Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone explain to me how the Towing will be in the new RL in terms that a lamen can understand? I dont know about torque and weight, etc., I just know that my current RL is weak. I am wondering if it will be improved over the current model.

I have a small tent trailer that I use and when I go up a steep hill on a dirt road where I camp my RL barely can make it up the hill. I am hopeful that this will improve with the next RL. If not I may have to buy a Ford. :(

Bah my first post and I cant change the title, Layman....

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Re: Towing in Lamens Terms

Joe says with less weight, more torque/hsp, and extra gearing in the new 6-sp AT, the next gen RL should tow noticeably better than Gen1. He expects all new RLs to have integrated hitch and transmission cooler. But we don't know if Honda will honor us with a "Tow/Haul" mode for the engine/tranny. All of this and more has been discussed on the General Comments thread recently.

However, the G2 RL may lose some ground clearance, so hopefully your dirt road is not too rutted.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts

The RL is not an ox capable of pulling tremendous loads but it is very capable in pulling a small tent trailer. Either the RL or trailer has a problem (bad wheel bearing, locked/dragging brakes), find it - fix it, and you'll be alright.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts

A tent trailer should barely be felt. Control is paramount with any kind of towing, but power should not be an issue with a tent trailer behind a Ridgeline, whether you are experienced or a layman.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

On flat ground ya, a tent trailer is nothing. But up a steep hill in 4L - barely moves. Nothing wrong with the truck or the trailer. It has something to do with Torque or axle ratio, etc. I am not an engineer so thus the laymans term.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts

On flat ground ya, a tent trailer is nothing. But up a steep hill in 4L - barely moves. Nothing wrong with the truck or the trailer. It has something to do with Torque or axle ratio, etc. I am not an engineer so thus the laymans term.
That had to do the with spelling.. nothing wrong with the term. We are all laymen in one way or another, engineer or not. :)

What exactly is 4L? are you trying to lock the differential???

Don't!! That is only for pulling you out if you are stuck. It cuts out at 18mph.

Normally, you just leave it in 'D' and let it do it's thing.
Many time folks think there is something wrong if the revs climb up to 4000 or higher while it pulls. That's normal for a Honda, best thing is just drive it. Don't use the 3rd gear button for towing either. You can easily overheat the trans. That is only for helping engine braking when going downhill.
Make sure to read the owner's manual also on the operation of all controls especially when you have a trailer and towing.

What is the weight of the tent trailer anyway?

·
Registered
971 Posts

I understand I think what he is getting at its basically slow up hills. Other than maybe a Hemi or a diesel and some ecobboost you will feel some drag. With the Ridgeline its definitely there but it also handles well. Stability wise its fantastic with heavy weight. It even brakes above average. It just simply needs more ponies or a turbo. Tow haul, brake controller, would be insane and much welcomed but.... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! this is another dream for the Ridgeline towing crew like myself I think we all have shared and learned will not be a part of Honda. They don't want it, they don't want to pay the bucks for development, they don't care the slightest that current owners requesting more towing capabilities, and they certainly will not build it this time around.

As for the Gen two version? Well it needs more ponies as I mentioned but it will not get it again Im afraid. Back to the 3.5 V6 powerplant. Its reliable its the little engine that could, and it surprises me everytime, but its no work horse for ease of towing good size weight. Imo it should do a lot better this time around. We may get an extra 500lbs for towing BUT keep in mind that has more to do with weight reduction then straight raw power and technology enhancement. When you break it down that equals out to be 250-300lbs more capability only vs last model. We also have waited about 10 years for the this to happen.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I really don't understand why it is a struggle to tow a tent trailer. I have been towing a boat and trailer that weigh just shy of 4500 lbs for the past 4 years through the hills of New England. We have gone up dirt roads to steep dirt ramps. We have yanked the boat out of slippery salt water covered boat ramps. We have climbed the mountains in NH. We have had no problem at all. Do I know it is back there? Absolutely. However, it always maintains its speed and has had no issues. I must be missing something about how other people tow with their trucks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I agree. I don't know how much a tent trailer weighs, but it can't be all that much. I tow a boat that weighs 1500 pounds all over the place, and I barely feel it. I tow another boat that weighs about 4200 pounds, only for short distances - I feel that, for sure, but I expect to. Still goes up hills OK, but since the motor is pulling twice the weight it usually does, it's only half as peppy. Physics wins.

Flymo

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Methinks it was a troll.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts