F and highest I saw was 244F up a hill. It actually looks decent now. Still has the red color and not burnt. The ride itself was way better than expected. Besides the normal push-pull dynamics of a trailer, it rode like a Cadillac. I am using a EAZ-lift WDH that came with the trailer. The backed dropped 3.5 inches initially without it and I got it to drop only 2 inches with it. TBH, I wouldn't recommend trying towing this size without it. Big difference. Ride control and stability was great. Engine wise, plenty of power. I took it easy and kept it 55-60mph, occasionally up to 65mph to get momentum prior to hitting a hill. I had to rev it a bit up hills, but right in the power band and no where near red line. Water temp max was 209F. Mostly, the engine cruised along happily.

I really like the Ridge and my opinion is that it can pull 5000lbs but not if you push it. But after this experience, I'm keeping the Ridgeline and will be doing an aftermarket ATF cooler and dual fan mod - more on that soon!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,398 Posts
smuook.....thanks for the report. I was concerned about hauling our Riverside Retro which is around 3800# dry weight. After reading your story I'm breathing a bit easier!

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
130 Posts
Stop it you guys :) what are the RAM and F-150 owners going to think?

Be seriously, keep your max weights in check and keep your speed under 60 mph.

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
195 Posts
smuook.....thanks for the report. I was concerned about hauling our Riverside Retro which is around 3800# dry weight. After reading your story I'm breathing a bit easier!

View attachment 404088
Nice retro look! Every trailer is different however based on my experience you should have no problem. Take it easy, don't overdo it and good RV-ing!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Nice retro look! Every trailer is different however based on my experience you should have no problem. Take it easy, don't overdo it and good RV-ing!
Thanks. That's a nice rig you picked and a great price. I used to tow this with my 2017 Ram 1500, but wanting just one vehicle-the RTL-E is now it. 1/2 tons are crazy big and not fun going to the grocery store. Keep us posted on how the cooler works out.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
130 Posts

View attachment 404088
i like that these trailers are double axles in your case and Smuooks as well. That provides a bit of protection should a tire decide to give out.

I have a single axle carrying similar weights to this Retro and it does freak me out. I am looking at installing a TPMS system just for a bit of comfort and maybe to avoid a blow out down the road. Airstream put pretty good tires on the trailer but there is just one per side!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks. That's a nice rig you picked and a great price. I used to tow this with my 2017 Ram 1500, but wanting just one vehicle-the RTL-E is now it. 1/2 tons are crazy big and not fun going to the grocery store. Keep us posted on how the cooler works out.
Will do. Here's a teaser...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
i like that these trailers are double axles in your case and Smuooks as well. That provides a bit of protection should a tire decide to give out.
I have a single axle carrying similar weights to this Retro and it does freak me out. I am looking at installing a TPMS system just for a bit of comfort and maybe to avoid a blow out down the road. Airstream put pretty good tires on the trailer but there is just one per side!
I had a single axle 17’ Hi-Lo I was towing with our G1 when I literally had a wheel go flying off the passenger side. Thanks to the IRS, I brought trailer to a stop without incident,. However these days I won’t do a single axle (unless the trailer is light weight) and I don’t do Chinese tires. Goodyear has an American made trailer tire called Endurance, which might put your mind at ease.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,863 Posts
I had a single axle 17’ Hi-Lo I was towing with our G1 when I literally had a wheel go flying off the passenger side. Thanks to the IRS, I brought trailer to a stop without incident.
I seriously doubt that IRS on the RL, unarguably nice as it is, had a whole lot to do with that outcome.

I've logged many many thousands of miles with my '05 17ft Casita (single torsion axle) / F150 (non-IRS) combo over that rig's 15 year life. Never 'shucked' an entire wheel but have had a few trailer flats, including one total tire destruction / lost off the wheel, over the years. Yep, every time the adrenaline flows a bit but I've never suffered any drama or incident that extended beyond installing the spare. For that one total tire loss event I did have to replace the chewed-up wheel, but I've never had any damage to the trailer itself.

IMO proper tongue weight-bias of the loaded trailer and robust / rigid trailer chassis construction has more than anything to do with how they behave when a tire goes flat or worse. Wood and aluminum 'stick built body' trailers seem to frequently suffer lots of wheel-well area damage from 'flopping rubber' vs the Casita's molded fiberglass (very thick in the wheel-well area) which I've never had damaged.

YMMV.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
130 Posts
I had a single axle 17’ Hi-Lo I was towing with our G1 when I literally had a wheel go flying off the passenger side. Thanks to the IRS, I brought trailer to a stop without incident,. However these days I won’t do a single axle (unless the trailer is light weight) and I don’t do Chinese tires. Goodyear has an American made trailer tire called Endurance, which might put your mind at ease.
I have 15" Goodyear Endurance tires with a max weight of 2,830 lbs. I am putting about 1,000 lbs less on each of tire. There is a pretty good margin with my trailer but still.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
You’re good to go. 65 lbs in those surprised me as prior to these GoodYears, max was 50#

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
130 Posts
They are max 80 psi which I ran for the first 4 trips until I saw the Goodyear sheet on these times and I can drop them down to about 55 psi but will try 65 psi next trip. I thought something was too stiff when I popped a rivet inside the trailer. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the towing issue has more to do with wind drag than weight. When my transmission overheated, I was pulling a empty enclosed trailer in December (WI) at 70-75 mph. The transmission was primarily in 4th but would kick in to 5th on occasion. When the lights came on and locked into gear, I was going up a grade and could not pull over. The transmission was stuck in 6th gear, but it had plenty of power to maintain speed. I've also pulled boats, tandem jetski trailer (sidenote: if you ever feel there is too much $ in your checking account, purchase personal watercraft) a small skid steer, and a trailer weighing 4500lbs gross with construction materials (open trailer, loaded to about 4' high) since without issue. The truck struggled more with the empty, enclosed trailer at highway speed than anything else I've pulled. When I say "struggled" I mean kicking down into 4th gear and not upshifting much unless it was downhill. It makes me wonder if the trailer had a few thousand pounds in it, if inertia would have helped it along. I think a transmission cooler and better throttle/transmission programming would make it better. I opted for the '19 with the 6-speed late last year as we had a Discovery with the 9-speed that just didn't seem smooth and it often hunted for gears. Maybe the '20 9-speed would have been better?

81 - 100 of 105 Posts