Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
135 Posts
I think this would be a problem for most tow vehicles. Our little 2,000 lbs Camplite (that our VW Beetle Pulled for 4 years) went to a new home and when we took it there, with the RL, it was struggling at 60 mph but doesn't mind the twice as heavy Airstream.

When we got the Camplite and drove it home 4 years ago, we rented an F-250 gasser and it also struggled with the little trailer which. It had a huge front face on it.

The Beetle seemed to do the best with it.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,410 Posts
That's really surprising regarding your Camp Lite trailer. I was seriously looking at them before we bought our first Retro. Your Beetle actually pulled it?

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
135 Posts
The Beetle has a ton of work done to it 160hp/312 ft-lbs from the TDI. Happily drove on the highways in 4th with RPM's at 2,600 rpm at 65 mph. It could fly up hills just made a bit more smoke. I could pass everyone on hills if I wanted to. The brakes would stop the rig on a dime. They are very big and cost a bunch. The suspension is dialled in as well.

I really need to sell the car as it doesn't get driven enough these days. I am sure it would pull the Airstream but starting uphill from 0 would be hard on the clutch. It is lighter than the Airstream so it might get pushed around a bit more than the RL does.

The newer Camplites have a rounded front which might help. They are great trailers and extremely well built. Thor ended buying them and I think 2018 is when they disappeared.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,410 Posts
I noticed they were no longer around-pity, because they really were well made units. That VW should go to a museum! Amazing.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
135 Posts
I would be happy if the VW went to a new home and got some miles on it.

The crazy part about that car is you could tow the trailer and still get 30 mpg (50 mpg when not towing) and that was not light footed driving :) With the RL, I need to carry a 10 gal gas can so I don't run out between stations.

101 - 105 of 105 Posts